MAME on iphone/touch?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by sjleworthy, May 18, 2009.

1. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    3D & Architectural Artist
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    Hi guys

I'm not into modern games too much. i much prefer retro, which is why 99% of my gaming on my computer is via the MAME interface. This means i can play all the original coin ops until my hearts content.

MAME is a relatively small and simple interface, and i was wondering about the odds or possibilities of it being ported to the iphone?. i'm presuming there'ld be numerous legalities involved, but other than the red tape, what are the chances it could happen?

being able to play original games without waiting for them to be ported and converted would be fantastic.

2. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

jailbroken = possible, not jaiilbroken = impossible

3. sjleworthy

Dec 18, 2008
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    i know this, but how possible is what i'm after. is it a reality or what? has this issue been looked at before?

4. Phil_Synowiec

Phil_Synowiec Well-Known Member

If your saying a MAME emulator to the appstore. YOu have .001% chance of that, there would be copyright issues of running the games.

5. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Really. If you jailbreak, there is mame4iphone. Like your game preferences too. :thumbsup:

6. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Only in our dreams, my friend.
    Sigh...
    :(

7. sjleworthy

Dec 18, 2008
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    so the answer is no then. thank you.

:(

8. Gregz0r

Gregz0r Well-Known Member

#8 Gregz0r, May 18, 2009
    Last edited: May 18, 2009
    I've been waiting for a decent version of MAME to come out for a homebrewed(jailbroken) PSP for 3 years, and still no sight of it, only early, abandoned versions, that play only the earliest arcade games very poorly.
    So, there's no chance of it seeing the iPhone light of day, in as good a condition as on the PC. :mad:

9. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    id give ma back teeth for MAME on appstore but after seeing First Star getting all agressive towards a boulder dash clone i can assure you it wont ever happen in any lifetime! siiiiiiigh

tis the only drawback of itouch/phone in that there will never be decent emulators :(

10. brewstermax

JAILBREAK HAS A VERY GOOD MAME EMULATOR!!!!! How many times must I say it!?

11. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

lol probably a few more, people just aren't getting it.

12. Acidbottle

Apr 24, 2009
    I DO NOT WANT TO JAILBRAKE MY PHONE BUT THX FOR REMINDING ME! :rolleyes:

13. brewstermax

Well then, stop complaining about there not being a Mame emu in the App Store. Jailbreak doesn't do anything, it's the stuff you add on to it. If you just download Mame, it won't make a difference. If you download themes and such, then yes. It will. You can SSH into it, and remove Cydia and everything, so you can't tell a difference.

14. Acidbottle

Apr 24, 2009
    it invalidates the warranty on tha phone according to ma contract so no, i wont be touching it until that runs out.

/peace

15. brewstermax

It gives you your warranty back when you restore it. Your contract is full of shyt. Do what you will. Doesn't everything invalidate your contract? I mean, really. AT&T and Apple can get over it. It's my device, I'll do with it WHATEVER I WANT TO. Sure, they can take your warranty, but you get that back as soon as you restore. I won't jailbreak my iPhone when I get it on release day, but that's because it's a critical productivity tool, that's what my iPod is for. ;)

16. Acidbottle

Apr 24, 2009
    well after giving it some thought i might give it a try lol right after i read up a bit more on it :D

17. Phil_Synowiec

Phil_Synowiec Well-Known Member

Can MAME play DOS games like Hocus Pocus and Pickle Wars?