Making a sliding block puzzle game - Shapist

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by takemuraori, Nov 5, 2013.

1. 1stSPIN

1stSPIN Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    Download it tomorrow and let you know what I think

2. takemuraori

takemuraori Well-Known Member

2 1stSPIN - Awesome, thanks! Looking forward to your feedback!

3. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    1 st impression
    Your game is nicely, professionally done. It looks like an appleish simplistic game.
    Movement is good and clean
    Instructions are not totally intuitive and could use some thought as to how to introduce that into the game without changing the look.
    The video I seen was more exciting than the game.
    You have a chance to be Apple recommended which will help boost your down loads and purchases.
    This type of puzzle game may not have the huge audience appeal such as some of the other casual games out there but in this business you may luck out and get some real momentum that pushes you over the top.
    The player retention value may be for about 7 days then occasional play there after, if you get the right number of players that is enough time for them to recommend it to their social media friends.
    From my experience with painting and creating products the best is to work on your next game and then the next because the more you make the more chances you have of coming out with a winner and keep coming back to your previous games to see how you could make them better.

I will keep playing it and let you know if I see anything else I could bring to your attention.

Now for what is really important. Your first game to hit the charts will not happen because it is great game or by posting here or by listening to comment here it will just happen when it is meant to happen but then after the road should be a lot easier for you.

4. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    Played the game some more. It gets better as you get into it. I have a few questions. Is this like the wood rectangle, square slide game etc game? If it is what have you done to your game to make it better. Is it the lock and unlock blocks or is there something else. If that is I would look at the game some more and see how your can incorporate that into some other pieces to add an interesting element into it.

5. takemuraori

First of all - thanks a lot for feed back, we are working on a next game but decided to return to Shapist and give it some extra attention and more levels, I keep seeing that people really enjoy the game but discoverability is a big issue for us so we are giving it some more love.

TO answer your question - there are a lot of special, physics driven mechanics as you progress, i would say 5 various special blocks and 5+ if you count special wall type :) ...

6. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    Yes I see you have an accordion wall and I would imagine as you go more into the game there have more creative blocks. I would say it is worth while to put effort in the game. It give your company credibility.

Good luck.

7. takemuraori

8. takemuraori

9. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    10K for a first release in the mobile environment is a real success. The game is cool but it always more of a cult than popular game. You should be proud of that result not talk it down.

I am interested in how that revenue was made/what methods. For my games 95% of revenue is ads (v paid downloads) and 85% is iPhone ( I also have far more downloads on iPhone). I don't really do marketing however which is an issue!

10. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    You did just fine and you will do better. Keep on pushing

11. takemuraori

2 Destined We monetized Shapist in a very respectful to a player way, you get a game to try for free no ads etc, you play 15 puzzles and if you want to play another 60 you pay once - game unlocks. The new game I am doing - KoriKori we will try ads.

2 1stSPIN
    Thank you for kind words, and great support. I Keep pushing it!

12. takemuraori

It has been crazy months and years, we are working on two new games, one you heard about here - KoriKori and another one is Tallnum, something we have not talked much about but will start to.

However this is something that I absolutely have to share with every indie developer - two years from release, our puzzle game Shapist has finally been featured on Google today!