Universal Magic: the Gathering - Puzzle Quest (by D3PA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    thanks for the advice guys!

2. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Yeah...but it will be a non issue with real opponents hopefully.
    Not that I'm complaining.
    Sometimes (today for me...not sure if it was just a coincidence or they tweaked something remotely) the AI is really great tough...destroying my creatures and support in a consistent manner and refraining to cast some spells if not useful (I can see the AI having those spells ready but not casting them....only to cast a creature some turns later and unleashing hell on me).
    When it happens, it's great...but it was very seldom till now....can't wait to see later when I'll have some time to play if it's a consistent thing or not.

3. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    hey Pitta did you say there was an update earlier? Since I DL from a foreign appstore I won't get a notification unless I log back into that one so I might not even know.

Thanks! BTW what level is your Nissa?

4. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    No update from the AppStore as far as I can tell.
    As the game connect to their servers, many infos are stored there.
    I've noticed twice during the week end the app downloaded new assets and stuff (I had very slow internet so I could notice...generally it connects super fast).
    In the info panel somewhere there are the version numbers (app, server and data).
    Those numbers changed this morning (at least the server...now it shows 1.0.0).

That's why I supposed they started tweaking things.

My Nissa is level 26 or 27.
    I could level her up to 50 already I think (I have 2.5 millions of stones) and then some....but I do not feel the pressure right now...I'll do only if necessary.
    I'm waiting for the worldwide launch to decide which planes walker I prefer.
    Actually I love Nissa, but I opened a TON of cards for Chandra and the Necromancer...so I'm still on the fence.

Generally I prefer creatures and support over spells.

5. JonnyRo1

JonnyRo1 Active Member

Jun 14, 2013
    Just a tip. You can see all of the planewalkers level 50 potential in the heroic encounters. Just enter the battle and click the picture of them and see their stats :)

6. Gabriel.Voyager

Gabriel.Voyager Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    You are welcome :)

7. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    This is a really great and deep match game, very impressed. What are some tips and tricks? Im finding it to be pretty tough, dying alot on the first chapter. I know how to play and even played competetive tournament MTG for a few years, but its hard to match your stones sometimes.

8. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Don't forget to deactivate your spells/support stuff if you don't want to use it. Just click on the icon in the top right corner and it'll do it. The first chapter is by far the hardest so far. I'm halfway through chapter 2 and I've beaten 3 out of 5 of the heroics. Not quite as far as Pitta but I'm getting there. Just keep retrying it when you lose. The card draw is usually the difference. I will get openers where I have nothing to play for 4 turns sometimes. As a MTG player myself I wish there was a mulligan option for your openers :)

9. PsYcHoNoVa

PsYcHoNoVa Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2013
    
    I love Match-3 games. This one looks good. Will it have Game Center Achievements?

10. Isotope-X

Isotope-X Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    OK, so I have a question that's perhaps incredibly stupid. Several of the early encounters have special objectives along the line of "Win this encounter X times." For example, the first encounter is 2 times, the encounter with Kothophed is 5. I've beaten the Heavy Infantry encounter many more than 2 times, and beat Kothophed 7 times in a row, and didn't get the objective. On the other hand, I beat the Boggart Brute once and got the objective reward for winning it 5 times. Any ideas?

11. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    As we stated earlier in the thread these are some of the kinks they are working on and they have been made aware. They wrote me back saying that they hope to have them all addressed in the next patch. You will also never "complete" any of the flying quests either. At least it hasn't for me.

12. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    So....completed everything.
    You earn some killer cards in last fights...I tweaked my deck once again.
    The fight against Chandra was the best one.
    Many could be great, but too many opponents don't summon enough creatures, or at all.
    Relaying only on spells can't do the trick when you have more than 25 HP.

Awesome game...the worldwide launch and PVP can't come soon enough.

13. EroNasubi

EroNasubi Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    At the start of the battle you can pause and choose restart. There seems to be no penalties doing so. This is unlimited Mulligan, isn’t?

14. UScr00ge

UScr00ge Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Since it looks like our progress will sync with Facebook and therefore carry over to the US version, I really want to buy that starter pack. Unfortunately, I haven't found any vendor online that sells New Zealand iTunes cards that also take PayPal :(

15. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    I wouldn't waste your money just yet bud. You get plenty of currency just by playing. I'd save your money for when it comes to your hometown buddy. That's my .06 (;

I just bought the 600 gold 14 pack thing with in game currency so they hand it out quite nice. I've also bought all of the planes walkers and I have leveled up Chandra to level 40

16. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I watched some gameplay yesterday and am perplexed by something. It appears that the mana required to activate cards isn't color-based, yet it is in MtG and they have the various colored stones like any other match-3, so why not? Or am I confused?

17. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    The spells are colorless but you can only have same colors as the planes walker in the deck. So for example Chandra can only include cards that have red in them. The dif colors give mana bonuses or penalties. So red mana will give more while enemy colors will give less.

18. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    That and if you match say 3 red and your PW is chandra, you get +1 mana from the match so equivalent to a 4 match.

Then another two colours (can't rmeember exact two) are equal to +0 mana for a match.

I know right but....
    The remaining colour(s) give you -1 for matching.

Boom that's the true answer right thar

19. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Yes this is different from proper Magic.
    Your planes walker can have only certain cards in his deck (with color affinity) and mana acquired from gem matching is 'colorless'.
    You do get bonuses and penalties matching different colors tough.
    Like my Nissa get 5 Mana if I match 3 green gems, and only 2 if I match 3 blue gems.
    Also, some abilities rely on how many gems of certain colors are actually present in the board (like...said creature that costs little mana to cast and has huge 8/8 stats...attacks only if there are 8 blue gems in the board....so you will want use it only in combination with blue gem filling board spells).

It's a streamlined version fo proper Magic, but I must say it works really well when you have a customized deck and you are fighting against an opponent with many HP...so you have time to build your board.
    When the opponent does the same, the game really really shines.

20. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    What I gripe against is the fact that you share the same puzzle pool with the opponent, so you can't think ahead with a plan, rather you can only think ahead about how not to benefit the opponent. Not big on that. Maybe that's a puzzle quest thing, dunno, never been into it.