iPhone Man at Arms TD - (by Inert Soap)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ojtitus, Jan 25, 2014.

1. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    The way I've played through the game, (done all levels on master now) was just by using the cards you unlock and combining some, buying some packs etc.
    The thing about collecting cards though is it's all down to luck, I don't have any of those more money for killing enemy's cards and it took me ages to finish my last master level.
    The only thing I'd suggest is on your first go through the levels I'd play them on easy then move up to normal after you've done them on easy, then master.
    Not really much to say, if your on iPad you could use the gems but to buy more packs of cards, pm me if you don't know what it is.
    Those little dudes with scythes are friendly villagers who help kill the enemy's.

2. tricket

tricket Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Hello there!

Sorry for the sudden difficulty wall -- I'd agree with oooomonkey that moving further along on Novice mode for some of them can help, and then you can come back and smash the level flat when you have some new cards.

As for getting the extra cards ... it can also be worth it to not combine that card that you already have, but spend some coins on the lowest-cost (I think 300) card packs .. or go up by a bit and buy a pack that specifies "defensive ability" cards... or, if you're not focusing on the multiplayer stuff yet, you can sell some extra monster cards in the short term for cash.

Yeah, the scythe guys can be confusing... we really should have put in a pop-up letting you know they're the good guys! :) Glad you're not hitting crashes on your iPad -- I think we mainly just have the memory bug that's hitting some of the iPhones, and hopefully that'll be fixed shortly!

3. Mirlo

Mirlo Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Spain
    Hi!

I was about to buy it yesterday, but I'm not sure if it works fine in a first generation iPad.

Do you know if it works properly in the iPad 1?

Thanks! :)

4. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    Picnic is probably one the hardest map I have encountered too, sadly, I had to do it in easy mode, with almost no life remaining just so I can move on. If you are stuck, finish on easy mode, move on, gather better cards then try again.

The key is to get the money bag cards which gives you more money when you kill monsters, and inheritance, where in you get x% more money start of turn. Subcontractor is also good, where in the first few tower has a cheaper cost.

You can also buy cards, sell unwanted cards, merge some cards, and eventually you will have better cards. Good luck and have fun!

5. tricket

Feb 15, 2010
    Hi, Mirlo!

I'm honestly not 100% sure -- we've had at least one person install it on their first-generation iPad and play it without trouble, but I don't know how far through the game they got. Theoretically it should be fine as long as you're at iOS 5.1 or higher, because the iPads all have plenty of memory to play the game. Obviously you won't get the Retina graphics that the iPad 3 and later would get, but we certainly play it on our other lower-res devices all the time without trouble.

So ... I suppose one possibility is to have to scan the App Store for "Inert Soap," which should show you our other games. If any of them seem at all interesting to you, then if you get Man at Arms, but it doesn't play well on your iPad, e-mail me at [email protected] and I can at least get you some copies of our other games that definitely work on a first-gen iPad.

--Tom

6. Mirlo

Mirlo Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Spain
    Hi tricket,

Thnak you for answering!

I bought it yesterday and it works perfectly fine in the iPad 1. After 20-30 minutes the game closed itself, but I could open it again and continue playing.

About the game, it's all I expected. I really like the card system, but it took me a while to understand how it works.

Great game!

7. tricket

Feb 15, 2010
    Glad you're liking it, in general! And hopefully it won't close itself often -- we haven't found any major bugs yet other than a memory one for the iPhone, but that certainly doesn't mean they're not out there. :) Hopefully if they do exist, they'll be caught by Apple's system and we'll be able to download them so we know what they are.

8. twstephens

twstephens Active Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Georgia, USA
    Just wanted to share this story.......
    I had purchased the Pocket Edition of MaA TD and like some encountered frequent crashes. And like some it was frustrating because it seemed to happen right when I was really getting into the game. I seriously wanted to keep playing but it got to where it crashed every time I played. So I got the email to the devs at Inert Soap and contacted them and explained the problem (which I'm sure tons of people were blowing up there e-mail with the same ?'s). Whitin no time I was replied to by Tom. Tom apologized for the problems and told me they had already submitted a patch to Apple and it would be a few days and it should popup in my updates---this is where the reply from any other devs I've contacted in the past would end.
    Not this time. Tom offered me some advice on things I could try in the meantime. Easy, very descriptive tips I could do to try and get the game going again. Not only that but he also sent follow up messages to me and got me up and going playing Man at Arms again! Also during the communicate between me and Tom I also received a reply from Michael at Inert Soap offering his advice (he was contacting me in case Tom haven't replied)!

I just wanted to post this to share with you all my story of how the devs at Inert Soap went above and beyond to help out just 1 of their 1000's of players with their problem. I know their are other great devs like this out there but wish there were a lot more. Inert Soap have done a great job creating a GREAT, innovative game and they are generally good people who care enough to take their time to help their customers. Kudos!!

9. tricket

Feb 15, 2010
    Thanks, twstephens! We're game players as often as we're the game developers, so we've tried to respond the way we'd like to be responded to. :)

Which just reminds me for anyone else -- if you do have problems, either with the Pocket Edition, or the iPad version, do post here, or e-mail me at [email protected]. We're spending all day, every day, right now, fixing possible crash bugs (we think we have those mostly done now), and getting new content ready for another patch. So whether it's fixing a problem you have, or knowing what people want to see more of, let us know!

10. bgkoh

bgkoh Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
  11. tricket

Feb 15, 2010
    That's very nice -- I really like how you showed the whole deck-building system in detail! Do you mind if we post the YouTube URL for other people to see?

12. bgkoh

bgkoh Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Nope I don't mind at all. Share away! :)

13. Mirlo

Mirlo Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Spain
    I know I can play against my Game Center friends, but It is possible to find an anonymous player to play with?

14. tricket

Feb 15, 2010
    Yep -- if you tap on any level you've completed, there should be a "Defend Online" button. That'll match you up against someone who has an offensive deck to attack you. (Right now the algorithm isn't very good, so you may end up with someone totally overpowered, or totally weak).

15. Mirlo

Mirlo Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Spain
    Hi tricket,

Thanks for your help :)

I just tried this mode last weekend and it is really fun.

Maybe you should add some leagues like Clash of Clans. It is cool to fight against another player's deck, but I think it could be even better with a league system or a global rank.

Keep up the good job!! :D

16. tricket

Feb 15, 2010
    Thanks, Mirlo! Yes, we'd like to do a *lot* more with the player-versus-player mode. We just got the iPad 1.3 update out, and once we've gotten a bit more stuff for the iPhone version, as well, we'll be spending some time enhancing the PvP modes.

17. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Just noticed the new IPad update, looks like I won't be sleeping tonight.

18. tricket

Feb 15, 2010
    Ah, good .. my evil plans come to fruition! :)

If you want, there's a blog entry over at http://www.ManAtArmsGame.com/ that lists most of the changes in detail.

19. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    I know the traffic from this thread has moved over to the "Pocket" version, but just wanted to say that I love the build. I definitely didn't expect new art for the cards, but it was a nice bonus in additon to the new content. The overall balance seems better, with the Dragon Cannon not being as OP as before. Great job, it's clear these are developers who care about thier work. This is one of those games permanently glued to my IPad.

20. tricket

Feb 15, 2010
    Awesome -- thanks, Jake! :) Yeah, both the Dragon Cannon and the Death Mage were overpowered in the previous version. We also finally got the Storm Mage (previously called Water Mage) up in power to compete with the others. Honestly, the Earth Mage needs more love now to be equal to the other two.

Anyway, we'll keep adding more content (cards, creatures, and levels), along with balance fixes, as we go forward!