Universal Manic Miner (By Elite Systems Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by psj2710, Feb 13, 2019.

1. psj2710

psj2710 Member

Feb 1, 2019
    Male

Manic Miner®

Elite Systems Ltd
    It’s 1983 and a peerless new home computer game graces the scene. Its stand-out features include its quirky humour, in-g…
    $2.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    It’s 1983 and a peerless new home computer game graces the scene. Its stand-out features include its quirky humour, in-game music / effects, high replay value and well-designed colourful graphics. Roll forward 35 years and kick nostalgia into overdrive with the release of the Manic Miner® app. A perfectly formed replica of the much-loved home computer game, with 3D voxel-style graphics. Other Features: • optimised for use with the ZX Spectrum for Connected TV keyboard device • also useable with the: • the Recreated ZX Spectrum keyboard device and with • selected 1st and 3rd-party Connected TV remotes and game controllers • also includes a 100%-authentic 2D ‘re-make’ of the original ZX Spectrum game (not emulated) • a perfectly formed replica of the much-loved home computer game • available* for Apple TV, iPhone, iPad • guaranteed free-from: ads, nags, in-app purchases and other 21st century ‘killjoys’ *: ZX Spectrum Connected TV or Recreated ZX Spectrum keyboard device recommended but not required to use the Manic Miner® app.
    Information
    Seller:Elite Systems Ltd
    Genre:Adventure, Arcade
    Release:Dec 01, 2018
    Updated:Apr 25, 2019
    Version:1.1
    Size:81.8 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

Just appeared on the app store. Its a special version, theres two types of game. Ones a 'new' 3d-ish game with improved graphics/sound but its a bit weird, press left and the screen tilts to the left a bit and press right and it does the opposite. Takes some getting used to.

The original version is there and the controls play well but the window is quite small for the game. You cant zoom in or 'double tap' the screen to make it full screen. Hopefully they'll release an update

This was a total classic in the early 80's and is very well known specially in the UK. Apparently its only available for 30 days on the app store or 10,000 downloads only which seems a bit strange

2. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #2 Gwarmaxx, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019

where’s the “30 days” limit???
    i can’t find any availability limit on the appstore notes...

edit> ok, i've just saw it in their website.

3. psj2710

psj2710 Member

Feb 1, 2019
    Male
    Yeah i dont quite believe it, 'if' it sells well i cant believe they'll stop it. The kickstarter failed so sadly i dont see a ton of sales for this app. As i said i hope they update the app so the original version is larger/full screen as its quite small

4. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
  5. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    both previous ones are the original versions, so the classic one from Speccy/C64 era emulated at 100%, this new one is an isometric 2,5D version never existed, and according to Elite, its availability will be limited.

anthony78 likes this.
  6. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Ah, thanks.

On the fence. These games bring back memories but at the same time I’m realistic to know that I’d likely never play it again after 10 minutes of nostalgia.

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Well, I think this whole Limited Edition thing is extremely weird, but the game itself is wonderful. No issues with the original version (in this app either) and it’s screen size either, but it wouldn’t hurt to add screen size options...if it continues to get supported once it’s pulled? :p

8. psj2710

psj2710 Member

Feb 1, 2019
    Male
    #8 psj2710, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    What phone do you have metalcasket ? I'm on an iphone xs and the screens in the middle with lots of empty real estate

Happy to have this game as its a classic, good to try and complete it. I still have the older Manic Miner app which to be fair i could use that. Hope Matthew Smith is getting some of the money

Must admit i'm a huge retro fan, cant believe i've got so many favourites on my phone with me at all times (Manic Miner, Sonic. GTA IV and many others). Amazing !

Must admit i'll play it a lot as a lot of retro games i used to give up, here i've got a chance to play through and hopefully complete all the screens

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I have a XS as well homie. Nah, I do agree that’s it’s tiny but it’s serviceable.

10. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    The old versions would let you play in portrait or landscape, and when you switched to landscape it would make the game full screen. Wish this version did that.

11. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    I was playing it on Amstrad CPC 6128 !!!!!

12. McDeathUK

McDeathUK Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2015
    The KS failed due to the company more than the game. The Spectrum / Retro community has no respect for Elite systems and will go out of their way to avoid anything they do. re the game, but I think there is a question of royalties not being paid in the past.

Manic Miner is (even today) one of the great precision platformers,