iPad Mamba Racer or Urban Tycoon

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by CloneWars, Oct 16, 2008.

1. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    I know there both only 2 bucks but im trying to cut down on the number of apps ive bought cause since its release ive spent too TOO much money. What do you think is better??
    Cheers
    CloneWars

2. BlueGenome

BlueGenome Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Black Mamba, but thats my opinion, I love old arcade style games.

3. ricky

ricky Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2008
    black mamba hands down - the abundance of levels and well-crafted design will definitely allow it to be a better pick-up-and-play game (and probably a better game overall)

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I finished Black Mamba today and my only complaint with it is that there was nothing after challenge 25 (well, there is an additional challenge on the same level that you might get, depending, but it doesn't really count - you'll see what I mean.) Mind you, there is some replay value in going back to tackle some of the challenges again, as some are still tough, and setting fastest lap records. I do wish that there had been, say, unlocking of a hard mode or some such thing. In any case the game is thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish and I'm totally fine with having payed full price for it. Great game IMHO.

5. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    I played both. Urban Tycoon briefly. But I'd say Mamba is worth more.

arn

6. STP_Steve

STP_Steve Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Editor of slidetoplay.com
    San Francisco, CA
    I'd stay away from Urban Tycoon until they actually make it into a game!

http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/urban-tycoon-review

7. Armbruster

Armbruster Well-Known Member

You have no idea how ripped off I felt after I played Urban Tycoon.

Complete waste of money, but at least I have free updates until they actually make something out of it.

8. Dimsum

Dimsum Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    After the dev made such a big deal about Urban Tycoon here at TA, I was soo disappointed after buying it. There is no game factor in it. It should totally be avoided. Black Mamba is however a very fun game. I can't put it down since buying it.

9. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

I bought Mamba and I still don't know whether I like it. The gameplay is nice, but the whole presentation looks a bit unpolished. I have nothing against retro, but this looks a bit unprofessional. I also find the driving a bit too ambitioned, but if you are more than just a casual gamer, this will be no problem.

For Urban Tycoon, as the current reviews say, it's not worth any money. It's just no game in it and regarding the initial talks of the developer, I'm very disappointed. Sad (for the developer) and good (for me), in december Sim City will arrive and as far as that looks, EA doesn't give us a childish unplayable peace of crap like on the Nintendo DS, but a real Sim City. I think, that the sales numbers of Urban Tycoon will be zero in december, regardless of what update they will bring out. The bad feelings of the version 1 will drop the sales of version 2, and so will the forthcoming arrival of the original Sim City.

Urban Tycoon is a remarkable good example for the combination of bad promotion, a bad product and a bad timing. All three together kill the product.

10. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I almost felt sorry for the guy too... He was acting small and helpless saying he had no chance against EA

Thank god those Sim City screenshots came out soon after

11. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

There's plenty of space besides Sim City for a good other city simulator, like we have City Life on the DS besides the two Sim City games from EA. It works. You just have to have a good game. I think it would be a good idea for the developer to take a look at what Sim City does and does not on the iPhone and then make a product which fills the gaps, like City Life does on the DS, where Sim City is completely unplayable, ugly, childish and lacks depth.

Isn't Railroad Tycoon Open Source? And the original Sim City (Micropolis) also? That's a really good foundation for a city sim. http://www.donhopkins.com/home/micropolis/

12. Jesse Arcadia

Jesse Arcadia Active Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Running for the gold--not working so I can build m
    Los Angeles
    I bought Urban Tycoon--it's actually probably worth 99 cents, it's just that we're so used to getting things worth $10+ for that price.

Which is pretty much the same as saying it's not worth much. Everybody else is right, it's not even a game. It's barely even a demo of a game.

And that said, I really like the graphics. Sure, EA's SimCity looks awesome, but Urban Tycoon's got these simplistic, candy-colored graphics that look really charming to me. Personally, I was a big fan of the original SimCity, and later versions were just too complex for me. If this guy eventually makes Urban Tycoon into something like the original SimCity, I'll be darn happy.

So I see potential, but to answer your question:Mamba Racer, without a doubt.