Universal Magic: the Gathering - Puzzle Quest (by D3PA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Nov 21, 2015.

1. romiem

romiem Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2014
    Agree with poster above regarding objectives that IMHO are not very fair or interesting.

One other gripe I have is that once you have exhausted the main story, there is no way to earn a reasonable amount of credits. Winning an online battle (which doesn't seem very online to me as the opponent plays immediately which leads to me believe it is actually the CPU) only yields 50 credits.

2. ddubois

ddubois Member

Aug 9, 2011
    What is the "Menace" keyword?

3. patch732

patch732 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2010
    U.S.
    I think it bypasses "defenders" when attacking.

4. Relharn

Relharn Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    After logging on and collecting the daily reward every day in January, I finally connect to get the Fat Pack reward and find the Daily Reward is broken and I get nothing. :-(

Now it's Feb 1, it currently shows 250 crystals (or whatever those yellow things are) as the daily reward but it can't be collected, the end of month reward is blank, and the See More button doesn't work. I'm guessing it's not just me?

5. PCKid

PCKid Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Game Player
    Western Australia
    Just getting connection error when logging in

6. andreadeda

andreadeda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Same happened to me and doesn't seem to be solved today...

7. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I just downloaded the update. Fixes the daily rewards and lots of other things and also grants you 5000 runes and a Fat Pack to make up for the down time. I just got a load of new cards for my inconvenience.

8. Relharn

Relharn Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Yes, the new update is nice. The bonus runes and cards were a generous touch.

My only minor complaint now is that twice in the last four or five story matches, after winning the game, it's acted like I quit and has given me no win, no reward, and I suffered quitting damage. Somewhat frustrating.

9. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Does anyone know if there is a Planeswalker "level list" anywhere? ie what unlocks and when with each planeswalker? Would be nice to know where to put my runes (obviously after unlocking the 3 main skills for each planeswalker).

I'm enjoying this one. It isn't groundbreaking by any stretch but it's the game I've found myself coming back to most over the last week or two.

10. Caminagetcha

Caminagetcha Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Anyone else with problems connecting with fb? Mine doesn't connect gets an error and I can sync my progress :(

11. drdreh

drdreh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Any other game like this?

12. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    Wow it seems like the new update today broke it for me because no matter what I select it reloads and takes me back to the Hub. Can't do anything!

13. gonif

gonif Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Apparently, the two new planeswalkers are only available as IAP. Seems awfully lame, assuming I haven't misjudged the situation.

14. forsakenxe

forsakenxe Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Hi guys,

Any more impressions after all these updates? Thinking about jumping in (way too late but anyways :D). Would love some impressions, if it's worth it. Are these IAP-Planeswalkers still only behind IAPs?

15. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Playing it now since the update and I can't seem to change planewalkers in story mode don't recall this being a problem before when I played it
    I only have two just started over again

16. Rocco SE

Rocco SE Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    #216 Rocco SE, Mar 1, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
    Why did it take me so many years to really dig into this gem? The atrocity called Puzzle Quest 3 made me redownload the Magic version. Back in the days when I first tried it, I was completely unfamiliar with Magic: The Gathering. So, I didn‘t get all the card mechanics and deleted it rather quickly. No, having played Arena for a bit (still too overwhelming for me), I just tried again and everything just clicked. And this game appeals to me A LOT more than Arena, since decks only contain 10 cards, which makes building decks more of a breeze than a chore.

Seriously, I wished I would have started earlier. Playing all day and cannot put it down. I also love that there‘s so much PvE content (another thing I was personally missing in Arena).

So, to quote the famous saying, better late then never. I‘m super happy to finally have given Magic: Puzzle Quest a proper go. This one wont leave my device anytime soon.

And again: Puzzle Quest 3 is an atrocity in my eyes. An ugly, landscape only matching game that makes you spend way more time in the menues than on its tiny play fields. Everything I hate about free-to-play mobile games slapped on one of its former strongest brands. Yes, Magic offers most of the free-to-play shenanigans as well, yet, I‘m spending most of my time in the stunning and varied matches, instead of managing sh*t.

andreadeda likes this.
  17. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Wow, I'm glad you bumped this. I honestly thought this was one of the PQ spin-offs that was pulled a long time ago. Looks like it's actually the exact opposite and this has been getting constant updates forever. Probably haven't played this one since it first came out so I want to give it another go now.

18. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    So is this playable without all the crazy IAPs?

19. Rocco SE

Rocco SE Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    Absolutely. I‘m normally the first one quickly deleting (or never even installing) the typical free-to-play affair. So far, I could absolutely ignore all the IAP stuff, and was still playing all day. Had to force myself to put the phone aside for a while. I‘m enjoying this game way too much. The mix of mechanics is - in my eyes - done absolutely brilliant.

anthony78 likes this.