Universal Magic: the Gathering - Puzzle Quest (by D3PA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Cavok

Cavok New Member

Nov 10, 2013
    California
    Gem Matching

Perhaps I missed this during the tutorial, but what does matching the gems with the Planeswalker symbol activate?

2. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    As you level up your planeswalker gets abilites. those gems charge them up. You also get walker ability points from matching regular gemns, just not as much. i prefer to let those happen on their own and aim for the color gems. Unless im specifically planning to use an ability and need it next turn. You cant activate the ability after you match so theres a bit of a plan ahead needed.

3. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Am I missing something or is there no way to tell who a given support gem belongs to?

4. Montanx

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Tap it and the card it goes to will glow.

5. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    #165 Misguided, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    It shows the card, but not who it belongs to. How can you tell whose it is?

Also, I like Nissa well enough. Is leveling her up a bad idea?

And finally, is there no queue to see what cards your opponent just played? This seems like a serious oversight.

6. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    What's the purpose of having duplicates of cards?

When can I get a planes walker that can use more than one color?

7. Montanx

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Nissa is really good. No que for played cards, there should be.

No point yet, there needs to be. No walkers like that yet but there should be.

8. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    I was under the impression that the heroic challenges had decent rewards. Just beat first and third objectives for Nissa with my own Nissa (level 24) and only got 545 stones and 8 crystals. Nice, tense fight, but not great rewards. Where are you guys getting enough to buy the big packs, in the later chapters?

9. GR3NADE

GR3NADE Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Czech republic
    #169 GR3NADE, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    There is an arrow pointing to you or oppoment next to the number of lives of the special gem

The health of your planetwalkers does not display correctly in pvp, so I often go there with 60/60hp and enter the battle with 5/60hp or even zero!!

10. S3Styles

S3Styles Active Member

Jul 29, 2015
    #170 S3Styles, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    Finished single player component of the game using Chandra (lvl 47). If you do all the missions and complete the objectives, it amounts to roughly 1300 or so Mana Crystals. That's enough for two 600 Mana Crystal packs.

Some thoughts on the mechanics of the game;
    - High end Support cards are broken and there just isn't enough removal. If you are lucky to have removals, you usually cannot target specific Supports, it's mostly random. Either have every Support have 1 charge, no stacking (meaning the card has mana but has to wait for the older one to be removed) or have you manually target the Support, though I prefer the first option

- Game isn't balanced, at all. Many cards are not useful and are completely replaced by the higher tier cards

- Nothing to do with duplicate cards, they just sit there but could easily be converted into Credits or Mana Crystal if the developers were kind enough to allow us to do so

- Combat is automated, which is good and bad. On one hand, it is faster and the AI (which is quite stupid) works well with this current play. On the other hand, it takes away from what makes Hearthstone great, which is devising your attacks

- You do not receive mana bonuses for extra gems destroyed by matching 4

- More Credits should be given to repeated playing the more difficult missions (if it does, I barely notice it)

- Even though Multiplayer says "Ready for a real opponent" etc. It is not a real opponent. It is an AI

- Game is fun to go through, but I wouldn't treat it seriously or competitively..

11. dougthead

dougthead Active Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Did you ever figure this out? I also lost two packs.

12. Imagine2JL

Imagine2JL New Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Have you ever play Puzzle Quest 2? compare to this game is this worth to play?

13. snjits

snjits Member

Jan 17, 2015
    liking it so far
    at the beginning of chapter 2 currently

skipped a lot of the play this many supports etc objectives so far since I feel they will be easier once I can get decks more geared towards them after getting first 14 pack (435/600)

though starting to need "luck" at times due to enemies having severely stronger cards than me

opponent getting rhox maulers another 4/4 and a weaker creature in play on its first turn by a "lucky" cascade chain falling in and only getting 1 3/4 match myself for 5 turns straight is pretty silly

have Chandra and liliana at 14 and ofcourse the arguably stronger cards I got so far from the 225 stone packs are white or green (at least I have my own rhox maulers :p)

14. jamesp111

jamesp111 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Stuck on Jace, Vryn's Prodigy

Gave this game another go using a guest account.

Breezed through all the chapter 1 levels until the last one: Jace. The card that kills me is the 'if you have one creature give them +3/+3'.

This card seems completely broken to me: Even if I get lucky and remove the support another one pops up very quickly, and I haven't been able to outrace him with creatures since he only needs one to equal 2-3 of mine.

I've been playing chandra and she's level 16, all other planeswalkers are level 2 and I have no bought cards worth noting (been holding off to level chandra).

How have you guys beaten this?

15. S3Styles

S3Styles Active Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Ya I played both Puzzle Quests and the original remains my favorite. I mean, it's a free game.. you don't have to spend money and even against powerful AI decks you can luck out on your matches.

16. S3Styles

S3Styles Active Member

Jul 29, 2015
    I don't recall that particular card giving me a problem, but Chandra is good for board control. Depending on how much Toughness that single creature has, you might be able to bank on some tokens to cast your Planewalker powers and snipe it. If not, you may need more direct damage spells. Not sure what cards you have. Good luck though.

17. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    As a Jace player myself, this one was effortless. The Claustrophobia support disables the first enemy creature permanently.

(The +3/+3 card is less brutal by comparison than it might seem at first, though. As an example, The Brawler's Plate support card, easily obtained through boosters (I've received several) bestows +2/+2 AND Berserker upon your first creature, alone or not.)

As for a Chandra counter... hmmm, building Loyalty and constantly working to blast the beefed-up enemy creature with your direct damage is about the only reliable method I can think of. Some battles are just harder for some Walkers (well, so far, only Chandra herself has fazed my Jace), and you just need the luck of the draw to get you past. The next story battle will be considerably easier for your Chandra.

18. Caminagetcha

Caminagetcha Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Can anyone tell me the max level of the planewalkers?

Been leveling Lilliana since I always loved dark decks back in the day implanted magic.

Would like to max level her and the another one :p

Really hooked on this

19. Caminagetcha

Caminagetcha Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Go to the place where you buy boosters and instead of buying it appears get them no pay needed or gems..... Discovered it by accident myself it isn't explained anywhere I think

20. jamesp111

jamesp111 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Thanks for the help getting past Jace: I think Ayjona had the best idea with Claustrophobia since that is in a starter deck.

I got past it with the extra cards given by the first daily pack of cards: They gave Chandra a good boost.