Universal Mandie Manzano Jigsaw Puzzle Art

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by polygonplay, May 18, 2016.

1. timuster94

timuster94 Member

May 3, 2016
    Thanks for your reply! I ended up buying the 4-Pack too to support you guys.

I think one possible solution to the screen real estate might be to start with a smaller zoom factor. Right now I believe it's always at 75% at the start. If you set it to 60% or 65% for example and have the tiles spread out to the edge of the screen (but so they overlap about the same amount or differently put so that the border width of the spread out puzzle tiles remains about the same) then you could provide enough empty space in the middle to fit the finished puzzle.

So far I have not used the tray. What I see myself using it for is at the beginning of solving a puzzle, to create groups of tiles of similar colour. And now that I'm thinking about this way of playing, I think a outline border of the final puzzle size that's toggleable might be useful to some players, even the ones not using the tray, but especially those. It would help arrange the puzzle pieces around the middle more easily.

Tim

2. polygonplay

polygonplay Well-Known Member

Marije: Yes that is how the app is supposed to work. The reason for this simplicity. I wanted to keep the interface as clean as simple as possible. I understand exactly what you are saying. Currently you lose your organised groups if you do either of two things:

1. Exit the puzzle play and come back. It will save the progress and the location of each piece on table, but it does not save which ones were in the tray and which on the table.
    2. If you turn tray off similar thing happens because currently the tray button puts ALL individual(not connected) pieces from table to tray or from tray to table.

It's easy to mix table-pieces with the tray-pieces because of the way it works. On the other hand it's nice to be able to put all non-connected pieces into tray with a single tap.

So with this system I recommend connecting the pieces before quitting if you play with the tray. This issue doesn't matter if you play without the tray. One extra hint would be to make your organised groups inside the empty area in the middle. That way they will be separated even if all the pieces come back to the table.

Thank you Marije for letting me know of this issue. I understand it and will definitely think about it.

3. Marije

Marije New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Thank you for clearing this up for me!
    I now finish the edge first, and then I turn off the tray. I then move all the pieces to the area outside the puzzle, and then put my organized pieces in the middle like you said. If I then leave and come back, all the pieces will be put onto the table in their original place.

I really appreciate the great support you are giving us through this forum, I'll make sure to purchase a puzzle pack in return!

4. polygonplay

#24 polygonplay, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
    Marije: I have good news. I gave more thought to what you said and I'm happy to tell you I have a solution that supports your way of playing! I call it the "smart tray". In the next update only the pieces you have not organised (moved at all) will go to the tray when you turn it on. If you have moved a piece, the game treats it as organised piece and let's it be while other pieces fly to the tray. The game assumes you have organised that particular piece. You can still put it manually into tray by dragging it there and if you decide to do it, the game will assume that from there on the piece is not organised anymore and can always go to the tray with other pieces when tray is turned on until you decide to move it again on table(or from tray to table). It's complicated to explain, but based on my tests it works very well and is the most intuitive solution I can think of.

This feature has been implemented but it takes some time until the official 1.2 update will be available.

Thanks Marije for helping me to make this app better!

5. Marije

Marije New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    That is such great news! Your explanation is very clear, and it is perfect for the way I like to make my puzzles.
    Thank you for listening to our suggestions! I've bought the 4-pack and I'll leave you a 5-star review in the App Store.

6. polygonplay

Marije: Thank you so much for your support!

timuster94: Good ideas. You are correct. It starts always with 75% zoom. I could easily get more space by zooming out a little. I will definitely explore this further.

7. polygonplay

timuster94: In 1.2 update there will be enough empty space in the middle for the whole puzzle. It has already been implemented! I have also optimised the spreading to be more even and to utilise the available space more effectively.

Next I will explore the possibility of the lasso selection tool.

8. timuster94

timuster94 Member

May 3, 2016
    Cool, can't wait to see and use it in the app! Thanks for listening to our feedback!

9. polygonplay

#29 polygonplay, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
    Lasso selection tool is coming!!! Well, it's not actually a lasso, but it is a rectangular area selection tool that let's you select any number of pieces at once. You just drag a rectangle on screen and all the pieces that are at least partially inside the area will be selected and can then be moved. This will be included in the 1.2 update.

[​IMG]

10. timuster94

timuster94 Member

May 3, 2016
    Fantastic news! This will make solving the puzzle easier while not being too far off from a real puzzle-solving experience!

11. polygonplay

1.2 Update is out now!

[​IMG]

New features:
    - Requested feature: Better saving functionality
    - Requested feature: Smart Tray: Remembers which pieces are in the tray and which are on the table. You won't lose progress anymore!
    - Requested feature: Area Selection Tool: Select and move multiple pieces at once
    - Requested feature: Enough empty space in the middle for the whole puzzle
    - Requested feature: Allow zooming in up to 300%
    - Requested feature: Allow listening to your own music
    - Requested feature: Chinese language
    - Bug fix: Preview image was sometimes momentarily behind top bar or tray
    - In-game help which explains the puzzle controls
    - Puzzle pieces are spread more evenly when you start playing
    - Version number in the main menu at the top of the screen