Universal Magic: the Gathering - Puzzle Quest (by D3PA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Nov 21, 2015.

1. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Talbs why I can understand your gripe I think the sharing actually adds to the layer of strategy. You obviously don't know what the opponent will move but you can almost bet they will always go for the 4-play so you can actually set it up the turn before to make sure they go for said play while on the other side of the board you've set yourself up for a better play. It's really quite fun. Now mind you when a 4-play is made it nukes the whole line and everything drops or slides but still. If you could just play on your own board I don't think the game would be as good. You'd get bored really quick because you could just play your turn perfect everytime. That's my opinion on it at least.

Also I can't wait to play online against people!!!! I've made a pretty damn sick Chandra deck and id love to test it out on people! It's very OP in my opinion but it's only against AI for now. I'm clearing the first part of Chapter 3 but I'm making myself stop because I don't want to beat it all and have to wait a month to play it again ): I've been addicted to this damn game since I DL it.

To get Chandra from level 40 to level 41 it's going to cost 188,000 stones lol oh boy

2. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    By the end of the game, without doing the extra missions (on purpose at least), you will sit on about 4-5 millions stones :)

I can feel the pain about not wanting to play onward waiting for the global launch.
    I couldn't resist...I was so desperate I reinstalled Magic Duels but I'm actually liking a lot more MtG:pQ with its speed.
    I'm just playing the heroic encounters over and over...sometimes, for some reason, the great AI kicks in and they are more difficult than the usual.

The worldwide global launch can't come soon enough...I'm hoping they will make it before the AppStore lockdown.

3. Sequence

Sequence Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Loving this game. I love how accessible it is; a lot of ccgs are pretty hard to get into but this is pretty easy to pick up while maintaining that Magic The Gathering feel.

Hopefully they patch the optional mission objectives soon and clean up the UI a bit. Also for some reason the game doesn't work on my wifi, but my other games are fine. I know it's still in soft launch but the game is so good that I can't wait for the global release.

4. KakitaMike

KakitaMike Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 27, 2010
    Ohio
    Played this for a couple hours, and I'm not sure who the audience is supposed to be. If you like match-3, there are way better options (puzzle quest, gems of war, puzzle and dragons, etc) and if you like Magic, this doesn't really feel anything like a game of magic. To me it feels like adding an extra step in the match-3 formula to allow for more things to go wrong.

Also, this is my first dabble into other region downloading, but is a soft launch essentially a beta? The UI is really ugly and for lack of a better word, just feels cheap. I know it's being licensed, but I'm surprised Wotc would let something this unpolished slip out to the masses.

5. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Hey Mike. Yeah soft launch is pretty much like a wider ranged beta test. I'm sure they might have beta tested it in house some but the soft launch lets them give it to outsiders to try and find the errors and help them fix it before they go worldwide.
    As for your point about where this game sits. I like it as a hybrid. I'm a huge match 3 fan and used to be an avid MTG player so the meshing for me works great. Yeah they need to fix the UI especially when it comes to deck building but I think it'll get done before they launch.

6. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Yeah I agree! I hope they can get this gem polished before then too. I'm only sitting on 300k because it's hard for me to resist leveling up Chandra. I really want her to be level 50 but I don't think I'll have enough stones by the end of the game for that at this rate. I'm halfway through the first part of chapter 3 so we'll see. I did grab all the other PW just because I started getting some nasty cards for everyone else in all the packs I've opened. I think after I max Chandra or beat it I'll go and make other people's decks to clear the other missions. Idk we'll see. Don't want this to end though...

7. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Last fights give you around 100K stones (per fight).
    Replaying them you get only 5K...so 20 fights is 100K too.
    You will be so powerful you can even play watching a movie with minimal attention, if you really need those stones.

What I really want is playing against friends.

8. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    How bout we start talking about some of our favorite cards and deck startegies? My 2 favorites are Chandra and Nissa so far and Liliana next. Nissas pilgrimage is a green card that I love. It makes 3 gems green at the start of each turn. This causes big chain reactions sometimes and just dumps your hand on the board. For red I love the haste 3/2 firebeast thing. Also Chandra has some of the best removal in the 1 cost flame javelin. I love the 1 cost removal spells because you fill them and sit on them for when they are needed. Liliana has amazing removal spells as well but dont do double duty as player killers like Chandra.

Anyone that has played tcg or ccg knows that card advantage is king. Getting 2 for 1 effects that help you while hindering them is what snowballs games in your favor.

What are your fav cards for those who have opened lots of packs?

9. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    I actually have played Chandra since I could get her. I played Nissa through the first Chapter then fell in love with the red head!!! I've got her to level 46 :) Her 2nd hero power does 2 damage to a minion at level 26. At level 41 it does 3 damage so I actually dropped the 1 cost 3 damage spell after level 26. She also has a lot of removals as you know. So these are some of the cards I'm running:

Acolyte of the Inferno - Common
    Cost 3
    3/1 Renown 1 (When you hit a champion is gets +1/+1)
    Whenever he gets blocked he deals 2 damage to that creature

Abbot of Keral Keep - Rare
    Cost 9
    2/1
    whenever he enters the battlefield draw a card, it costs 3 less
    whenever he enters the battlefield destroy 1 block of 3x3 gems (sets up some nasty cascades

Scab-Clan Beserker
    Cost 8 Haste and Berserker
    2/2 Renown 1
    whenever your enemy casts a spell or support deal 2 damage to them

Infectious Bloodlust
    Spell cost 4
    Give +2/+1 and Haste to target creature (permanent)

Sigil of Valor
    Support cost 9
    If you control 1 creature, give your first minion +3/+3
    "2 creatures" give +2/+2
    "3 creatures" give +1/+1
    I like this one because if they do start clearing your board then your board gets stronger

Ravaging Blaze
    Spell Cost 4
    Deal 4 damage to creature, If there are 8 red gems or more then deal 4 to opponent too

Then I run another mana support, another common creature, the red 3/2 haste dude, and Titans Strength

That's my deck ;)

I also got some pretty cool cards for the other Planewalkers but haven't really messed with them yet since I've been having too much fun with her

10. Excko

Excko New Member

Dec 7, 2013
    #90 Excko, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    Hi,

I ran into a weird issue. I got a mythic rare when opening a pack, but it isn't in any of my planewalker's inventory. Any idea where it went?

Thanks!

Edit : Nevermind, I figured it out.

11. Montanx

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Holy crud the hero powers change as you level up?! I need to get leveling then.

12. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    #92 aconfusedkender, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    Yeah the little squares to the right of them are the levels. My first ability started at doing 2 to hero now it does 3 and same for the minion one too. It gets quite expensive at my level to level her up though hahaha over 300k a level

EDIT: well...I got Chandra to level 50 and it looks like that's the Maximus. I was kinda hoping you could go past but didn't really expect it. She's pretty beastly if I haven't mentioned that before (; I'm 4 levels from the end of the campaign and I've dumped all my stones in her except for buying all the PW and getting 2 of them to level 11

13. buzznaut

buzznaut Active Member

Sep 25, 2013
    I cannot understand how some of you are getting past the last few battles in the first story chapter. I am on the "mizzium meddler" and he just brings out way more powerful minions than I can and after more then 10-15 attempts I am no closer to beating himr. I can't level up my planeswaller anymore because I don't have enough stones (level 13? Nissa). How did any of you accomplish this?

14. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    It took me 6 tries to beat the very first battle after the tutorial. It wasn't even fun. Just a slog.

15. buzznaut

buzznaut Active Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Yeah. I was really liking this game but I think it's paywall and grind are completely exposed at this point. Gameplay ceases to be fun once you just need to rely on compete luck or on investment of money . Think I'm done for now . Maybe I'll check it out again after worldwide launch.

16. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Hahhaha how can you say that? I've beaten the game on a foreign account so I can't even spend money. I've played through all the chapters and the heroic adventures and have a level 50 Chandra.

What exactly got exposed then? Or what investment are you talking about?

17. buzznaut

buzznaut Active Member

Sep 25, 2013
    I am saying that the only way past the point In the game where I am at is by sheer persistence and hoping for a completely lucky series of events to occur or pay for progress (when that becomes enabled). I agree that you pay for nothing right now and that it is possible to get past certain points without paying

18. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Well do you have enough to buy Chandra? If so get her. Her starting deck is pretty strong. If not Nissa will do just fine. I think all who have gotten past it have beaten it with Nissa. I might have done it with Chandra. I don't remember. I will say that it gets pretty easy after the first chapter for whatever reason. Just keep at it and good luck bud!

19. Montanx

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Such a great game but stage rewards not acivating and really wonky difficulty need to be fixed. Basically the first set of stages is the toughest then these last 3 sets have been absurdly easy. Like no enemy even casts a creature sometimes at all and you just roll through. For those stuck on the first missions, just keep trying a few dif planes walkers. If Nissan fails try Chandra. They are dead easy to unlock all. Just save gold to get the 4 pack and open some cards. Level up your walkers you like, the hp really helps.
    There's nothing even remotely resembling a paywall or grind of any kind.

20. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Jace is very peculiar. He is certainly powerful. Perhaps more so than Nissa. But since he can only have three beasties in his deck, and the control aspects of his deck composition are based around unsummons and mana drain, it is entirely possible to play 15+ turns without either players fielding a single creature.

I've yet to loose a single game with him. But the matches go on for something that in match 3 approaches infinity.

/signed. And seeing as quite a few players have finished the campaign on foreign iTunes accounts (no IAP purchases), we have something that even approaches empirical certainty in this ;)