Universal MARVEL Avengers Academy (by TinyCo, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Tubatic

Tubatic Member

Jan 8, 2016
    It's charming, but the fact that non-quest actions earn you nothing is a drag. Hopefully it opens up, but it's still such a narrow, linear progression 1 day in.

2. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    I did a too eager review on this game. It was fantastic. The conversations were clever.. It's highly entertaining..
    Until it comes to tasking the heroes.. As mentioned in other posts if you are doing any tasks not on board they are just waste of time.. They don't provide income or anything valuable at all.. This is extremely poor design to be honest.
    I deleted the app but before that gave it a one star on app store! Until they fix that i won't recommend this to anyone.

3. xbtran

xbtran Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Got excited with levelling my avengers and battling hydra in the first few minutes, but everything seems extremely linear. But the games art and dialogue is pretty charming.

4. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    This is an odd thing. Ok. So think of it this way. The only gameplay is sending people on pre-scripted quests. You don't earn extra stuff from activities outside of that. Earning money to spend on decorations is nearly impossible, as you're always broke and desperate for enough cash just to do quests. Everyone gets the same quest line, same few characters and goes at the same pace, unless you spend a significant amount of money (I can unlock Vision for $20, and he will earn 10% more money than others - so 11 gold instead of 10 per mission).

So the only gameplay change that occurs from human to human is when you spend large amounts of money. You can't do anything different to change your gameplay. That's it. No strategy or unique touch. We are all playing the exact same thing.

So why not just watch a video of the best jokes and be done with it?

I'm going to keep playing until the romance opens up, cause I wanna make Tony kiss Loki, but ugh. As it stands, this is hardly even a game.

5. rdmd

rdmd Well-Known Member

May 4, 2014
    Habakuk's husband
    with Habakuk
    Yeah I'm waiting to see if they will add additional content like extra ways to earn money so we can decorate and let's see how the romance thing turns out. for now tho yeah everyone plays the game same

6. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    This game might become more like a visual novel at that point, which is what I'm hoping for. If I could use the resources and tasks I have to romance characters of my choice and have to do the right thing to get them to like me, I'd be REALLY down with this. But if it is, again, a preset quest with no variation, then it'll get deleted.

7. rdmd

rdmd Well-Known Member

May 4, 2014
    Habakuk's husband
    with Habakuk
    I really hope they are seeing these feedback, I think this game has tremendous potential but they have to add some changes.

8. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Just to add on.. There are some combo tasks that requires 2 or more heroes to complete.. Some of the tasks get paired in the oddest manner like one hero 4 hours the other hero 5 mins... So after completing the 5 mins tasks what can u do? Nothing the hero just sit around doing nothing.. U can't get new quests coz it's filled up.. What kind of design is this? Horrible

9. Lelqtian

Lelqtian Active Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Yeah, the game is fun. No idea why branching quests are to be expected. I still kinda like it.

I also don't expect there to be options for romances - whenever those are introduced. I'd rather have no options on those, but that they are well written, rather than options that are full of bland, impersonal dialogue.

However, the quirks are still many. Pace is glacial. There was little point in getting Spider woman, the only questline she can go is her own, so I'm not investing any more cash into either Vision or Warmachine, nor any other shard characters that pop up. What good is a bit of extra gold from quest, when they can't go on any?

The random quests are even more extremely aggravating, beyond my previous point. Most of the time half the time is sitting around doing nothing, while Iron Man and Wasp have like a million things to do.

Gold and XP are grinded very, very slowly. I wish it was not this way, but right now Avengers Academy seems like a fun, not-bad developed idea, saddled with a terribly obvious cash grab.

I wish more developers tried catching flies with honey, I tend to be more willing to spend some cash on a title that doesn't require me to, than one that forces my hand in that direction.

Hopefully, things are changed for the better soon. I'll even take some things even.

10. deadpizza

deadpizza Member

Mar 11, 2012
    #50 deadpizza, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    if you do not like a quest you can delete it by selecting the quest and pressing the garbage bin button, A new quest will be up in 15 min.

One of the biggest problems with this game is that upgrading characters and buildings can do more harm than good. Upgraded iron man to 3 star and the only deference is he now has a 8 hour quest for 50 gold. Before i was getting 1 hour quests for 30 gold,I wish i never upgraded him.

11. kyoukusanagi

kyoukusanagi Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    meanwhile, while meeting the marvel's board

"... great, so now we just need to add incentive for players. give them a taste so they'll splurge more money"

"excuse me?"

"you know, give them free gems. a taste of the item shop.."

"wait, did you say free?"

"well, yes. its an incen..."

"you're fired"

the next day...

"so we just add this quest that tells you to buy the gems, and they'll get double"

"free... double?"

"well yes... we need incen..."

"F@CK INCENTIVES! THIS IS MARVEL! PEOPLE WILL THROW THEIR LIFE SAVINGS ON THE SCREEN TO GET THEIR FAVORITE MARVEL CHARACTER ON THEIR PHONE!"

"but..."

"you're fired"

the next day...

"so we think that quest was a good idea. but... we'll make it the cheapest box in the store for the double gift... and! we'll price spider woman the exact price so they'll have to use it to buy that extra character!"

"i like that idea"

"and we wont release any new cool character that people actually want... until they spend all their money. say.. a month or two?"

"kid... you are going places"

12. Lelqtian

Lelqtian Active Member

Nov 30, 2012
    When you skip a quest, it's a 15 min wait at lvl 6, 30 min at 7. I just hit lvl 8, and the wait time jumped to a full hour.

Yeah, the task that pairs Iron Man's 8 hour wait and Black Widow's 5 min timer is ridiculous, but since skipping quest becomes more and more counter productive (I hope 1 hour is the max wait for a new task) one can hope there's other stuff for Natasha to do.

But with 4 tasks on the board, there's always at least 2 chars sitting around doing nothing, sometimes more. Like, 90 % of them require Iron Man or Wisp, sometimes Loki or Widow, and rarely anything for Falcon, almost always in a 3 person task, and even more rarely for Spiderwoman, a premium character. At least those are single person, 30 min task, that seems to pay well, 50 gold I think (which includes some kind of bonus supposedly)

I see absolutely no point in dishing cash for premium characters, that will add to the long list of people doing nothing.

I still kinda like the game, but it's getting more insanely cash grabbing the more I play.

13. rdmd

rdmd Well-Known Member

May 4, 2014
    Habakuk's husband
    with Habakuk
    #53 rdmd, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    I'm at level 8 right now, I just upgraded the library to level 2 which costed 600 something. I also repaired the fury's building which costed 680 something. To enroll enchantress, I need 1000 more. To upgrade widow to level 2 costs 900 something. And I need the clothes store for a quest which costs 640 something. My biggest problem is that I can't make money with the quests, everything got so expensive suddenly. And this is a city building game, if you can afford all these, then you can customize the city if you have anything left over. Another concern of mine is why are we upgrading the heroes, aside from quests? I don't see a return from the upgraded heroes. Costs 900 to upgrade widow, and what's the return? 10% more money coming from quests. Really not worth it.

On help section on the upper right, there is a contact us feature, it's like a text you can send them. I told them about my concerns and asked if there will be a setting like family guy quest for stuff where we can buy buildings etc. which will generate money in time. If you have concerns etc. it is a cool feature to communicate I thought. If I hear back from them, I will let you guys know.

edit: They replied pretty fast, she said she would suggest to the team the idea of buildings earning credits. We will see.

14. deadpizza

deadpizza Member

Mar 11, 2012
    you make good points Lelqtian, most quest are ironman and wasp. spiderwoman was a huge waste of money, cost me 7 bucks and only has 1 quest that shows up rarely.

15. Lelqtian

Lelqtian Active Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Tecnically, it gets a tas better, at lvl 9 another mission slot opens, and there has been a tad of variety in quests, I tend to rotate more characters, particularly Spider Woman pops up a tad more since the Firing Range upgrade, but still, at any given time there is at least 3 people having nothing to do, while two characters are always with tons of stuff to do, right now it's Loki and BW.

Money still is painfully slow, though. Right now, I have to spend 1000k credits for recruiting Enchantress, another 1K for a Black Widow upgrade, 900 creds for a BW costume, and then there's 2 buildings to upgrade for another 2K. Ridiculous.

At least the wait time seems to top off at an hour for skipping task, since lvl 9 didn't bring another extension. Hopefully, it stays that way.

Another thing that's a bit peculiar are quest item rewards from the missions. Pim particles, needed to clear out rubble are almost non-existant, as are Enchantress items, after a starting rush. Same when I was recruiting Falcon. This is beyond perplexing.

Really, I think they really jumped the gun on this one and rushed it out in wide release too quickly. Nothing is balanced at all, I mean they were in soft launch for like a month or so? And over the Christmas holidays? What did they test, if the game runs at all?

16. Den Den

Den Den Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Maybe they intentionally designed the "game" this way, to make you spend money? There's a certain group/demographic that won't hesitate and will spend huge amounts on "games" like these, they are the real target. After all, those people pay for the game so you can "play" and enjoy it for free. :)

17. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Looking at the app store reviews I must say the issue is not the game but it's me. Lol

18. Laire

Laire Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Overworked Graphic Designer :)
    It's basically "The Simpsons: Tapped Out" or "Family Guy: The Quest For Stuff." But without revenue from buildings and actions that have no purpose at all without a quest, progression is pretty much a one-trick money.

Throw out quests until you get a full set of usable ones, ignore the game for several hours, return for your next sliver of progression.

The formula CAN work with certain player markets, seeing as how Simpsons/Family Guy have maintained positions in the Top 150 grossing games for ages.

But without a 'customizable' city, obtainable currency or relevant character actions, I don't see this one having long-term appeal.

19. Lelqtian

Lelqtian Active Member

Nov 30, 2012
    I would actually not mind spending some money on this game, as I find it fun actually. If it wasn't such an obvious cash grab and the prices weren't this high. If stuff seems affordable, and there's a small constant stream of currency, I could see myself splurging some cash to grab some stuff.

But but spend 20$/€ for a character (Vision, 1000, or Hulk, 1500, and he's not really hard currency only, it's just an early unlock) to earn the tiniest bit of currency (50/100)? No way. Thank got it's a timed quest and it goes away in 48 hours.

Not to mention having extra characters is counter productive right now, as I've already mentioned.

I haven't been this put off spending money on a F2P game in ages.

20. istako

istako Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2012
    This concept was infinitely more interesting before I played it. Seriously, who plays this type of game? Its slow, clunky, not logical in any way to any of the Marvel universes and its not in any way enjoyable. Total waste of resources...