Universal MARVEL Avengers Academy (by TinyCo, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Lelqtian

Lelqtian Active Member

Nov 30, 2012
    That does it. I got a non-timed quest to go spend 20 bucks on a coin package, to get a similarly priced shard amount, but not really, since the real shard purchase is 1200 shards vs the 1000 quest reward.

I send a strongly worded message on the subject and how wrong I think it is.

These things should be done with something like pop-up and supposedly limited time offers, not being forced on people like this, without the option to turn them down. Also, bottlenecks that send me thinking "Yeah, maybe I could wait a day or two, but maybe I could spend a couple of bucks and be done with it?", but we have enough of those already.

I did buy it afterwards, since I think the game has excellent production values and would really want to see more of it. Someone has done a really excellent job on it, and they should be rewarded for that. Not wuffer because someone decided that just a clever twist on a killer franchise is not enough, and didn't do their job on a real business model.

For some reason, I would terribly hate to see this game go down the drain. Problem is, can they fix it fast enough, before it's extremely dead, or is it too late already ...

2. deadpizza

deadpizza Member

Mar 11, 2012
    The high score reviews are suspicious, all positives are 5 stars, short and similar. with so many 1 star reviews the 4 and a half seems bought and paid for.

3. WL6890

WL6890 New Member

Jan 14, 2009
    It has high production values, but doesn't have much meat on the game yet. It's a decent side game diversion when I'm not playing Marvel Future Fight, which is so far the best marvel game out there at the moment imo.

4. Nemer

Nemer Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    College/Part job
    Far far away
    There is no actual fighting in the game. Family Guy and Simpsons games were ok but with Marvel characters i would expect some kind of battles.

5. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I'd say Future Fight could be the best, but on an iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1, it crashes every time I try to open it. Looked at this title, and couldn't be bothered. Just looks like a scheme to make people money and offer little fun. I'd say LEGO Marvel is my favorite, with the Guardians of the Galaxy game a good second. Premium for me, all the way.

6. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I've been playing it a little if you can call it playing it. Doesn't seem to be any real gameplay or a whole lot going on other than a story. I'll keep trying for a bit longer but not sure how long I'll be able to keep it up for unless there's more to the game I haven't found yet.

7. bigghurt

bigghurt Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2012
    For anyone who has bought any of the paid characters. Do any more show up if you buy any of them? Like if you buy war machine and spider woman is there any option to buy new characters??

8. rune42

rune42 Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I have bought spider woman and war machine. Still the same options available for characters to buy. I will say that either they raised the gold quests pay out today or level 15 greatly increased the payouts. Obtaining gold is much easier now and there seem to be more main quests.

9. Cirnol

Cirnol Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2012
    I came up with a good way to describe this app.

It really is just like an interactive comic. You've got your regular Marvel characters with several good story arcs that are told over an extended period of time.

Normally you'd be waiting a few weeks for a new issue to come out but here you only have to wait a few minutes or hours. If you want to advance the story a little faster, you can pay for crystals to finish quests faster or add in new heroes to the stories a little earlier than they normally would appear.

Gameplay wise, there's not much to it aside from waiting but "how" you manage your wait times is a game itself. It's always better to do the quick quests first and anything that takes longer than an hour and doesn't pay well should be tossed (unless you plan the long quests to happen when you are out doing other things or sleeping). This only applies if you hit the point where tossing out a quest takes an hour. I believe being under level 8 gives you a 20 minute wait. But! If you get a Pym Particle as a reward - do it! These things are hard to come by in my experience. Gold is really not an issue when you hit around level 10. Even if it is a lot of gold for one building or character, doing them in the order presented by quests will help give you back part of what you spend.

So I think this app is really just for Marvel fans who want to experience new stories in a new setting just as if it were a comic they could interact with.

I'm currently level 13 and trying to recruit Captain America. I'm falling behind on story quests since I should already be able to invite Ms. Marvel. I have not spent any real money in this game nor do I plan to.

I just hope the dating update will be fun and useful!

10. Lelqtian

Lelqtian Active Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Money doesn't stop being a problem. I'm level 16 and there's at least 5 purchases at the moment I can't afford.

I also don't have Capt America yet, problem is at some point I unlocked upgrades for both Loki and Spiderwoman, and splitting the quest item rewards 3 results in very slow and painful gathering, to be honest. I don't skip missions, waiting an hour for a bew one is pointless.

At least since I upgraded a couple of things there's been a lot less of characters sitting doing nothing.

Short missions are ok when you have time for those, but if you can't, longer ones are also not bad, not to mention those usually involve 1 character and reward 4 items.

11. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    I'm at level 16, have Captain America, and don't really struggle for cash. What I found helped me the most is prioritizing upgrading buildings at all times. Many of the buildings go from allowing 1-2 heroes complete a quest at a time to allowing 3+ as well as unlocking additional, and often better quests. The value is much better than upgrading characters and much faster than unlocking new heroes. I find now I'm able to obtain several thousand gold each day with little difficulty.

The game definitely has a poor sense of progression as things slow down almost immediately after starting a new game. In addition, if players don't upgrade their buildings they are going to have a lot of heroes sitting around doing nothing, which leads to an overall much slower income rate. Upgrading heroes needs to do more than it currently does, and quests need to be balanced out better. My most hated quests are ones in which multiple heroes involved conflict with each others necessary quest. That is just poor design.

Overall though, the production values and voice talent/writing continue to impress me. While I'd like to see a bit more of a cast, and certainly more interactivity like you see in Tapped Out, I'm enjoy my time with this title.

12. Lelqtian

Lelqtian Active Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Up, going for the new construction and upgrading buildings instead of upgrading the heroes does help out a lot, and I'm not exactly struggling for cash, but it's not really properly balanced.

Just doing the quests and missions leads to levelling, I got rather quickly from 13 to 16 or so, and the unlocks are not really properly spaced out. Bit overwhelming.

Levelling up heroes is almost not worth the money, or trouble in the case of gathering items when needed, except like for quest progression. This is bad design.

13. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    The quests do seem poorly designed and progression is slow and sometimes feels gated by iap which it constantly pushes. Not really much game to it....I'm just playing for the story even if I'm not all that keen still

14. Duranki

Duranki Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Whoever contacted the devs about implementing money-generating buildings, I think you need to contact them again :/ Looks like they listened, but the buildings are only active for 14 days. Am I understanding that correctly? It IS a much better deal in the long-term, versus spending the money on gold directly. Just kinda sucks to spend shards on something temporary.

I think a better solution would be a building that generates less income but never expires. Then again, that's a building that permanently takes up space. Maybe that was the devs' thinking, keeping it active for 14 days? Anyone bite the bullet yet?

15. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I'm not even considering spending money on this, so far everything can be done for free if your patient it seems. Not like there's any rush with this game....I wouldn't even call it a game. Maybe a slightly interactive story?

16. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    216 4 1/2 stars review from us store! How wrong can this game be?

17. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I don't know if some are fixed or people just like games like this....guess it's similar to hs story and Kim karadashian type games or whatever

18. rdmd

rdmd Well-Known Member

May 4, 2014
    Habakuk's husband
    with Habakuk
    I contacted the devs about money generating buildings and when doing it I was kinda afraid they would make them available with shards. But I was ok with that, with one time purchase if the buildings stayed I would buy actually. But they went the greedy way instead. I deleted the game like 2 days ago because there is no progression, when you level up, buy new buildings etc it doesn't reward you for it. Things don't get easier it's a constant grind and at level 16 cost of things go up fast. But I mean I didn't have much expectation really, because it's tinyco. One of the most greedy companies in the store I believe, I played family guy for a while until they just made that game unplayable, items never dropping etc. But these are just my opinion, if anyone's enjoying the game go ahead obviously.

19. Lelqtian

Lelqtian Active Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Money generating buildings are a better deal than straight up getting coins with cash. Both are a waste of time, money generates fairly quickly if you can fire up the game several times a day for a couple of minutes.

For example, I generated enough money since yesterday evening for a 3.3K Loki purchase. I'm lvl 18 now, got all available buildings and upgrades. It's just a matter of managing your missions and hero assignments.

Yea, costs do rise up but - there's a level cap right now. Seems to be 18 - haven't progressed at all since then. Right now I don't mind, I can finish off some purchases - particularly like I said, having several things to gather from missions at the same time is annoying and delays progress on all fronts. I'd also like to finish up any remaining quests, I think I lost the plot somewhere along the way. Not good for a game that has the story as a driving point. New content was teased for the 29th, I thought it was stange, but must have popped up when I leveled up and didn't put 2 and 2 together.

20. deadpizza

deadpizza Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Thinking of buying business time tony outfit, anyone here bought one? I would like to know how the time for test your toys and celebrate the deal actions. The reduce talk to jarvis by 1 hour and a half is great but tony has too many hour long actions already.