iPad Marble Maze Ultra

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by D.Sync, Jan 4, 2009.

1. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    Anyone purchased this game? How does it feels compared to the original Labyrinth ($6.99) game? Smooth gameplay, realistic board sound?

2. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Link? Since I'm kinda lazy?

3. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    Sorry I forgot to put the link.

[Link]

4. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    I bought it, its basically labyrinth but waaaaay cheaper, thats the reason I bought it if you have laberybth lite and think the full is to expensive get this, its worth it.

5. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    Is the game play smooth? How's the sound effect when the marble is rolling, hitting the board. Sounds original from Labyrinth?

6. HerbertKornfeld

HerbertKornfeld Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    #6 HerbertKornfeld, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
    Oops!

A new labyrinth style game has just come out called [app]Marble Maze Ultra[/app]. I couldn’t find any videos from the iPhone version yet, but here’s one from an older version of the game for Symbian phones.

It doesn’t look like much, but I took the plunge since it’s only 99 cents (limited time price). It seems like a nice start. It doesn’t have much polish, but it adds some interesting new ideas to this tried and true genre.

Here’s a screenshot from the iPhone version.
    [​IMG]
    In this game, you move more than just the ball. You have blocks that also react to your tilt that will get in the way. You have to manipulate these blocks as well as the ball.

The levels seem short, at least to start. And the fact that you need to tap four times between each level is a little maddening, but it seems to me like 99 cents well spent. If you liked any of the other labyrinth games, this one might also be worth a few of your pennies.

7. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    Yeah the sounds and smoothness of gameplay is the same as in laberynth. I do recomend getting it

8. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    The marble seems to be bigger in Marble Maze Ultra than in Labyrinth.

9. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    I didn't notice the difference, but the gamplay is as good as the laberynth one. Some average time it takes to beat a level is 45 seconds.

Of these types of games my favourite is Resco Bubbles, i bought it at .99 cents and I would recomend it even if it was at 2.99. The marble maze and then laberynth b/c the price tag isn't worth what you get.

10. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    England
    Cool game. Bought it and it is fun. Controls like Labrynth, but it is different gameplay.

How did you find out about it? As it isn't in search results yet.

11. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    Go to "new gAmes" section in touch arcade

12. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    You can also check it via AppShopper. I always check it every hour or so. :D

13. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    England
    Thanks! Should I buy Appsniper to do this for me or is it not worth buying?

14. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    AppSniper is good for mobility. If you're often stick to one place then it wouldn't be neccesary.

15. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    England
    Oh, are the other features of it useful though?

16. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    In AppSniper you can check for latest app, filter by categories, track for price change. You can also do this via AppShopper, except the track for price change feature. I recommend buying it if you're a frequent traveller. It's great to check for new app when hanging out at StarBuck without having to carry the bulky laptop/notebook. :p

17. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Mentioning the track price change thing in Appshopper, hey arn, how about you link our TA accounts to Appshopper to let us do just that. It shouldn't be that hard to implement.

18. HerbertKornfeld

Oct 13, 2008
    Back to actually talking about the game. It should be noted that this game is ridiculously short. The developer claims that there are more levels coming, but as it is now, I was able to complete this game (50 levels) in less than half an hour. Several of the levels can be completed in less than 10 seconds.

If you’re used to some of the more challenging levels found in [app]Labyrinth[/app], you won’t find anything like that here. At least not yet.

I still recommend the game, but now I think of it as more of an investment. Buy it now, at its cheap introductory price, and hopefully they’ll be able to add more levels. And hopefully, the levels will be more challenging in the future.

19. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    Hopefully user can download level packs from other user, just as in Labyrinth. So far I just didn't have enough time to complete those level packs on Labyrinth.

20. HerbertKornfeld

Oct 13, 2008
    #20 HerbertKornfeld, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
    Suggestions for improvement

Dear Mr. Developer,

Your game is kind of fun. A bit short, sure, but fun. I'll even look past a few of its shortcomings, given its bargain basement price. But there are things in here that should have been fixed before shipping. Here’s a few:

• There is no level select screen
      If you want to replay some of the levels that you’ve already completed, you can’t easily do this. You have to step through each of the levels one at a time. So if I want to replay level 25, I have to press at least 50 buttons to get there. Surely there is a better way.

• No High-Scores window
      If you want to look at your times, too bad. The only way to do this is to complete the level. So when I want to prove how awesome I am, I have to play through the level all over again just to see my scores. Not cool.

• There needs to be a “restart level” button
      There is one level in particular, field 45, that could really use a restart button. If you don’t do it correctly right away, it’s easier to just start over and try again. As it is now, to achieve this I have to open the menu, click previous level, open the menu again, and then finally click next level. Hardly ideal. At most, this should be a two click process.
    [​IMG]

• Too much effort required to go to the next level
      This is way harder than it has to be. After you beat a level, you have to click on the name field, type your name (this persists across levels), press return to confirm your name, click on the screen, and then press “next field”. This takes way too much effort. When I complete a level, I just want to hit next and be done with it.

If you want this game to be multi-user aware, don’t make the user jump through these hoops. Just ask them once, at the beginning of the game, who they are. This way, you can automatically stamp the correct initials to the High-Score list. This way, you can just press next to get to the next level.

• Quirky bugs in the ball rolling physics
      Most of the game plays fine, sure. And if you’re even slightly less crazy than me, you’d never notice any problems. But there are times in the game when I can get my ball to defy the laws of nature. Take, for example, the following screenshot from field 3. This angle approximates the angle with which I was holding my iPhone. In the picture, you can see that my ball is stuck at this seam. It only happens when I do this in this exact direction. If I reverse this, I cannot reproduce the bug. And the ball doesn’t just sit there, either. It kind of bounces around. I wish I could capture a video of this, actually.
    [​IMG]

Picking nits:

• On your credits screen, you list the address for the developer’s site (cahoona.bitburners.com). This is nice. What would be even nicer would be if I could actually click that link with my “always on the internet” device. I tried to click it, but no matter how many times I tried, it just wouldn’t work. Go on, try for yourself. Try and click on the link above, it works about as well as the one in the game.

• When I actually went to the aforementioned link, there is not a single mention of your new iPhone game. Kind of seems like a missed opportunity there, no?

• The High-Scores listing that appears when you beat the level needs some work. Your white font against the playfield is sometimes hard to read. And I think that we’ll be alright if we round these times to the hundredths of a second. Sure, there are sometimes close scores, but I really don’t think that we need to record this to one-quadrillionth of a second, do you? I mean, surely we could get by with rounding it to the nearest trillionth of a second. At least that way, we could include the “ s)” in the same line. Or maybe you just want to rotate the number sideways so that it will all fit. Either way, if there is still a dispute with the scores after this, I think we can safely call it a tie.
    [​IMG]

Anyway, thanks for listening. And good luck in the future. If I didn’t think this game was worth a damn, I wouldn’t be wasting my time like this.

[update] - Please read the updated review below. Most of the issues raised here have been addressed in the 1.1 update.