Universal Magic: the Gathering - Puzzle Quest (by D3PA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    I can't stand match 3 games but I love magic the gathering but very surprised at how good this game is. I expected to hate it going in but now I'm all in as this game is a lot of fun.

2. dalbertson

dalbertson Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Any one know how many cards there are? I'm currently sitting on 217 and haven't seen anything new in the past 20 packs.

3. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #143 Ayjona, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    Posted this over at the Pocket Tactics forums, and figured I should voice my support of this hugely, surprisingly good game here as well, and assuage some freemium fears:

Timers there are, but only to restore free heals to recuperate your little Planeswalkah in between battles. I've never run out (but then, I'm not a true manaballs-to-the-walls, battery-to-zero gamer).

But no paywall what so ever. That ever-avantgarding Pitta and a few of the other fellas in this thread have already stampeded and swaggered breezily through the whole campaign without spending a dollar, in some cases bought and leveled every single Planeswalker to level 50 in the process, with ten thousands of spare generic multiplanar currency™ to show. I'm fairly far in, and could actually have done with more challenge.

And there are indeed boosters with new cards aplenty to purchase (and earn in other fashions). The freemium urgency is doled out with gleeful, suspicious generosity just by beating particular challenges in the campaign, but even the in-game grind currency can be used to purchase boosters and provide a dangerously infinite source of progression-sexual satisfaction.

But most importantly, before downloading Magic Puzzle Quest, no match 3 since PQ1 had ever held (or often even piqued) my interest. Now, I doubt any other ever will again. MPQ is almost intricate and varied enough (with strong enough progressive hooks to get that illusion of achievement fire burning in dark, neglected chamber of the soul) to make up for the sad state of the Magic Duels client*, entirely different genres notwithstanding.

* I almost lie. Nothing but a fully stable and functional Magic client, with cross-platform play and proper, reliable, universal account system-style cloudsaving can. Or possibly a well-made Call of Cthulhu/Android: Netrunner/new LCG-L5R client.

4. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I get what you are saying, I just think it's kind of steep for a consumable. Conversely, I could spend that same amount of money on an expansion pack for say, Dominion (ducking) just because its something that I would be able to keep in the game permanently and use over and over again. And everyone complained about the cost of the Dominion packs!!

5. scottbailey

scottbailey Active Member

Nov 2, 2013
    This is a very well done game. It has just the right amount of depth and complexity. The graphics and spell effects are very nice. Music and sound effects are well done. I love the mechanic of card interacting with gem matching. I also like that you can shift the order of your hand on the fly.

Online and Facebook are never a problem for me.

6. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    It seems fun enough, and the timers/currency does not bother me. However, on my Ipad Air the game does not run all that smoothly. I don't know if it is lag or the game just processes things slowly, but it appears clunky during play.

7. Quickmix

Quickmix Active Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Record Producer
    Berlin
  8. dougthead

dougthead Active Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Really like the game, but the UI could use some work.

9. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Just a tad too satisfied with my daily login bonus to not share this:

EDIT: hmm, is there any code for hiding attachments behind spoiler tags?

10. jamesp111

jamesp111 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2015
    #150 jamesp111, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    Android: Can't connect to facebook

This could be a surprisingly good match-3 game, with the deckbuilding elements as well.

Shame about the freemium elements but these don't seem onerous so far.

One problem though: On my Android Phone I start a new game and click on 'Connect to facebook' because I already have a save on facebook. It just jumps to the same 'pick a username' then tutorial as if I'd clicked 'Guest'.

I do have facebook installed and logged into my account.

Any ideas of how to solve this or anyone else with the same issue?

EDIT: OK, I worked through the tutorial and then looged into facebook.
    Now I have two savegames on the same facebook account (I only have one facebook account). One savegame on my android phone and another on my ipad. Progress isn't shared.

I've logged both out and back in but still separate savegames.

WTF?

11. gonif

gonif Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    What happens to booster packs you buy but don't open right away? I spent 200 gold on four packs, opened 2, then went to check my inventory about something. Now, I can't figure out where my 2 unopened packs are. In-game support had no information on this.

12. diaskeaus

diaskeaus Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Fun game! Sucks sucks sucks about the region lock, persistent internet connect req, and constant lagging though.

13. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    #153 Dailon80, Dec 11, 2015
    Other than leveling my planeswalker I have not spent any of my currency so I am looking for suggestions on the best way to spend it. I have a lot of both currencies. I did buy one extra planeswalker I forgot about that and I got both to level 3 but since then I went on a spending freeze until I can find out the best way to spend it. Better to find out now early on then waste it. I dont care much for F2P games but when I play them I try to hoard my currencies as best I can until I hit a wall.
    I have 133 mana crystals and 2323 of the other currency.

14. jamesp111

jamesp111 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Will give up on this

I can not only not access my iOS facebook save, my android facebook save is bugged: I've past the tutorial missions but it says chapter one of the story mission is locked, so I have no way to progress it and can't even reset my save to try to get past it....

Have contacted support but not hopeful they'll be able to save it - unsure how much access they'll have to a facebook savegame.

15. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hoard your Mana Crystals until you've 600, and go for the largest booster pack.

Spend nearly all the other currency on levelling your favourite Planeswalker(s) (better chances to beat challenges and earn Mana Crystals, to progress, and to melt faces in PvP), and go for an occasional 250 grind currency booster when the mood strikes :)

16. blebhertz

blebhertz Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    wow this game is really really fun.

17. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Sounds like a plan and you were very helpful. I have no problem hoarding the mana crystals and will do so until I reach 600 and your answer tells me I did right to ask :) otherwise I would've ended up wasting them.

18. BobbyBuckets

BobbyBuckets Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Are any of the planeswalkers at the beginning significantly better than others?

19. searrs

searrs New Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Hey guys, any tips for getting the Commander achievement (cast 10/20 creatures in a single fight) for Story Mode? It's under Kytheon's Irregulars (the third battle). E.g. what cards or planeswalkers to use, I habitually win before I can summon enough.

Thanks!!

20. Mistrija

Mistrija Active Member

Jan 31, 2014
    #160 Mistrija, Dec 11, 2015
    Ohhhhh, as fan of both games I vaited for this excitedly but... I'm not so sure about the cards part...yes I get it, they had to be somewhere implemented but...do they? Weren't the magic mana symbols only enough? Having to deal damage with only cards instead with the "jems" makes duels somewhat slower than classic PuzzleQuest. For me, this is still, or it should be, "match 3" game before anything else, so it feels off when mathing jems makes not so much direct impact on the score. Maybe the damage causing jem (because "skull" is unusable) could be the one which here gives experience, that symbol was not part of the original MTG manas anyway, and cards to work just as spells/boosts in original PQ. Mix like this has questionable playability I'm afraid:( Just doesn't feel like PuzzleQuest. It's like playing two games simultaneously but not in a good way.