Universal Mario Kart Tour (by Nintendo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    It looks like I am up against a daily XP cap for my items. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    #22 ShinHadoukin, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    I think they did a great job of making a mobile, one hand, Mario Kart. No issue for me with the game. I do have issue with the highest level of the game being locked behind.$4.99 monthly subscription in a F2P economy. Crazy.

3. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Thank goodness for Apple Arcade.

4. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Yeah, sadly this just makes me want to go play Sonic racing

5. Aueio

Aueio New Member

Feb 5, 2019
    Great little game. Controls can take a while to get used to but after a while you flow nicely.
    Graphics are good, sounds are good and the Mario feeling is certainly there. Gameplay is you vs. AI but there are rankings in which you compete with others, and they have a non-functional MULTIPLAYER button which says "this feature will come in the future" - something I look forward to.
    The game definitely doesn't feel predatory, it even took me a while to find the store, but neither the New York pack or the VIP / pass are mandatory for anything.

6. Aueio

Aueio New Member

Feb 5, 2019
    I am with you! I also wanna see more characters from the vast Nintendo library.
    Multiplayer is gonna be a blast when it comes.

7. tex32

tex32 Active Member

May 9, 2013
    Had heard there were going to be timers as to how many races you could do, but I haven’t come across that. Has anybody seen this so far?

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I know it’ll never be in Nintendo’s motives to create AAA experiences for mobile, but could you imagine if they had headlined Apple Arcade’s lineup with proper games (yes, Mario Run was premium, but let’s not forget the online requirement, social aspects and whatnot) involving their IPs? The partnership between Nintendo (NINTENDO Nintendo...not DeNA and whatever developers they’ve teamed up with) and Apple would’ve absolutely shattered boundaries, especially in terms of quality mobile gaming experiences. Sure, Android would’ve been left in the dust, but ehhh...it’s Android. :p

9. AltsKev

AltsKev Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Male
    Developer
    If someone want some challenge here my id :

Have fun :p

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Agreed. The sad thing is that, even with all the free to play shenanigans and the goofy controls, this is way more fun than the Sonic racer on Apple Arcade. I can easily imagine a similar best-of “tour” game being a huge hit in Arcade, with essentially zero effort from Nintendo. I have no idea how Apple is structuring their deals, but I’m sure they would have paid handsomely to have a Nintendo exclusive in their service.

Seems like a huge missed opportunity — though, of course, both Nintendo and Apple will still make tons of money of this version.

11. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    They were obviously removed in last minute before global launch. During the beta and on multiple screenshots before the release the hearts were always there. Someone’s probably realized that would be a dealbreaker for a lot of potential customers.

tex32 likes this.
  12. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I would have loved the game if it was in landscape and had left touch, right touch steering but this is a no go.

13. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    The pass is required to play 200cc.

14. EmilianoDTH

EmilianoDTH Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2019
    Male
    The gameplay is fun, but the controls, the not-friendly menus, the pass for playing 200cc are a HUGE letdown.

15. retroboy27

retroboy27 Active Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Male
    Data Analyst
    Ohio, USA
    I couldn't agree more. It's pretty much what I was expecting from a mobile MK game. Not perfect, but still very fun. I don't even find the gacha and monetization that horrible- annoyoing, but not necessary to play. I don't even feel that I'm missing anything without the 200cc racing.

I still can't do the manual drift, but I'm sure it will come in time. Absolutely better than the "premium" Sonic Racing!

I think people are expecting a "full" MK experience- buy once, more competitive, etc- and that isn't really what Nintendo plans on doing on mobile. I think Mario Run was an anomaly and I doubt we'll see that once and done mentality again. I don't even recall the last time it received a really decent update- it was like 2 years ago.

16. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    So I've been playing this for 10 straight days. I love the gameplay, I love the points system and how each track is suited for different characters, and Frenzy mode is really great. Updates will make it better and better over time.

HOWEVER, I've hit the pay wall. Once you reach the latter cups, it is IMPOSSIBLE to earn all stars without paying now. Here's my issue: I want to pay for this game, but they make it confusing as hell to pick what to pay them. Should I pay for their Gold Pass subscription service, which will earn me Metal Mario and 200cc but not much else, or should I pay for their New York Set which is a one time fee but it offers very little, or should I pay for their rubies and just gamble my through the Pipes for some good characters? Moreover, all these options are simply too overpriced. I would pay good money for this game, but it seems like Nintendo expects us to pay $100 for this game.

So now I'm stuck can't decide what to pay, and can't earn more stars.

btw, anyone can add me: 088150355467

17. Blue Steel

Blue Steel Member

Oct 26, 2010
    I think it’s great; fun, simple, quick, and you really don’t need to pay for anything. The gold pass is probably the best value, and two weeks of it free can get you a couple of high end racers and carts, but the point of the game is just to have fun with it.

It will be especially great when they add the multiplayer and more racers (King Boo, Luigi, Link, etc.)

Add me with 765931367036

18. HangryMates

HangryMates Member

Sep 16, 2019
    USA
    The game is pretty fun, with the large fan base it's doing really well.

19. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    I really enjoy the Game. Nothing to complain about.

20. rlf

rlf New Member

Oct 12, 2019
    I enjoy playing this one and it just bring back memories while playing it on Nintendo DS