Apple TV MAME4apple 64-bit Xcode project for Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV Games' started by Lesbird, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Lesbird

Lesbird Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Boston Massachusetts
    Hi all,

Several years ago I created an Xcode project for iMAME4all so that developers can build and install MAME on their non-jailbroken iOS devices. A few weeks ago I created an all new MAME4apple Xcode project using the MAME 0.37b5 source code (compatible with the MAME4all rom set). It's an all new from scratch build using SpriteKit as the renderer, so compatible with all SpriteKit supported devices like iPhone, iPad and of course Apple TV. The project is full 64-bit and has been tested on iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro and Apple TV.

Apple has put a limit on App size of 200mb when downloading from the App Store, however, if you install straight from Xcode the app size has no such limit which means you can include the full MAME4all rom set (2 GB) in the app bundle and install it to your Apple TV device.

Xcode is required to install the project to your Apple TV so if you're a developer you just download the project, build and install. Even if you're not a paid developer you can download Xcode for free and create a free developer account and build the project and install to your own devices.

The Xcode project can be downloaded from GitHub at the following link: MAME4apple Xcode Project

Also see the wiki for details on how to copy the ROMs to your app bundle: MAME4apple Wiki

I created a YouTube video showing MAME4apple running on an Apple TV: MAME4apple YouTube

At this time the only control method available on Apple TV devices is a MFi controller such as the Steelseries Nimbus controller. Sorry but the Siri Remote does not work at this time.

This project is work-in-progress so there are still some minor issues with it but most games play just fine if you have the correct roms.

Thanks and have a nice day.

2. Spindler

Spindler Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    great, thanks!
    will check it out.

3. reygza

reygza New Member

Feb 14, 2013
    So Cal
    Thanks! I recently tried to build the latest MAME4ios release for my new iPhone 7 Plus and it failed. I'm going to try out MAME4apple as soon as I get a chance.

4. Uprising Elton

Uprising Elton Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    I downloaded on Friday, and it works pretty well on the TV. A few timing hiccups in a few games I tried, but overall very good and well worth getting it set up if you can.

5. Danibi

Danibi Active Member

Nov 6, 2012
    Male
    Game Developer
    Rome
    Wtf! Cool.