Universal MARVEL Contest of Champions - (by Kabam)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 6, 2014.

1. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    That's the answer I was looking for. That definitely won't make me want to give it a try. I'd rather be able to at least save up for a specific character than have everything be based on chance.

2. Mekklesack

Mekklesack Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    A roulette system is rigged by design, but what they built around that system really works, besides all that matters is the class and the rank of the fighter, not so much the face. But I would love a 4 star Juggernaut.

3. Mekklesack

Sep 4, 2012
    I am really liking this game, they should run it through iOS 8 Metal to smooth out the frame rate, it would add some extra shine to something that is well polished already. That and I think the vs match up screen could be "evened out" more on tablets that are not wide screen, also you should be able to zoom in on characters in the info and rank-up screens. There's a lot of "misuse of screen real estate" going that needs to be addressed in the GUI, characters are either too small or cropped off when they are on display in a bunch of the menu screens. Also I miss seeing the Collector in his glasses, where did that inspired piece of art go? # it's buried deep somewhere forgettable.

4. nwong

nwong Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2015
    You are really lucky!
    I only have 2 and 3 star champions.
    But it was enough to complete the game.
    How long did it take for you to get a 4star hulk?

5. Mekklesack

Sep 4, 2012
    Who me? I don't have a 4 star Hulk, I wish I had a 4 star mystic like Juggernaut (the big brown guy with metal dome on his head welded to his suit). I also actually haven't completed the game yet, I play it these days in short bursts, so it doesn't become monotonous, it's always fun that way (and the game seems meant to be enjoyed that way anyway). To get a 4 star champ, just keep on playing and leveling up and one should just drop, that's all I did.

6. nwong

nwong Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2015
    My bad something went wrong with replying to the guy who posted he just got a 4 star hulk.
    I wish I had more time on my hands so i could get a 4 star hero through the contests but it's hard to compete against those who have to much time on their hands :D
    Rhino is indeed a cool guy to have especially with his unstoppable power.
    I prefer Iron Fist! He's quite handy to have with his power to destroy armour :)

7. CrazedJava

CrazedJava Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    I'm not bagging on people still enjoying the game. I found the roulette system frustration. Also, it is not true roulette, it's going to land on whatever it decided from the beginning. It is random, but there is nothing about it that lets the player have any effect on the outcome.

However, I find it frustrating. I know there is not a ton of difference between the characters, but I'd still like a Captain America. A lot of the characters that are out there are B-listers at best and some not even that.

The other features they've added, like Alliances, got really old with Marvel Puzzle Quest. On one hand I don't mind having a social aspect to a game, but I'd also like a decent chance of achieving things on my own as well.

A shame because I do think from a control and graphic standpoint, CoC is still the best. But it's IAP practices are the worst and drove me away. I still subscribe to this thread because I hope against hope they will change it, but have already deleted the game because Kabam is making enough money that they have zero incentive to.

8. Mekklesack

Sep 4, 2012
    #368 Mekklesack, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    Well, I was there with you, after seeing the tide of games with more complicated pay walls coming around from the horizon, but I had already sank in so much time, and it was still easy to accomplish things during a lunch break (especially after a few item drops from the debugging department or whatever) that I've decided to continue. The developers seem very hands on and responsive, they care about servers and community support, and Alliances are most likely for "peer pressure" spending but there's enough going on that things stay interesting, at least for me. I also like that it's shaping up to be a decent fighter on mobile devices. At first it seemed stingy (and it is) but what's been built around that aspect is highly functional (not everything takes you directly to the cash mall in every play through) and if it were premium I would buy it. Not since BloodMasque have I enjoyed a mobile game so much partially because there is some sense that I'm making progress, and I'm accomplishing something in the game.

EDIT: that and I enjoy the free stuff. I used to worry about specific characters too, until I had a couple hundred fights, now all I worry about is having a high enough power index and the right class match up.

9. Mekklesack

Sep 4, 2012
    No problem, I'm taking my time grinding so I can be prepared for Thanos. #

10. nwong

nwong Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2015
    I upgraded 5 (3*star) heroes to the max and had to use several revive potions and healing potions to beat thanos.
    Not sure who's on your team but Spiderman and Thor did the most damage on Thanos for me.
    So I would only use the revive potions on them.

My team was Deadpool,Spiderman,Thor,Ironman and Punisher.

11. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Not too long, I played on early release and quit out but assume I used my luck up on him. Are 4 stars a big rarity? Struggling trying to get his upgrade materials.

12. nwong

nwong Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2015
    Yeah they are very rare!
    I have been playing from the start and have used many crystals but never got one.
    Maybe I am lucky because it would take ages to max upgrade it ;)
    I think you need to enter certain tournaments to get the special materials for the final upgrade.
    I can't confirm but have seen people ranting on facebook about it.

13. RichRuzz

Aug 19, 2012
    Ah, crapola! Are 3 starts a good investment? Got a few and just got Punisher from a 3 star crystal.

14. nwong

nwong Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2015
    It's possible to finish the game with only 3 star characters.
    So they are a good investment!
    I only focussed on the heroes that have good synergy levels with eachother to bump up the stats some more.
    If you have the Hulk I would pare him with the likes of thor and iron man if you have them.

15. RichRuzz

Aug 19, 2012
    Crap, I lack them so far. Add me as a friend in-game. My name is Rich not sure if usernames are unique. Also any active alliances?

16. Mekklesack

Sep 4, 2012
    Thank you! From what I understand Thanos is Cosmic, so I want as many high ranking Mystics as possible. Thanos is a 5 star Champion too so I need to make sure not to bother with Tech based champions when I finally encounter him. Just about any other high ranking match up will do though. It's a very good thing that you don't require Alpha Catalysts to rank up 3 star champions to max. I have two 3 Star Mutants and one 3 Star Mech class and it's a cruel joke when Kang is a Tech (good against Mutants) and Thanos is Cosmic (good against Tech), but they'll have to do for now. #

17. nwong

nwong Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2015
    I will see if I can find you otherwise just go look for Ronin666.
    I am sitting in a good alliance but they have rules where your team rating needs to on a certain level otherwise they will boot you out.
    Maybe we can do a TA group? But not sure how many people still play it haha

18. nwong

nwong Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2015
    Thanos is indeed Cosmic. It's strange but he's actually easier to beat then Kang.
    Atleast I had more trouble with Kang. He was super fast and his special attack went straight through my blocks.
    I wouldn't fully focus on getting Mystic champions because you will still need some other characters on your way to Thanos. I am going for a second run on Thanos after I maxed out my Iron Fist.
    And trying to go on a grind run to find some more revive potions :)

19. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Hey, I started the TouchArcade alliance, I think you joined it? I started it a couple months ago and it filled up in a manner of minutes, but I think it was mostly people just joining to get the free gift. Practically everyone in it is not active at all, so when I send out help requests or anything nobody ever answers them. So I booted a bunch of people and made the alliance invite only, now I'm just trying to figure out where I can recruit some active players. If you are the Rich that joined, then welcome :)

Hey, if you're looking for a new alliance you can join TouchArcade. Also if you know anyone else who would want to join let me know. I'm not so much worried about team rating or anything I just want people who are active so we can earn those alliance points to buy the special crystals.

If anyone else still reading this thread wants to join the TouchArcade alliance, send a request in game and reply to this thread with your username so I know who you are.

20. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Andysmasher, requesting to join the Alliance.
    I came back for the Ultron event, which has been great fun so far. Phase 2 of it just began, so get in here so we can mess stuff up!