Universal MARVEL Contest of Champions - (by Kabam)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 6, 2014.

1. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Oh, 100% agreed there is no paywall. I meant a literal grinding wall, like when you aren't high enough level to beat an RPG boss and you have to grind out random encounters for hours to level up. I'm going to need to grind completed PVE content to get ISO to level my heroes and then grind daily events for a long time to get the resources needed to rank up. I'm stuck unable to get far in Act 2 until I have better heroes, and that's just going to take a lot of grinding.

2. Nemer

Nemer Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    College/Part job
    Far far away
    This game is fun but has a very strange freemium model. You could spend lots of money and get nothing. Im sure they will change that because so far there is very little to encourage people to spend cash.

3. ypai1217

ypai1217 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2013
    You can still lose to 2 star opponents with maxed out teams. The ai adjusts (boosts) opponent teams power index rating.

4. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    I love and hate the random draws. I was super excited to get my first 3* hero today (Iron Fist), but the randomness of it all is a little weird. Ah well, maybe I'll get lucky in the daily draw? Do people get lucky in the daily draw?

5. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Nope.

6. Legendary_Slayer

Legendary_Slayer Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2012
    Can you confirm they get boosted past max level? Because a lot of guys in the forum say they don't. I've never seen one past the 460 range.

7. ypai1217

ypai1217 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2013
    Not yet .. But I have faced off against 2 star guys who have a 400 plus pi rating and still don't have their characters ultimate attacks unlocked (so not even rank 3) .. So I might be wrong if others can confirm that they don't go above 460.

8. ttkwan

ttkwan Member

Apr 5, 2009
    They may not get boosted past max level, but they will throw you teams with 3 star champions...

9. xiel

xiel Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    I really hate the fact that the third bar is unblockable. It is literally impossible to win at higher ratings e.g. you are 600 and you are fighting 1.1k. The third bar ultimate takes half of my life away. There is basically no chance of winning the battle because of it.

10. aikavari

aikavari Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    I got 3, 3-stars, all of them Science... :-(

11. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    If you're willing to pay you should be able to buy a 3'star outright. In Avengers you can buy the heroes outright either with accumulated command points or cash but with this game not even cash gets you a 3 star. Grossly imbalanced and unfair.

I'm happy to put in a bit for the dev because it's an ok game but all I've gotten is 2 star champions. I have a total of 10 x2 star champions and not one 3'star. Very unfair system.

12. Mess

Mess Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Agreed. 9 x 2 star and a 3 star Hawkeyes from that event (which I think was a mistake!)

13. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Been reading the prev pages, and I've come to a point of "F this game." The last 3v3 tourney, I put in a ton of time and only got a premium crystal, which yielded another 1* hero I could care less about. I even spent $2 on the Collector's pack that popped up during the holidays and got not 1, not 2, but 3 damn duplicates. Top it all off with the grind wall in PvE, and this game is a huge turnoff.

As far as spending money goes, a few people said they have spent well over $100 and not gotten a damn thing. Considering the absolutely crappy odds (1/1000 for 4*), I think this game will draw only those who will pay to win. It's too bad, as I was enjoying this game. Another damn Marvel property ruined by a Pay to Win" greed model.......Losing faith in anything Marvel.

14. Legendary_Slayer

Nov 11, 2012
    Not in the 3* event. Only 2* can compete.

15. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    And really, even if you spend money and get something good, you can't do anything worthwhile with it without grinding leveling resources. I think that's the big flaw. I hate having a random dice roll decide if I get to level a character. Why can't they just gain XP in battles, so there's a chance? Still make the resource to rank up be random / behind a long event, but let us level!

16. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    This could have been a real classic like Avengers if the pay model were fair. Oh well back to Avengers the best f2p out there. They can still fix it if they listen to their fan base but it depends too much on luck and random elements as far as acquiring 3/4* champions. Very hopeful but also very disappointed.

Let's hope an update addresses this issue in the New Year.

17. Slayex

Slayex Member

Dec 26, 2014
    Question: Should I save all my ISOs till I get tier 4 champs since once I get them I'll have to retire the tier 1-2 champs?

18. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    I haven't played MAA in forever Lol It was nice seeing some of the crew in this thread. And agreed, it's such a random gamble of what u get. Andysmash, I also agree that not being able to just simply gain xp that would naturally level the character doesn't work, with the stupid catalyst system in place instead.

Might just have to get back on MAA....

19. Legendary_Slayer

Nov 11, 2012
    No, since you'll probably be saving them a very long time. I wouldn't upgrade the 1* though, stick to the 2* heroes and better (get a 3* if you can).
    And just a side note, never sell heroes. You never know when they'll be useful in verses.

20. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    Also, your inventory can only hold so much, and then there's the "overflow" box that holds (I think) 10 more items. Another setback as it forces you to use your ISO, preventing any long term strategy to this game..