Many recent 5 star reviews

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by thumbs07, Jul 28, 2016.

1. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    I don't want to knock TA, 5 star reviews is good publicity- gives people confidence good games are coming out.
    But, TA forum users any of the proliferation of 5 star reviews you disagree with?

I could be missing something on Timelockers. Played it a few times but haven't yet seen the 5 star quality. Maybe a few more plays, certainly innovative game though.

2. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Yeah, same here.. But then again, Land Sliders would not have been my GOTY vote... TA gives high points for elegant simplicity, innovation, and approachability that any given game may bring to the mobile device platform.. They have their own way of doing things and unique way of thinking.. I am not slamming them for it..

Heck, I tried Timelockers based on their review, but it did not draw me in..

3. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    I agree with the TA reviews often, but I tend to rely more on the forum feedback and some key members that I tend to agree with.

One persons 5 will always be another's 1 or 2. Reviews will always be skewed by personal preference. Not sure I could even tell you the difference when I rate a game for myself a 4 vs. a 5.

4. fabell

fabell Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    TA's reviews are not based on traditional objective standards. They are primarily: 1 star - not worth your time, to 5 stars - definitely check this out.

Each reviewer appreciates different styles of games and generally TA tries to have the person who enjoys that kind of game review it. However, you may disagree with the review in some cases but if you are generally a fan of those game types you probably won't disagree too much.

You might disagree with someone who reviews a game that you don't like the style to begin with. The best example is someone who loves overly complex RPGs reading a Carter review. They probably aren't going to like the game in the first place and then when he praises it (3.5 stars and up because GASP he likes it) they'll be even angrier.

Don't get angry about these things. Not worth your time generally.