Universal Magic: the Gathering - Puzzle Quest (by D3PA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Nov 21, 2015.

1. andreadeda

andreadeda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
    The game is fun but i think some things are left unexplained; i used to play Magic around 20 years ago when it first came out so i can figure some things out by myself but still...
    for example i have a card with "renown:1" but no explanation what that means.
    I didn't see an explanation on the tutorial about flying creatures either (although i can figure that out by myself); i noticed that some defenders have a bow and arrow icon instead of tower, i guess they can defend against flying creatures.
    what about other abilities like first strike, do they have their specific icon?

2. dalbertson

dalbertson Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    When you are in an actual match, you can tap on one of your cards to enlarge it, then tap on any of the icons to get a description of what it does. Its not much, and sometimes even the description leaves a lot unsaid but its better then nothing.

3. kraze ivan

kraze ivan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2012
    How do you get different Planeswalkers? Thanks.

4. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Buy from planeswalker tab with regular game currency.

5. buzznaut

buzznaut Active Member

Sep 25, 2013
    After updating game today I've lost all my progress-- open the app and I start from the very beginning . Anyone else experience this?

6. traderjose

traderjose Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Yup, same.

7. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    That sucks, guys. No lost progress here. Did you have fb login and need to redo that? I did not use fb login...maybe I should.

Yeah, a lot is left unexplained. As for renown, the first time the unit attacks a planeswalker it wil gain +x/+x, so for renown 6, +6/+6.

Too bad that when you tap an enemy card like this, the text runs way off the screen...at least on my air 2.

8. buzznaut

buzznaut Active Member

Sep 25, 2013
    I didn't use FB login. Maybe I should have. Probably going to delete as I'll never be able to grind back to where I was given much of my progress was gained during the soft launch.

9. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Did you try contacting support? That might be able to do a rollback if you give them your UID (both that and the support button at the bottom of the options screen).

10. buzznaut

buzznaut Active Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Thanks Misguided. I will try that.

11. Caminagetcha

Caminagetcha Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    They should grant the option for multi colored decks (2 colors at least) and the ability to trade and sell cards to others players, maybe something like mabonogi duel (since there isn't nothing we can do right now with repeated cards) and this would be the best match3 game for me. Already with a max lvl planeswalker, now thinking of the next to level up

12. kraze ivan

kraze ivan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2012
    Out of curiosity, has anyone purchased the starter pack on the featured section of the vault? 1500+200 gets what level of boosters? Thanks.

13. gonif

gonif Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    No, I never found a definitive answer. Claiming the daily reward packs will change the Vault pack to CLAIM, but the packs I purchased did not do this. Maybe it's been fixed since then. I wouldn't know as I haven't tried it again.

I suspect the packs that weren't opened actually were and the cards are already in inventory. I simply missed the chance to "open" the pack. I have no real evidence to support this, and the process needs to be fixed regardless.

14. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    This game makes no sense. My creatures will be hitting the opponent each turn, then all of the sudden start hitting the opponent's creatures instead. My opponent will still have the same creatures out as previous turns, and none of them have defender, so there shouldn't be any reason for my creatures to change behaviors.

Also, my opponent's creatures will start hitting my creatures instead of me, even my creatures without defender.

What really makes it frustrating is that this always starts when I am close to winning a battle. With only 2 or 3 turns needed to finish off my opponent, my creatures decide to stop hitting the opponent and just kill themselves on my opponent's creatures.

I'm about to delete this p.o.s., but I'm hoping someone can explain something I'm missing and that this is all just user error, rather than the game sucking.

15. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    are you triggering berserker somehow? That will cause units to prefer attacking features if they can.

16. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Wait, berserker does that? I always thought berserker just forced the creature had to attack every turn (if it was able). I don't see why creatures would change their targeting preferences because of it.

But I guess that's what they had to do to make berserker actually do something in this game, since creatures already attack every turn if they are able.

Ok, that's likely the problem, then. Good to know it was a lack of understanding on my part and not a problem with the game itself.

Time to go check my deck for berserker cards, now. I think I have one support card that has it.

17. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Yeah, I don't play MtG but there was some stuff I know had my son scratching his head (I think there may be some stuff with the reach mechanics that differs, and possibly haste as well). The game could really use a glossary with all the various modifiers listed.

18. AndrewPM

AndrewPM Member

Mar 21, 2014
    Being able to press and hold the status effects icons would handle this nicely.

I'm liking the game, but it's surprisingly rough in places.

19. AndrewPM

AndrewPM Member

Mar 21, 2014
    Depends on how you choose to spend your booty, but crystals buy the 5 card packs.

20. ddubois

ddubois Member

Aug 9, 2011
    I wouldn't say where I am at represents a "pay wall", per se, but the amount of cards I've gotten for the amount of time I've spent grinding does not feel proportionate. After about 3 days of pretty frequent play, I've opened about half a dozen cheapo packs, and levelled up my planeswalkers to level 2 Nissa, level 16 Gideon, and level 8 Chandra.

I'm having a heck of a time proceeding at this point. Chapter One, Part 2, Level 4 against Nissa, Vastwood Seer is very hard, but what's even more frustrating is when I look back at the previous levels, they have some extremely difficult third objectives, and I don't have much in the way of influx of new resources, other than 50 triangles at a time. I've got 9 levels in Chapter One, Part 1 in which I can't fully clear because of the 3rd objective. It's really hard to, for instance, lose 6 of my creatures, or cast 8 spells, or lose 35 life, before "accidentally" beating the opposing AI. I've jumped through all kinds of hoops trying to hurt my own progress by swapping partially mana-completed creatures to the bottom of the list, or toggling them off completely, but simply drawing enough of the particular type of card (let alone casting them) before the game is over seems like such an absurdly remote possibility. Normally in this sort of game, I would expect to have enough cards in my collection to be able to effectively create or manipulate a deck such that it is teched out to hit a specific goal like that, but with the limited deck construction ruleset this game has and the constraints on how many of what type I am limited to, along with my general lack of cards, I have very very little deck construction options to clear those objectives. This "feels" much worse than my ability to succeed when trying to beat a specialized Hearthstone adventure. I do have some hope that maybe if I can get my Chandra up to open her second power, I can start shooting my own one-toughness guys to extend the length of the game, but I'm not sure that even is allowed.

I've been saving all my crystals except those 20, and I'm barely halfway to the 600 goal I have in order to get to the big box. Progress and card acquisition is just too slow, IMHO, especially with no crafting system. After a $50 investment and a couple months of hardcore grinding Hearthstone arenas, and I was able to build any one constructed deck I wanted.