Universal Malevolent Machines (by Goodnight Games LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Feb 7, 2017.

1. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Ok, that's different from endless runner. Going to buy it now. I love auto-runners. Thanks AU.

2. PSquared

PSquared Active Member

Nov 4, 2013
    #22 PSquared, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    The game is an interesting attempt at an auto runner. It's definitely not bad... but it isn't' good either. The controls feel touchy, in a bad way, when clicking on projectiles or sliding. Maybe my large hands causing an issue... but they are the only hands I have so to me the controls feel poor. I love the art style, which is what pushed me over the edge to buying it, but the game itself is just a bit boring/repetitive. There is a lack of depth here that gives little reason to compel me onwards when the levels get long/boring.

In the end I would not recommend this game. The price is not a problem for me, I prefer premium games any day, but there are better games in the same genre at the same price point or lower. The price is not unreasonable but it is a bad buy based on the fact that there are other games in the genre of better quality at the same, or lower, price.

On the other hand... the effort into the game is easy to see and the dev seems to care about their projects in the past. It is entirely possible this game could be improved to a point where it has more value and fun with tweaks and future updates.

I wanted to love this game.. but it's just luke warm.

Edited for spelling.

3. goodnightgames

goodnightgames Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    I didn't want to spoil it but yep you unlock survival mode after you beat the game.

So obviously you'll have to chop off your hands as they're worthless. I kid.

The question becomes what would you like to see to break it up if you could do anything you wanted?

4. Mrwubbs

Mrwubbs Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I think the game needs to be sped up a bit, and the controls need polishing. After that it will be great.

5. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    Where did you feel it started to need to be sped up? Are you getting the problem other people have of sliding when you want to do another action?

6. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    A secondary post today.

Me and the rest of the team just wanted to thank everyone again for supporting us and leaving feedback. We're having a meeting today to start deciding the plan for the update content. I'll post the entire plan as soon as everything is finalized.

If you have any feedback at all good, bad, ugly or just want to curse me out it's all totally chill. We can't keep improving this game without you guys. I read every single post and I write this feedback down.

-Lawrence

7. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    Bought the game and played it for a while, with close due to snow yay. So, I love the art, im a sucker for graphics like this, but it's the gameplay that kills it for me(in a bad way.) It's just so basically boring even when the difficulty ramps up which is a shame as I was looking forward to this one and I love the look. Here's hoping some updates can change my mind so for now I'll keep it on my phone. Can't say that it was worth the money though that may change later.

8. Mrwubbs

Mrwubbs Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I find that the game is a bit too slow in general, especially during the boss battles. Also yes the controls are finicky for me. Especially when I'm trying to slide, and she punches instead, and vice versa.

9. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    Can you explain this more? What is boring and what would you change?

Hmmm do you have big or small hands? Also what device are you on? There might have to be some sensitivity options added.

10. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
  11. neca

neca Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    I agree in both things. Also I think it's too easy, too many hits to die, but I like it in general.

12. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    We've gotten that feedback a good deal now. I think in the future we're starting to consider adding a difficulty level. I'll have an official announcement on what'll be going into the first update Monday. Thanks for the feedback!

13. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    Ok here's what we'll have going in for the first update. I'll be able to give a date for it's release once we're a little farther in the process [we're about half way done now].

- Game Center Achievements [Story and Survival Mode]
    - Game Center Survival Mode Leaderboard
    - Game balancing [Adding special to survival mode, kill amount changes, boss changes]
    - Bug Fix: Leyla slowly floats down if damaged while jumping about 10% of the time
    - Survival mode is getting expanded with more enemy combinations, minibosses and the story mode bosses
    - Killstreak Goals that will unlock equipment changes and a new costume for both Leyla and the Juggerbot

I'll keep you posted as development goes on! Remember if you have any feedback let us know!

- Lawrence

14. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    Apologies for the double post but I did miss something in the list:

- Add control sensitivity controls

We noticed a lot of the time people are having trouble with them mostly because they're calibrated to a small range of finger/hand sizes so we're going to add 3 settings to the new update so you can make them twitchier or looser depending. Date forthcoming!

-Lawrence

15. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    [​IMG]

The loadout screen is coming along, I just wanted to pop in and show you guys the progress and answer any questions related. Everything will be unlocked by getting kill streaks in the game.

-Lawrence

16. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    Update goes out March 3rd!

I talk a little more about what's left to do here: Instagram

It's going to be a pretty big update so apologies that it's taken this much time but we really think you guys will be happy with it.

- Lawrence

17. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
  18. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    Just to keep everyone update we're still waiting on Apple the review and approve the update. I think it's taking so long because it's giant or they hate us for stealing their money in that botched bank job in South America. Either way thanks for being patient!

- Lawrence

[​IMG]

19. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    The update is live!

Let us know any feedback you have on it. There's a minor bug with weapons switching on level 4 that we noticed and are shipping another small update tonight but please keep us posted with any thoughts and concerns.

-Lawrence

20. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Can someone tell me how it plays after the update, thanks =D