iPad Mahjong Fairyland is out

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Carlos-Sz, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    #1 Carlos-Sz, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
    Mahjong Fairyland - $1.99 (it was $4.99) - 29.6 MB

Mahjong Fairyland Lite - Free

Version 1.1 (21Apr2009)

What's new:

- Resume
    - Sound/music on/off
    - iPod music support
    - bugs fixed

It's possible to finally enjoy the game!

However, I still think statistics should include number of games played at least.

In addition, it'd nice to see something like a career or tournament mode to increase the replay value.

The game is in the right direction and the price is really fair now.

The lite version was not updated yet.

First impressions

After a 15 seconds loading time you have a chance to select the language and you’ll find later that it is the only option available, not even mute or volume. Not good.

Then a nice “Tap here to start” screen is presented with a cute short background music that loops. The cute become annoying after a minute. Volume down. Now mute. Not good.

The second screen has the interface itself. “High score” is a welcome statistics (sort of) that has total of wins but not total of games nor total of losses. Instructions are very easy to follow.

When you tap “Start” you can select the opponents or just press “Random” button. Once they are set a 7 seconds loading time is necessary.

The graphics are nice. The “cute” design does nothing for the game because the guys are lifeless, just a game wallpaper. The sounds could be better. But the background music is hard to keep listening to and you can NOT turn it off!

You have a nice view of your tiles however the discarded tiles have a blurred aspect and there’s no way to see them in an alternative view. Players tiles have a top view (just press “Info” button at top right - hard to press by the way). A top view, as an option, is really necessary (really!).

The gameplay itself was designed to be fast (no undo) and it works well. Tap once will discard a tile (be careful). Tap-hold and move your finger across the tiles will highlight each tiles (like a Mac dock) so you can easily find the one you’d like to discard.

Plays like “Pong” for example are automatically suggested for you and a wheel alike interface is displayed so you can make a decision.

When you are ready to win you only have to watch because moves become automatic. As I said it was meant to be fast!

Now the really bad news: you can’t resume a game! Unforgivable for a $4.99 title.

After playing two games I have a feeling that I found more issues than qualities: subpar music, just OK sounds, it can’t resume, the “cute” factor is lifeless, incomplete statistics and a board view angle that I’m still not sure if it is the best for this game.

If you really like this kind of game and considering there’s no alternative then you may enjoy but be aware that you’ll have to mute the game to keep your mind healthy.

Rate: 2/5

[​IMG]

2. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Real Mahjong, yay! Graphics look pretty good, but I'm not a fan of its cutesyness. Pass.

3. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    I love cuteness :D Carlos, I hope you do buy it because I might pick it up if the gameplay is good.

4. Monopoly

Monopoly Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    haha it looks really well done, Id deff play it..but not for 5 bux :(

5. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I heart Mahjong. I saw this and tried to purchase it immediately. I got the message; "the item you tried to buy is no longer available." Drat. I will try again later, I suppose.

6. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Dude you have no idea how happy I am! I was the guy who really wanted mahjong police because it was the only real mahjong game in the app store. I ended up not getting it because it was only in Japanese. I'm still slightly skeptical on this version but if you say its good, I'll slam the money down for it.

7. blankj5

blankj5 Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Fun!

Its pretty fun. I downloaded the game on my girls phone, since she enjoyed the mahjong game I downloaded on XBLA. Though the price is kinda steap, its pretty good though. Worth the money.

8. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I bought Mahjong Police a while back. :D I don't understand the story but that isn't necessary for gameplay.

9. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    P. S. I think China Mahjong is also a real (not solitaire) Mahjong game.

10. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    First impressions added.

Check the initial post.

Rate: 2/5

11. CandyNJ66

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    The characters don't move at all? Disappointing

12. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    Just subtle moves while discarding and some e.g. "Pong" calling, nothing more.

13. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    No resume functions means a no go. There's just no excuse for that and this should just be standard on all apps.

14. Steve2000

Steve2000 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Putting "Fairyland" in the title pretty much guarantees that only girls will buy this. This could be the greatest game in the store and there's still no way I'd be able to buy it.

15. CandyNJ66

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    As a woman, I find that statement to be ridiculous. The original poster bought it and that person is a man. You wouldn't buy a game because of it's title??

16. Steve2000

Steve2000 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    If one of my buddies asked me what I was playing and I answered, "Oh it's this cool game called Mahjong Fairyland" Do you have any idea how badly I'd be beaten?

Yes, I certainly would discriminate against a great game because of it's name.

17. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I bought it and I am also a man. But then again I am also a fairy. :p

18. CandyNJ66

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    You need mature friends. Are they teens?

19. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
  20. tekssx

tekssx Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Not Texas... lol
    Hehe, is it just me or does that character in the middle kind of look like Link from The Legend of Zelda.. but with a mustache.. lol I can't afford this game =/