Marketing: postpone ads?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by madfatcat, Dec 16, 2014.

1. madfatcat

madfatcat Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Hi,

I'd like to ask marketing experts if it's a good idea to turn off ads in my game on, say, one week after worldwide launch? I'd like to improve the viral effect and ratings by turning off the ads. Does that makes sense at all? Thank you.

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Not really since that is when you are most likely to make money. You are also likely to upset customers who were playing without ads that they all of a sudden came on.

3. Aden Apps

Aden Apps Active Member

Nov 25, 2014
    It is best to let users know what they are getting in advance. Transparency is the best policy. It's very important to gain/earn the trust of the user early. That way, they will be more likely to share your game with their friends, and more likely to download your future games. Take the long term approach...it's always best :)

4. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    I decided to not start showing ads in my game until about 15mins in. My game is an adventure rpg game that takes about 4-5 hours to finish all the way through.

5. greggtwep16

greggtwep16 Active Member

Dec 18, 2014
    Indie Game Developer
    Chicago
    I wouldn't think it would be best to do it for a limited time (I think free apps users expect the possibility of ads anyways). If you're concerned about annoying users think long and hard about when and how often you want them displayed. But once you make the decision it would be best to be consistent.