Universal MARVEL Avengers Academy (by TinyCo, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Feb 3, 2016.

1. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    LOL squids ######

2. cheehoG

cheehoG Member

Jul 12, 2013
    Just wondering if I finished an activity without any quest going on will I get any exp or credits from it?

3. Cirnol

Cirnol Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2012
    I'm a big Marvel fan and I like the concept. I'm going to be sticking to this for a while despite the timers. Sure, I already have a 4 hour quest but it can be done overnight. I really like the graphics and artstyle. They seem to have done a good job with the animations too.

For now it seems like an entertaining game to check out every now and then and it also helps that I have someone else to play with and compare our academies while describing what characters are doing (Loki's been dancing by himself for the past hour and a half).

I'm sticking with it so if anyone has questions feel free to ask and I'll try and find out the answers. I'd say if you are a big Marvel fan, at least try it out.

4. jeanshortswag

jeanshortswag New Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Funny dialogue

First off, I just love the idea of the avengers we all know and love as teens. Not just the teenage avengers (spider man, etc.). I love the conversations in the game and the dialogue that's exchanged. I also love the lines that are said when you tap on a character. I was surprised by one of Wasp's line's. She says: "I may seem sweet, but if you piss me off, I will sting you." As hilarious as the line is, it's surprising to find mild language in a game that seems like it's targeted towards kids. I mean, teenage avengers? That says it all right there. That being said, I'm an adult and I love the game. I love Marvel Comics and Marvel movies, so this game is right for me. Also, it delivers a fresh take on the characters. For some reason I like this game more than the Simpson's and family guy. The Simpson's was too repetitive and Family Guy just seemed so boring, I could never get into it... Anyway, I'm looking forward to whatever future updates there are to come.

5. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    i'm pretty sure i will like this as a marvel fan, but.. does this have Spider-man ?

6. WjndWalk3r

WjndWalk3r Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2015
    They have spider woman instead :D

7. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Still counts! though imagine playing through the romance chocies between Mj and felicia as Peter...

8. bigghurt

bigghurt Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2012
    There is no way to gain exp or items outside of the prerequisite missions on the board doing anything besides those with characters gives nothing(to answer the question from the person earlier)

9. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
    You have to admit the game does look great and it has some snappy lines from the young heros.

i cant see this game being a hit, ok its marvel and depending on whats been agreed between marvel and tinyco there is
    such a large pool of heroes that they could tap into. BUT like tinyco other game family guy that been hammered by the critics (including TA) this has the good old dreaded "you have to wait to come back later" for a while these games where all the range at one point now thankfully developers have waked up to the fact they are not "fun" and people are keeping their money in their pockets instead of shelling out on that IAP.

What i dont like is within 2 mins of playing the game, you then hit with times of over 1 hour or more. I prefer to at lest play the game for hour or so BEFORE then we have to settle down to the grind or maybe just maybe spend some of that iap currency the game gives you. Cause by then you at lest you have a good idea of.. yeah im going to keep playing this or no im going to delete it and move on.

What market is tinyco aiming this game at? With its cartoon looking hip heros you could argue it's aimed at kids yet todays generation of kids grown up with the net they not going to wait around for hour to do something they want to start playing now and doing something now.

I admit i was looking forward to this due to the trailer adverts looked like it had a lot of humour and it does..kind of....

Im just disappointed that they have not listen to why people hate family guy and done things different.

10. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    well, as a Marvel fan, i really wanted to like this.
    It's charming and the characters are well written.
    But it's not a game, at least for me.
    After you get the Black Widow like 10 mins in the game, it becomes

Select quests for the heroes, wait 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours.
    Log back in after 1 hour, select next quest (30 secs) wait 2 hours.
    I don't know what idiocy is this, or why they expect to make money this way.
    Select a quest, 30 secs. Build, 30 secs. Then wait, wait WAIT. almost comical...

11. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    If you start the game with the right expectations then you're going to love it! It's a free to play city builder with marvel characters. That's what I expected. That's what I got. And that's what I am enjoying.

There seems to be much more of a story line than with others of this genre. And mixed in to that are some quite clever punny lines. If you choose the quests properly I have been able to bang some out during play time as well as save some for overnight and now work. Just don't necessarily go in the order they are presented. There seem to be a good mix of the seconds and minutes quests as well as the hours ones. So just choose wisely instead of blindly tapping (or in this case sliding).

Takes a bit more work than your average city builder but boy is it worth it!

12. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    #32 andysmash, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    Might have been taken down? I can't get the links.
    EDIT: Welp, nevermind. After 20 attempts it worked. Weird...

13. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Gave this a try but it's just too weird for me and I've played enough timer based games just like it.

14. rdmd

rdmd Well-Known Member

May 4, 2014
    Habakuk's husband
    with Habakuk
    I was hoping there would be another way of making money other than the quests, like buying buildings that will generate cash etc. (like in family guy quest for stuff), that way this would be more like a city building game, and we would have something to do while the heroes are on quests. Now there are very few buildings in the game.

15. kuryushibo

kuryushibo Active Member

May 8, 2012
    Great graphics and writing, but it seems to be to slow of a game. Only way to gain money and xp is through quests or side-quests which range from minutes to hours. Been play for a few hours and I only have 4 characters, half which stand around doing nothing because they don't have quests. There's just not enough to do to make you want to come back.

16. andysmash

Apr 6, 2011
    If they don't have quests, make them earn money. You'll need it.

17. Enflux

Enflux Member

Apr 23, 2015
    You can only make money from quests or board quests.

18. Cirnol

Cirnol Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2012
    #38 Cirnol, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    There's no way to earn money outside of quests. I believe this is what a lot of people are mentioning.

Also, if you assign someone a random task that is not required by any quest - the item you make simply fades away when the task is complete.

You can see this yourself by checking out the inventory which is the SHIELD vault building. The things you make will only be saved there if you need them for a current active quest.

Anyways, I'm still going strong in this game now that I know how it works. I have the quest to get Falcon the things he needs for me to recruit him, so that may be a while. I did get Hank Pym's lab and was happy to see him interact in the lab by growing, sitting on the building and observing whoever you assign to work there. It's the little things like this that make it more entertaining.

19. andysmash

Apr 6, 2011
    Oh my god. I thought those things you collected were worth something. What's the point of tasks then? That's... Ok, that's really dumb. My bad.

20. Lelqtian

Lelqtian Active Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Seems fun. Dialogue seems generic, but fun nonetheless. Would love to see how romance is put into the game, as it's not in yet. Art seems good, Avengers characters as teens seems like a fine idea.

I find the cast choices a bit puzzling right now. Sure, Tony (Stark) and Black Widow are good, familiar choices for starting ones, but the Wasp and Loki? She's not even in the MCU and Loki seems a strange choice for a starting character. Or there is something I'm missing, and there is an upcoming Marvel property that the game draws from?

That's based on around 10-15 min of playing, before hitting a huge timer wall. Huge mistake on the devs part, there should be more stuff to do before I hit such a huge wait time and actually anything to do while I'm waiting for something to finish.

Btw, that's with getting a $5 coin pack (with bonus other currency) as part of a quest. Otherwise I would have hit the waiting time sooner, I guess.

In any case, I find that part - a quest that sends you to get an IAP - somewhat dubious. While I did take the bait, I still feel that any such quest should leave to me whether to pump 2, 5 or 100 bucks on the game. At best, there shouldn't be any such quests and any IAP would be left to me.

5 bucks got me a some coin, and some hard currency, enough to get a cheap hard currency only character (Spider Woman). Both (coin and new character) extend the short first session time by a couple of minutes.

If I didn't stress that enough, there are very few things to do by the time one hits the first long times/paywall, and I find this really bizzare. There should just be content packing in before I'm forced to wait like half an hour even or otherwise gently nudged to spend some cash.

I also didn't seem to experience any of the trouble starting the game up other have posted so far. Everything went without a hitch.