Making a sliding block puzzle game - Shapist

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by takemuraori, Nov 5, 2013.

1. takemuraori

takemuraori Well-Known Member

2. takemuraori

Shapist has been nominated at Indie Prize Amsterdam as
    The BEST MOBILE GAME
    The BEST GAME IN DEVELOPMENT

we are very happy, proud, overwhelmed.

3. takemuraori

Small but important update

We are a little bit delayed with the unforeseen complication during Apple review process, the game will be out by 18th. (we plan to have it softly available from evening 16th but just in case). thank you everyone for support!

4. takemuraori

we are still waiting for Apple confirmation... please stay tuned and play browser puzzles at http://www.playshapist.com if you haven't solved all them yet )))

5. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Clearly underestimated the apple approval times! Hope you get the big tick soon. They are probably busy swatting flappy clones.

6. Good luck with the Apple review process! Looking forward to playing the game when it's out on iPad :)

7. thegraywolf

thegraywolf Active Member

Feb 3, 2014
    I've played several puzzle games and this game looks neat and fun. I would definitely play it once it's out. Goodluck with the review process. I'm tired of seeing flappy clones.. :(

8. takemuraori

9. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    I'm on the fence with this one.
    Can someone explain the gameplay?

10. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    You know those sliding block puzzle games you played as a little kid, where you move the tiles around to make a picture and one tile was open to restrict your moves?

It is like that except you are trying to reveal something (no idea what it is called).

I am on the fence a little too on this, but it seems to be selling reasonably well, beyond my expectations for it. He has a free version on this web site you can try.

11. You say its selling reasonably well. Did the developer release sales figures?

12. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    not actually figures but appannie releases ranking and I could see he was at least selling a few, not setting the world on fire but probably sold about 300-600 from my guess which isn't bad for a new dev in a hard market. Far beyond what most people get for their first app.

13. takemuraori

Hi, well it is selling, selling far below and not beyond :) we are selling around 3 copied daily, with a bit more sales on first days and when press writes about it, we are only about to reach 200 sales.

That being said I would say it should be very devastated to think that a developer should sell around 600 copies if the app or game is good that number is pretty much 'no sales at all'

14. takemuraori

However: we are continuing working on the game full time and will be releasing new version for Android and Iphone shorty, the version for phones will have lots of new different puzzles to play :)

15. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    Don't be so hard on yourself. You don't have a free version (perhaps you should release the free version from your site to try and get some conversions).

I guess I overestimated your sales a small amount because I wanted to hope those rankings were good for you!

Be careful with Android that you have a different way to make money. Sales on Android will definitely be lower than iOS (by a long way).

Hard puzzle games never really set the store on fire it seems.

It is actually why I choose to release for free, I would rather people download, play and at least have the chance to try and see if it is good or not. When you are paid a lot of people won't even give you the chance based on a few screenshots unless it has been recommended by a friend etc.

16. takemuraori

2 Destined: - about free version we are thinking how to make a free to download version that would still feel like an uninterrupted experience and have same visual concept without words etc, for iphone / android

17. takemuraori

Shapist for iPad will have updated difficulty curve, some UI tweaks and animations and most importantly will be on limited time 3 days sale at 0.99 usd for the full game from Friday 28th to Sunday this week.

* those of you who are interested in Android / iPhone version - work is progressing nicely, screenshots of new puzzles are coming soon :)

18. unexpect3rd

unexpect3rd Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Mobile Game Developer (Fulltime as well as indie)
    Singapore
    I have just found out about this game. It's really nicely design, as expect3rd from a design house. Fellow SG developer, great job.

19. takemuraori

[​IMG]
    Some design work in progress notes and screen shots:
    A) The new version will have around a half of levels being made from scratch (I already made 21 new puzzles) - that is done for two reasons 1 - the board size for mobile version is based on optimal size per tile vs human finger so that it feels comfortable to control on what we take as smallest screen we hope to support - iphone 4. Thus levels that are winder than 5 tiles in width are not getting into the game. Second reason is that I really want to tell all the 'story' of sliding block puzzles though the mechanics, composition and twists, in other words I want to have all the possible awesome surprises AHA and eureka moments that you can include without changing the rules or mechanics, and i feel tehre is something like 15% of those yet to be told.

B) There will be a new addition to complexity and you can see some UI design work and variations on that top photo - design ideas on the left and what we ended up having on the right...

C) Finally this is how game looks like on 3 years old Android SH12C phone from Sharp x Docomo,
    [​IMG] no reset or menu button, some developers strangle instead - and tiles on that screen shot are slightly bigger than they will be (You can see only a board of 4 in width is shown to fill the screen).

20. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Will the existing app go from iPad only to Universal or will there be a separate iPhone version? If the latter, will the changes get folded into the iPad version?