Universal MARVEL Contest of Champions - (by Kabam)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Hawkeye67

Hawkeye67 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    The only reason I played Injustice for months was because it got me interested in the DC universe. I have never read comics or watched cartoons. So Injustice was a way for me to get into DC.

This game, though, has just a few generic character models with zero personality and different skins thrown on. Characters don't have their own unique attack animations.

Marvel failed to understand that Injustice Mobile was never meant to make money through IAP (although it does earn well). Injustice was a means to convert legions of young non-fans into DC nerds. The value of THAT is far more to a franchise, than any income from the app store.

2. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    No, it was a cheap and easy to produce tie-in to a console game which fulfilled the trend of second-screen experiences which was popular at the time and was meant to make money.

3. Hawkeye67

Hawkeye67 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Fair enough. I don't think either of us is in a position to say exactly what the intention was.

Allowing players to build a deep roster and less of monetization would have been the better way to go here.
    With Injustice I never once felt the need to spend a dime. It seemed to me almost a conscious effort on their part to avoid building a paywall.

4. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    The game was specifically intended to get mobile customers to play the console game, thus raising more awareness of the game. There was a huge paywall in Injustice for quite a while though, and people well knew they were trying to cash in on the property with its mobile tie-in. I supported the game early on but eventually grew very tired of the continual grinding and randomization of rewards. This game is on par with Injustice in that regards. But most definitely, Netherealm studio's intentions were to make any extra buck they could out of injustice. Further proof? Look at all the damn DLC skins and then the 5 characters they added......should've all been there from day 1.....

5. spooky23

spooky23 Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2011
    So both games are still paywall inflicted?

I'm a sucker for Marvel/DC. Comic nerd. I've only just started to play both of these games but I'm getting the distinct feeling it's going to be a hollow experience if I'm forever grinding and never upgrading characters.

6. Mess

Mess Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Yep to be honest it is.

I was really into this game at launch, was gong to buy some IAP's to support the Dev, but the gameplay is just too repetitive and predictable. The multiplayer is just AI playing the teams from real players, which basically means you can beat them fairly easily until you get to the level were they take a massive amount of your HP in one hit.
    And every character might as well be the mimics, or whatever they are called, as they may look different but there actions are all fairly similar.
    The crystals seemed like a good idea, but you can't control what you get and most of the time you'll get a useless 1 star or some coins...

Was playing it all the time when it launched, now I haven't opened it for around 2 weeks... It's a shame as I did enjoy it, but it's too much of a grind now :(

7. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Same here. Loved it at first but the drawback is mainly that even if you pay money it's still a lottery. Unless you buy a champion when they come on special but that costs extra. Then the moves are very repetitive. Same old same old.

Gone back to Injustice which kills this game. But gave it a go yet found it falling very short of what Marvel can produce. I haven't played either for a couple of weeks. Keep getting bad draws just rubbish prizes. Not worth the effort anymore.

8. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Agreed 100% man.

9. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    Still haven't gotten a 3 star champion yet despite weeks of play and even using real,money.

10. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Ouch. Me either but I didnt spend anything. Unlike Injustice I must of spent $20 or more already.

11. Rangerlump

Rangerlump Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Anyway to grind a 2'star hero up to 4 ??? I have a 2 star hulk and ranking him up. When i max will I jump to 3'stars? Or is the only way to get a 4 star hulk to buy 1000's of crystals????????

12. xiel

xiel Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    2 stars will stay 2 stars forever, they don't turn 3 or 4 stars.

13. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    That sucks. Dungeon Boss isnt like that thats why I like that game a lot more. Well and Injustice.

14. Mess

Mess Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Another reason why this game is broken :(
    spending real money should give some benefit. I.e there should be a 1/2 star and 3/4 star crystals. There should be a grind to the 3/4 one, or just buying some iap would get you one. Or something like that. This game has too many different crystals...

I managed to get a 3 star Hawkeye in the event a few weeks ago (not sure how as I placed in the last bracket, I think it was a mistake!!)

15. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    #275 chief78, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    Agreed on the crystals. Quests can earn a 2* crystal, but then a premium is anywhere from 2 to 4 stars. It should be 3-4 for a premium crystal. Hell, for $5, it should be a guaranteed 4*. They're so stupid with the pay model, yet there are idiots out there with absolutely no lives and they will spend $100s for next to nothing or nothing. Kabaam has to be sitting back laughing their @$$s off.....

To answer the rank-up question, a 2* stays a 2*, but getting them to lvl 3 (I.e. Rank up twice) will open up that character's 3rd special move. I'm working on this for two 2* heroes right now....not sure how powerful that 3rd move will be compared to a 3* of the same hero.

EDIT: Got my 2* Thor to lvl 3 (not leveled up yet) and the 3rd special is pretty devastating. Even though he's still not even 300 rating, he at least packs a punch with his finisher, being a 2* and all.

16. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    I just finished a quest and was awarded '2 star champion' crystal didn't know they existed till now but they do. Still no 3 star champion yet. A real shame. Good game but I still can't give it more than 1/5 because of the silly crystal lottery even if you've paid.

17. scape211

scape211 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Graphic Designer
    Yea the IAP model for this game is quite appalling. Its like they saw Injustice and said 'we can do that, but since its marvel lets rake people over the coals.' Pretty sad.

I don't know if they plan to make changes to the structure, but I don't plan to give this more than a couple days unless I hear otherwise.

18. CrossbowRules

CrossbowRules Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2014
    I agree with most of the posts here regarding the IAP. It's just absurd. Spending money and then all you're gonna get is a 2-star hero. Not good at all!

19. Mess

Mess Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Deleted. Not playing it. The IAP/crystal lottery ruined it.

Was fun before I got to this point though, but it's time to free up the space for something more fun :D

20. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Having played a bunch of Marvel-inspired games in the past year, it would be nice to see one worth playing that was not horribly broken by IAPs... Hey, a guy can dream, right? :rolleyes:;)

DBC