Universal Major Mayhem 2 (by Rocket Jump)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Antony Blackett, Apr 25, 2018.

1. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
    Thanks for answering that question Antony I have also left you a DM as well on another matter :)

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Thanks for responding and being active here, Anthony. =D
    Is totally be down for purchasing an unlimited energy IAP if you decide to add it.
    Sooo... Toss a number into the hat for that.
    =D

I'm really enjoying this so far.
    I don't know if I'll finally delete MM1 from my device just yet (those extra modes are killer). Speaking of those... Were extra modes something you guys were thinking of adding in the future of this does well, or were you leaning more towards expanding the main game/adding more levels?

3. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Awesome, I don’t mind the grind to some extent, especially a game this good. It’s the timers that kill it, only can play a short while. Some days I just binge on games to release the stress of life, haha.

4. Antony Blackett

Antony Blackett Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Male
    Game Developer
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Yeah. They won't be identical to those found in MM1. To be honest I always thought our game modes were a little tacked on and not hugely compelling (arcade mode especially), so I want to reimagine them a bit as well as add some other things that will be completely new to MM2.

I hear ya. Hopefully we can address this is future.

5. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

I’ll support you guys, I understand you guys got to make a living, but timers for me is the kiss of death, sorry. Especially a game this good, should have options.

6. kizuxtheo

kizuxtheo Active Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Male
    Translator
    Venezuela
    Is there a reason this wasn't published by Adult Swim?

7. Antony Blackett

Nov 10, 2011
    Male
    Game Developer
    Wellington, New Zealand
    We wanted to self-publish it for a few reasons:
    - I'm a control freak, I thought we could do a better job responding and reacting to feedback without publisher acting as a middleman. Time will tell if this was a good idea :O.
    - The game has an established audience thanks to Major Mayhem 1 so we are less reliant on marketing from a publisher.
    - Being self-published allows us to develop our own relationships with platforms like Apple and Google which will benefit us with future titles.

We are still working with Adult Swim from time to time to ensure Major Mayhem 1 stays alive and well on the store.

8. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    so... there are no forced ads, right?

count me in in this case

9. Antony Blackett

Nov 10, 2011
    Male
    Game Developer
    Wellington, New Zealand
    If you buy something, you will never see a forced ad (interstitials).

Forced ads (interstitials) don't kick in for a while and only kick in if you never pay money or never watch a rewarded ad. If you see a forced ad, watch a rewarded ad and they'll disappear again.

I don't think we've served a single forced ad to anyone so far.

10. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    Only IF they bought something in the game. Anyway thanks for explanation, if I remember correctly it’s the same typology you used in MM1, right?

I’ll look forward to buy something and get rid of all ads. Thankyou.

11. Rangerlump

Rangerlump Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Add me to the "IAP to remove timers / energy" crowd. Im bad about dropping mad cash on F2P games, especially in a latenight ambien daze when trying to sleep.

I binge hard on games and really like to play as much as I want too. My normal cycle on games is to try it, buy all unlocking IAP, binge, binge, binge, move onto other games.

Take my money please...

12. NotHuskyStarcraft

Apr 10, 2018
    I'm seconding almost everybody else's advice. This game is so much fun (I LOVED the first one) but changing the in app purchases / cooldowns would make it so much more fun. Have all the in-app purchases been lucrative for you so far?

13. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Unfortunately I’ve got to agree with everyone else. Loved the first one to bits and the actual gameplay is just as good as the last one, but the monetisation just seems far too high. I’m making about 150 coins per game, and I just don’t think I want to play another 20 or so levels before I can get enough cash to even buy the first weapon!

14. Analander

Analander Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2014
    Since we're on the subject... I recall a few people mentioning that the original MM was injected with spyware and tracking malware... is this true (especially for the Android version?)

15. kizuxtheo

kizuxtheo Active Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Male
    Translator
    Venezuela
    I highly doubt it, specially since the game doesn't require any special permissions. You can pretty much look up any android app and there's going to be rumors of them having malware, viruses and shit, and more often than not it's fake. You can load your android devices with hundreds of anti-virus apps if you want.

16. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Happy that the dev is here and will hopefully take the feedback into account.

I’ve spent some more time with it as I was such a fan of the first. It’s a great game and evolves really well.

The monitization definitely is a little over board. I bought .99 worth of gems as a test just to see how it goes. Wanted to get a new weapon as it makes the game play easier.

There are just too many currencies and timers for extended enjoyment. Waiting 2 hours to open a chest, having only 10 “lives” (energy), the ammount of coins it takes to buy a gun or upgrade, etc.

Happy to pay a one time IAP but not worth it to keep sinking money in constantly.

17. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Just wanted to come back and say thank you for adding a graphics and battery saver option to the settings menu. This has fixed my battery drain issue... =P
    I feel kinda stupid for not seeing it sooner.
    =P

Anyway... Definitely enjoying the crap out of this after playing about an hour and a half (total).
    I haven't felt pushed towards IAP unnecessarily (yet)... So that's a plus. Then again... I think I got accustomed to the slow coin buildup in the original - even with the coin doubler.
    =P
    This sequel actually feels a bit more fair is currency earnings.

18. Antony Blackett

Nov 10, 2011
    Male
    Game Developer
    Wellington, New Zealand
    #38 Antony Blackett, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Yeah, that's exactly how MM1 works.

Most people on this forum are going to be of similar opinions, that's probably why you've all gravitated to this website/forum. As for revenue, yeah it seems to be performing better than MM1 so far. It's still early so it's hard to tell if this is because early adopters spend more on average or if it's because it is more effectively monetised.

Major Mayhem like all free to play games has analytics (to help diagnose problems and improve the game) and ad networks that track data to serve more targeted ads and measure performance of ads. That's the extent of it. Android is a large place and it is possible someone downloaded and decompiled the apk and then recompiled it with spyware and other such stuff but they would never be able to upload that back to the store. As long as you download our games from official channels (google play, app store, amazon app store, windows store) then you will be getting a safe apk/app.

That was the intention, to allow you to play a little each day and earn coins through daily login and opening cases, rather than the eternal level grind of the first game. The only downside MM2 has at the moment is we don't have achievements and mission objectives to give you that initial boost to your coins. We will be adding that 'soon'. And it doesn't allow endless level grinding, the idea there was to combat game fatigue, but I understand now that some people like that.

I'd just like to say one thing that might help people understand why game developers like us do the things we do.

Major Mayhem is my baby. I've spent 4 years of my life working on Major Mayhem 1 and 2. I want it to succeed and be loved and last the test of time. But over my 12 years in the games industry, and 8 years being an indie dev, I've come to realise that without a sustainable business model a game and games company is as good as dead and the players as well as the developers are ones that lose. The more successfully we monetise, the more confident we can be about the future, the more bold we can become, the more we can reinvest to improve this game and create awesome new games in the future.

19. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    MM1 was a great game and i can definitely agreed with the dev here that MM2 is even better. TBH im so sad when they decided to change MM1 into FTP route but now since i really love the first one then im giving the sequel a chance and it turned out to be great. you guys should at least try the the game, im sure you gonna love it. play the first 20 levels and everything seems quite balance. pretty sure to drop couple of bucks to get rid of the energy timer.

20. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Great to see a sequel. The original had a unique appeal, and this looks to have built on that.