Universal Marbloid (by Supyrb)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Supyrb

Supyrb Member

Dec 6, 2018
    @psj3809 Awesome, thanks for the feedback and purchase! Happy rolling!

@anthony78 Glad to hear that you enjoy tilt more than touch. Both control types for sure have their strengths and it great to hear that our tilt controls are valued as well! Ah, you're referring to Marble it up? There are quite a lot of really neat full control games out there :)

2. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I bought this recently, and while I enjoyed it a lot at first, my affection for it has cooled over time.

I think I'm at rank 14; for some reason it doesn't tell you what rank you've reached on the global statistics page. I see that I've played for 01:27:20, have made 201 runs, and only had 49 successful runs.

My large failure rate is probably due to my age and failing reflexes, and the fact that on numerous occasions I haven't been able to tell just where the path is going due to things like foliage/objects obscuring the path.

Also contributing to it is my desire to accomplish the challenges, which leads to me taking risks that, if I were shooting for successful runs, I would be less likely to take.

However as your rank rises it seems as though the track becomes even more chaotic which in turn makes the goals even harder to achieve.

I know you can spend your "coins" (emojis?) to skip a challenge, and have done that a couple of times; for example on the one that tasked me with exiting the 7th goal. The best I've managed to do on both my greatest success and greatest failure is the 5th. Also I don't want this to turn into a game where my motivation is to grind enough emojis to bypass challenges to then grind more emojis for the next set of challenges that are even further outside my reach.

I've also tried both control methods, and think I'll be sticking with tilt. I find that while I seem to have a finer degree of control with the touch controls, I also make more twitch mistakes.

One thing in its favor is that it's fast and easy to get going on another run after a failure.

I'm keeping it on my phone for now, and playing every once in awhile. I'm just not getting as much enjoyment from it because I feel as though I've hit a wall as far as being able to progress goes.

3. Supyrb

Supyrb Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Hi Collin,

Thanks a lot for the detailed review! Very interesting to hear your experience with the game.
    With a successrate of 25% you're actually quite a bit above the average with 15% successrate (for all runs up to rank 14). Skipping missions is an option, but the game won't get easier in higher ranks. In the end it is about practice and learning the different level segments to progress in the game. It is for sure harder than an average mobile game; we grew up with games that were demanding and I guess a bit of that went into the difficulty of marbloid as well.

Thank you for your feedback, hopefully you'll get to the point were marbloid is more like a zen meditation type of game.

4. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    That's surprising, but good to know.

As I've seen :D My driving force behind ranking up is getting "The Millionaire" marble, that doesn't unlock until rank 20, and then The Legend at 30. But if each rank makes the game even harder, maybe that's a pointless goal for me.

I grew up with the Atari 2600, and have gamed in every console generation since. Difficult doesn't bother me as long as the game is enjoyable. But having been around that long, my reflexes are decaying.

To be clear, I feel my money was well spent. If I really feel like all I'm doing is smashing into the same wall over and over, I'll reset my progress and play for the zen aspect you mention, instead of being focused on progress. It's just difficult to slip into a zen state when my run ends in less than a minute.

Would you consider adding an actual "zen mode", where there are only checkpoints to cross, and no holes to end the run? If you fall off the track, you restart at the last checkpoint you crossed. No smileys to collect; just a distance counter (and the distance can reset when you fall off so there's still a "goal" of sorts) and an exit button at the top. Just a thought.