Universal Major Mayhem [adult swim]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Nov 10, 2011.

1. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    VIDEO NOT AVAILABLE IN YOUR COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!! (Australia)

WTF!?!? :mad:

2. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Got the same response from Canada too.
    It seems they have the same restrictions across their entire YouTube channel.

3. Antony Blackett

Antony Blackett Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Male
    Game Developer
    Wellington, New Zealand
    #23 Antony Blackett, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  4. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Bought!

It would appear that the animations and graphic weren't the 2D comic style screenshots somehow portrayed.

5. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Yeah, it does and I keep playing it, even though when you climb the ladder on the helicopter and it seems to keep dropping you off in the same place! :p As to the game Epoch, unfortunately, I haven't been able to actually play it yet since it crashes after the title screen every time. Tried the usual remedies, and it's no different. Seems others with an ipod 4th gen. are experiencing the same thing. Oh, well, I'll be patient, as an update will surely fix that.

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Very strange, I've gotten through five levels without it crashing once. Not sure what's up.

In any case, I just picked this up. Will leave impressions later.

7. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    It's little more than a shooting gallery where you alternate between shooting and reloading/taking cover. The game looks/sounds great, but there's not much to it. There's plenty of levels but all of them are based on having quick reflexes/accurate tapping. It's more of a high-score game than anything. There's no control of movement. I guess if this is the type of game you're looking for, it's pretty awesome. I was looking for a cover-based shooter, and this isn't it.

8. Red1

Red1 Moderator

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    I got the same message in New Zealand:
    "The uploader has not made this video available in your country"

I'm always surprized when developers don't have gameplay footage and trailers ready for their release. It must lead to loss of sales eg: this thread alone has over 1500 views.

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #29 squarezero, Nov 11, 2011
    No offense, but I don't know your could read the game description or the comments on this thread and think that Major Mayhem was a cartoony version of Gears of War. We've been using Epoch and Time Crisis as points of comparision, both of which are tap-based and on rails.

Just so nobody else is confused: Major Mayhem is an arcade experience, plain and simple. There is some variety to it (run and jump sections, multiple weapons, environmental destruction, bonus targets, civilians to rescue, etc) but they all fit squarely within the arcade framework. It also uses a 3-star rating system to encourage replay. It is highly polished and tons of fun, but it is not a cartoony version of Gears of War or Rainbow Six.

10. Antony Blackett

Antony Blackett Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Male
    Game Developer
    Wellington, New Zealand
    There is an international viewable video on the OP. It links to our facebook page which has it. I'll get adult swim to make the trailer internationally accessible on you tube today.

-Ants

p.s. Good to see a fellow kiwi on here. :)

11. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #31 backtothis, Nov 11, 2011
    No, I was expecting gameplay like Epoch, not just reflex-based tapping with levels based on high scores. Not sure why I'd think it was a TPS.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Once you get past the first few levels of Major Mayhem, the gameplay gets closer to Epoch's, with timing becoming as big a factor as reflexes. Perhaps it says something about my opinion of it, but I don't see Epoch as much of a cover based shooter, either.

13. Bertman

Bertman Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Is it also like Operation WOW?

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Sort of, at a very basic level.

15. Bertman

Sep 7, 2011
    Then I think I will pass. I had fun with Operation Wow for awhile but just not my thing. Glad other people are liking this though.

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    When I say at a basic level, I mean at a really basic level. Ultimately Major Mayhem is much closer to Time Crisis than something as crude as Operation WOW -- it's certainly not tap-as-fast-as-you-can. It also adds some elements of an endless runner to mix things up.

It's an arcade game. As long as you're comfortable with that, you won't go wrong here.

17. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Alright, expecting later levels to be more fun! Lol, I'm enjoying Epoch immensely xP.

18. Bertman

Sep 7, 2011
    Ok so gameplay wise it has more to offer than Operation WOW? I have never played Time crisis before so not sure about that. I'm cool with an arcade game as long as it stays interesting.

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Time Crisis is the classic on-rails arcade cover shooter. In its cabinet form it was played with a light gun, but on iOS it was translated to tap-to-shoot. Basically, you are taken from one environment to the next, and you hide behind cover while bullets fly then stand up to shoot at enemies that pop in and out of cover. Major Mayhem plays similarly, but in 3rd person and along a horizontal scrolling landscape. Its a simple game, but very, very polished and with enough variety and pace-changes to keep things intesting.

20. Bertman

Sep 7, 2011
    Got it. So far I love it lots of fun!