Major breakthrough: decent (!) radio stream recording added to Pocket Tunes + sale!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Menneisyys, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    (NOTE: I dedicate a full, separate article to the new version to gain as much attention as possible as 1. It has really groundbreaking features 2. the sale will end soon. Note that you may still want to read my all-in-one roundup Everything you'll ever need to know about listening to radio on the iPhone.)

So far, no radio program (except for the free and, otherwise, pretty limited FStream) could record radio streams. With the just-released version 5.4 of Pocket Tunes this has changed: now, you can record your stuff. What is more, in the original (highly compressed) format – unlike FStream, which uses CD-quality recording without any compression, taking up about 500-600 Mbytes an hour.

[​IMG]
    (the official AppStore “what’s changed” screen)

[​IMG]
    (recording a 128 kbps WMA stream)

1. Differences between FStream and Pocket Tunes

1.1 Recording format

Most importantly, Pocket Tunes records the files in their original format (AAC(+), MP3 and WMA). There isn’t any metadata recorded in addition to the pure audio, though.

1.2 Finding the recorded files

Unfortunately, Pocket Tunes (as with FStream - or, for that matter, the great Web browser iCab Mobile when it comes to the downloaded files it saves) stores its files in the home directory (under “Documents”), which can’t be directly accessed on a non-jailbroken phone – as opposed to some other apps like YourTube, which puts them under Media/Downloads/YourTube. Unlike FStream (or iCab Mobile) where you can access the files from a separate computer via the built-in Web server (accessible via More / Web : Web Management / Server Activation: Activated in FStream and [Settings icon / ] Export / Import / Start Server in iCab Mobile), you can’t access the recordings via Wi-Fi either, should you want to avoid jailbreaking your phone to gain direct access.

You’ll want to read THIS for a tutorial on how you can find the home directory of Pocket Tunes. Just enter this directory and, under that, in Documents/PtRecordings, you’ll find your recordings.

1.3 Filenames

The filenames in Pocket Tunes are plain ascending numbers (1, 2 etc.) and no easily readable file contains the station name and the timestamp of the recording. That is, if you would like to know the time of the recording / the station, you’ll need to fire up Pocket Tunes and go to the new “My Recording” station directory. An example screenshot of it:

[​IMG]
    (FStream allows for renaming the records to anything.)

1.4 OGG recording

Unfortunately, Pocket Tunes doesn’t support OGG recording. It does record a file but it’s unplayable. This means you still must use FStream to record OGG streams – into, of course, uncompressed (that is, very large) files. Hope the developers of PTunes come up with at least an uncompressed record option to remedy the situation.

Fortunately, FStream doesn’t consume much power when continuously recording OGG either. In my tests (under exactly the same circumstances as with testing Pocket Tunes’ battery consumption in Section 2 below), it produced about the same power consumption figure (5%/hour for THIS stream) as Pocket Tunes playing back (and recording) a 64 kbps AAC+ (NOT HE-AACv2!) stream.

1.5 Fast forward / rewind

FStream doesn’t offer any kind of fast forward / rewind functionality when playing back previous recordings. Pocket Tunes does. While it doesn’t have a slider (unlike a decent multimedia player) for random positioning, it has two arrows to the left/right of the main control area in this playback mode, which quickly skip / rewind 15 seconds upon every tap. This is also shown in the following screenshot:

[​IMG]

2. Power consumption

I’ve pretty thoroughly tested the battery usage of enabled recording. I have some great news: simultaneously recording a stream will result in no additional battery use at all – as opposed to some other apps also using the file system to implement time shifting.

With a 1.FM station (AAC+ 64k), streaming over Wi-Fi, the two cases resulted in exactly the same 5.5%/hour battery usage (starting from 100%) on a 3G S.

3. HE-AACv2

Note that Pocket Tunes doesn’t support HE-AACv2 by default. Nevertheless, there’s a codec meant for it; it needs to be purchased from inside the app. It costs $3. While I did try, I haven’t managed to purchase it – I’ve received some error messages when trying to initiate purchasing. (Needless to say: much as my phone is – of course! – jailbroken, my copy of Pocket Tunes isn’t pirated – as can also be seen in the first screenshot above.) Some screenshots showing this:

[​IMG]
    Upon encountering a HE-AACv2 stream, Pocket Tunes automatically offers the in-app purchase of the decoder
    [​IMG]
    If you tap “Show more information”, you’re taken here with the built-in Web browser
    [​IMG]
    (second page of the same Web page)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is what is shown when you tap the Buy button – again, my copy is legit (I’ve paid $10 for it); that is, probably it just dislikes jailbroken phones, which is VERY bad practice.

4. Sale!

Currently, Pocket Tunes is offered at $7. The developer states it will soon be raised to $10 (again).

5. Verdict

Now with the new recording feature (and also the recently added background playback one), Pocket Tunes has become one of the best choices. I can only recommend it.

2. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

3. djflippy

Mar 9, 2009
    Can anyone compare the sound quality of this app versus the other popular options?

4. Yea don't think the dev has any ability to control that but rather Apple. Neither of my ipod touches are jailbroken so I had no problem purchasing the AAC decoder Plus for $3. I'd say it's worth it and yes I do notice the difference. I have it hooked up via line in to my Logitech ipod speakers I got at Costco. Having said that it's only if you like a few of the AAC stations, otherwise, you can pass on it.

[​IMG][​IMG]

It does say now (maybe it didn't when you attempted to purchase it)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

One issue is you cannot buy the addon for your other idevices which SUCKS the big one. Think I'm going to write to the dev about this one. Makes me scared to ever wipe and restore my ipod touch. Damn you Dolby.

[​IMG]

Thanks a ton for the huge and I do mean huge amount of info spewing out of your brain and fingers Menneisyys about all the radio iphone apps. Remember 90% (ok don't really know % but it's high) users just read and don't comment but doesn't mean they don't value the info presented.

I was torn between Pocket Tunes and ootunes and the recording pushed me over the edge and I ended up getting Pocket Tunes. The 15 second back or forward skipping for the recorded sessions is great but I'd really like them to also add a timeline we can drag as you can do with recorded sessions in Scanner 911 app. Especially useful for talk shows perhaps you want to skip to a certain time within a 2 hours or more 15 seconds isn't pratical no matter how fast you press.

5. Decided to try again and it worked. So perhaps just waiting a day works. Got the addon for my 2nd ipod touch.
    [​IMG]

Also bought ootunes to compare them. Definitely have pros and cons for each one.

6. djflippy

Mar 9, 2009
    Do share. I bought Pocket Tunes Radio and like it, but would like to hear your opinions on ooTunes.

7. They both claim to have about 15,000 or so radio stations. Well I'd say that's true with ootunes but I'd say pocket tunes has about 4 or 5 times less unless I'm filtering wrong or whatever. For instance say I browse by country and choose Japan.

ootunes has 41 selections. Yes a few here are there are the same station with different bitrates but still wide selection.
    pocket tunes has 2 selections. Now I know there are more but it only shows two so now I go to global search and input "japan" and I get 7. So yeah it's basically ootunes 41 to pocket tunes 7.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Advantages of ootunes
    - sleep timer (although you can use built in sleep timer with clock app nice to have this option 5 mins to 3 hrs can be set)
    - lyrics it looks up (if your lucky with popular song) on lyricwiki website
    - resumes from last station
    - but my favorite is the Radio Roolette feature to random find songs you wish to play. They're pretty fresh meaning if you click one usually the song has just started. You can just let it refresh every 10 secs. Also once playing hit the world interweb and radio rolette comes up so it's quick.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Advantages of Pocket Radio
    - has $3 addon aac+ decoder
    - recording...recording 9 hour sessions yesterday. Can only forward/backward by 15 secs so slider would be welcome in the future.

Both can play in background with mobile safari most of the stations. So which do I prefer....still undecided and will be for a month or so I'm guessing as I play with both of them.

8. ootunes now has recording. It's kinda flaky. Not sure if it's deleting recording and two is the max unless you save them which is really weird. I think one of the issues is it records them and it won't even show them as it probably is encoding them in the background to save space I'm guessing.

To save them you hit edit and those red delete things show but you tap the title and the name will come up in a blue popup and you can save supposedly....well I say that cuz might did the circle of death so not sure if I waited long enough or what. I do like how you can jump anywhere within the recording but it's pretty small area to put your finger to do so.

I guess it's a step in the right direction but has some definite speed bumps. To record btw it's in timer thing you tap which gives you option "Scedule a Recording" unless I'm missing something obvious somewhere else.

9. ootunes

ootunes New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    ooTunes Radio Recording

@mrbass
    Check out the new in app help pages on recording:
    http://help.ootunes.com/app/index.htm?question=2

Recording is automatic. If you're listening, it's recording. That's why it only keeps the last 2 (by default) so it doesn't fill the disk. No it's not transcoding anything, they are saved in the same format as the stream is encoded in. You never need to touch the "scheduled recording" page unless you want to have it start recording in the middle of the night.

The wait time between tapping the recording and saving it permanently should be fixed as soon as apple approves version 3.0.1 (almost a week now since submitted).

Let me know if you have suggestions or any other questions,
    Steve
    ooTunes Nerd

10. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    How can I see (completely) the buffer line at the bottom? There are always these Icons as an fixed overlay. In versions < 3.x it was possible to tap to switch the view.

And how can I rewind the live stream? I can pause the stream and continue, but there is no button to go back in the (current) buffer.

11. MaxPower

MaxPower Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Anyone else have thoughts on the recording feature of ootunes? I'm trying to decide between pocket tunes and ootunes. I'm leaning towards ootunes, but the recording issues mrbass posted above concern me a bit.

Any more opinions? Does it record Sirius ok? Are there any limitations (other than disk space) on how much you can have recorded?

12. ootunes

ootunes New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    The only time you can't tap the screen to show/hide those controls is if you have "voiceover" mode on. Disable it unless you are using voiceover.

As for rewinding in a live stream, it's not yet possible but will be in a future update.
    Hope that helps.

13. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    #13 badmanj, Dec 30, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
    I've not tried PocketTunes but I have ooTunes. I like it but I do find it a bit confusing.

In the recordings, it would be so nice if it could re-show the track names, album covers, lyrics like it does when it plays live. I hear a track I like, save the recording... but then the name etc is lost! Why lose that info?

Also, the web page mentions an alarm clock feature? Where is this?

Jamie.

14. MaxPower

MaxPower Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Well, I decided to go with ootunes. It seems pretty good so far, but I agree with those that say the UI is a little cluttered/confusing.

My only real complain is that I have to log in to sirius every time I start the app. Does everyone have to do that, or did I set something up wrong?