Universal MARVEL Contest of Champions - (by Kabam)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 6, 2014.

1. thudoi

thudoi Member

Feb 27, 2013
    This game need internet connect to play ?

2. [Soft Launch] MARVEL Contest of Champions - (by Kabam)

Yes dude it was said at least twice just in the previous page.

3. RomanReigns

RomanReigns Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2014
    There's no need to create new account..all you need is to change country temporarily and enter postcode for country you willing to change to..after downloading,back to where you were :p i usually go for this method everytime :D

4. morphman

morphman Active Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Can you explain that method in greater detail.

Also in the past I have made accounts for NZ and CAN but now I see that the "none" option has been remove and it forces you to add a credit card with a billing address in the target country.

Any luck or explanation ?

5. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    You have to try and download a free game and then choose "Create an Account" or whatever from there for the "None" option to show up.

6. Pham

Pham Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Denmark
    The "None" option is also disabled now, when creating a new account from the phone.

7. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Did you try and download the game first, then choose "create a new account" from the popup that happens right after? Or did you scroll to the bottom and click on "sign in" and then "create new account" from there?

I just did this for myself, and it didn't work doing the second way, but it DID work doing the first way and it even auto selected the "None" option under payment methods.

8. rhljk14

rhljk14 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Swansea, MA
  9. morphman

morphman Active Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Thank you! The None button has returned. I think you would have to do this from a computer as you cant browse other territories on the phone without logging into an account AFAIK.

10. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Glad it worked! Yes it's annoying you can't switch to different App Stores on mobile like you can on desktop. I've found that if you open an international iTunes link on mobile Safari (i.e. https://itunes.apple.com/dk/app/marvel-contest-of-champions/id896112560?mt=8 for this game) then it will take you to the App Store and switch you to the correct country's version.

11. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    #31 oscar123967, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    Any first impressions from avid Injustice players? Ups and downs compared? Is this going to replace injustice?

12. mumurai

mumurai New Member

Oct 8, 2014
    Game Impressions

I’m an avid injustice player (been playing from the beginning, play almost every day, participate in all of the challenges etc) and I’ve been playing Contest of Champions since last night (waiting for next Injustice challenge on Thursday) so I can give some first impressions from that perspective:

Gameplay: I think the first thing I noticed was how fast paced the fighting is in CoC compared to Injustice. Fights are generally much faster and I do enjoy the ability to string combos here. So you have light, medium, and heavy attacks and can block. The one main addition is the ability to dash forward or backwards. With the pace of the fighting, it almost seems like a necessity for this game, as dashing back can help you in dodging attacks and dashing forward helps if you want to be the aggressor. I must say, I am enjoying the change of pace.

Specials: So, similar to Injustice, you have special meters on the bottom right but here they only fill up (I think) when you inflict damage (think this also encourages aggressive gameplay which quickens the pace as well). I think there are three levels of specials (I’ve only unlocked the second) so I can’t quite give a full, fair comparison but at the moment I think I kind of prefer the specials in Injustice. They seem to be more impactful/powerful but I’m still early in the game so maybe I should progress a bit further before passing judgment. The special bars fill at a similar pace to the ones in Injustice I think.

Different champions also have different effects or “buffs” which make them unique. For example, Wolverine has some regenerative powers which activate at certain points during the fight, though I’m not sure exactly when/how they activate. He also causes bleeding which results damage over time to his opponent (similar to Injsutice), as do many other champions. I like that when something like that is in effect, a little icon pops up, giving you an indication as to how much longer the effect will last. It can help with things like timing when to execute specials (e.g. I was fighting Iron Man and he has a timed armor boosting buff so I knew when not to use my specials on him).

Characters: There are 4 tiers of characters, ranging from 1star to 4 star (like the bronze, silver, gold cards). You can level up your characters using gold (one of the in game currencies) and something called ISO-8 which you collect through quests (quests are kind of like battle ladders in Injustice, though not as linear) and pvp. Once your champion reaches level 10, you can rank them up (which requires a catalyst, which you can only obtain via special quests, yeah there is a lot to remember), which provides a significant boost to stats and unlocks another special bar. I’ve only managed to rank up one 1 star get a couple of 2star cards (unranked) to this point and they are definitely more powerful than the 1 star cards, though the jump may not be quite as big as going from bronze to silver. I’ve managed to defeat 2 star champions with 1 star champions at a similar level. However, they do have higher base stats and I think that higher star champions can reach higher ranks. A 1 star champ can only reach rank 2, whereas a 2 star can reach rank 3. I’m sure the other tiers can rank up further so the gap quickly widens as the champions are leveled and ranked up.

What I dislike the most is HOW you obtain new champions. With Injustice, you can either save up to directly buy a card, or you can chance it with a booster pack. In CoC, it’s all luck based. You have to buy a crystal (like a booster pack) which, when shattered, reveals your prize. There is a crystal which contains 1 and 2 star champions and there is a premium crystal which contains 2-4 star characters (I think I also won a 2 star champ crystal, but I don’t see an option for that in the store). I really dislike it because, not only can you NOT save up for a specific character, but you cannot even save up for a guarantee at a high tier character (with injustice, at least when you open a gold booster, you know you’re at least getting a gold card, even if it’s Bane). I’ve opened one premium crystal and got a 2 star. I am okay with having this “lottery” system but only if it’s an option. I much prefer how Injustice does it.

This is much longer than I intended it to be. But basically, I am currently enjoying the game. There are enough things I don’t like about it such that I don’t think it’s going to replace Injustice for me personally. However, there are definitely enough elements in the game to keep me interested for now so I’ll keep playing. I love the marvel characters and the fighting is fun enough for me to keep at it for now.

13. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Thank you, really appreciate it :)
    Yeah the progression system seems to be better in injustice, though I do like the more interactive combat in this game. I guess I'll interchange between the two when it launches

Is the pvp real time?

14. mumurai

mumurai New Member

Oct 8, 2014
    No problem. No it's not (at least I'm pretty sure it's not because you can pause the match at any point). There also seems to be no real ranking system either. They show you and your opponent's records and stats and seem to match you up based on the level of the champion you're using. I wonder if they make it progressively harder as you extend your winning streak because it seemed like, whenever I started winning upwards of 7, 8, 9 in a row, I would start getting paired with stronger opponents but once I lost, seemed to go back down in difficulty. Seems weird though, since there are no rewards for win streaks right now (from what I can tell). The prize for winning a fight is a vs crystal which can contain varying amounts of ISO-8 or gold, energy refills etc. and a *slight* chance at a 3 star champion I think (prizes are flashed across the screen as the crystal is turning and I can see a 3 star champ). Either way, pvp matching seems definitely more balanced than online in injustice. Also, there doesn't seem to be anything analogous to the defensive battles system in Injustice

15. hitmantb

hitmantb Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    #35 hitmantb, Oct 8, 2014
    Injustice has a shallow fighting system, really weak AI and a terrible online security team that doesn't know the basics of anti-cheating in online games.

Character data were left offline! Android/jailbreak users could save/reload over and over until they get the card they want, there was a bug that allowed you to collect unlimited PVP reward for months. All amateur mistakes that could have been easily avoided. And end game contents included one challenge every two weeks, farm one single stage (BB6) for the rest of your lives, PVP was about who could play more matches because AI is so weak, at equal gear it has zero chance against a real player.

With all the flaws, it was enough to be a top 50 grossing game, and drew me in for quite some time. This sounds much better, can't wait to check it out! The fighting + card collecting formula is just too compelling.

Hope someone will do it right. Capcom, SNK, Namco, what are you waiting for?

Real time PVP in a future update please!!!!!

16. mumurai

mumurai New Member

Oct 8, 2014
    Yeah, that's something I didn't mention. AI is definitely better. Also, there are character classes and certain classes are boosted/vulnerable to other classes which also adds a nice dynamic and encourages you to have a diverse roster

17. Freeway82

Freeway82 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    #37 Freeway82, Oct 8, 2014
    Man, the lottery part killed this game. It seems also that no matter how you time the lottery spin, you are predetermined to get the same result or lower tier items and fighters.

How else can one explain my 112 attempts, with crystals, to get the punisher but always end up getting the same meager 75 iso 8?

I spent my last 200 money unit to purchase 2 crystals for 2 - 4 stars characters spins and ended up getting the same exact 2 star characters, of which i already have one of as one of my fighters, thus wasting precious resources that are so difficult to come by.

The game is really good, especially the fighting, and is a million times better than the fighting in Injustice but if they do not change the way you obtain characters and let me purchase my characters directly for a reasonable price, i am sorry i would not spend a dime on this game as i earlier planned because i hate everything that has to do with gambling, lottery and it's uncertainties.

18. hitmantb

hitmantb Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Lottery is standard in this type of games, just ask how Puzzles and Dragons made a billion dollars.

You may not like it, but this will allow this game to go a lot higher on top grossing chart than Injustice ever did.

19. Shwqa

Shwqa Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    I am 100% certain the outcome of the lottery is predetermined, the spin is for effect. They did the same thing in other marvel f2p games. Also that is the industry standard for lottery spins. You almost get the grand prize every time, and that gets you to buy more spins.

20. Pham

Pham Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Denmark
    Thanks for clearing that up!