Magic Duels: Origins

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Talbs, Jul 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Magic Duels: Origins will be coming to iOS this month.
    Word has it it will come to ipad first...and...wait for it...iPhone soon after.

Cannot contain my delight! First time ever it will be on iPhone.
    I believe it when I see it though. I hope my source is correct.

And I don't know how this doesn't have a thread already. (Ok maybe because there's a new iteration every year, but this one is apparently putting an end to that).

2. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    No, Magic Duels Origins is coming only to iPad. Do you have a source for iphone?

3. Tyvan

Tyvan Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Georgia
    At the end of this video the dev says "I am happy to tell you it is something we are working on"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kph8JpFt5FU

4. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
  5. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    In the video above posted by tyvan the dev said something like "we know that our fans really really want an iPhone version, and it's something we're working on, and I've seen the beta version, and it's looking great"

Yeh yeh!! Pumped for the iPhone.

6. nkarafo

Mar 2, 2011
    Fantastic news !!!!
    If it will be released for iPhone, I will easily delete Hearthstone which requires all the time internet connection and it's too light and not so complex like Magic !

7. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #8 Ayjona, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    Seeing as the iOS versions of Duels (and perhaps the entire notion of bringing a full, free-to-play Magic experience into digiality) are probably a response to Hearthstone's explosive popularity and the rise of digital TCGs (and a desire to bring MtG into a new sustainable paradigm, which apparently has already paid off, what with 25% of the player base coming to the paper version from the Duels games), I actually harboured quite high hopes that the game would hit iPhone eventually. But I also harboured worries it would not.

(And previous to the success of Hearthstone on iPhone, I had all but given up on reclaiming my first childhood nerd fantasy on my pocket device, even though I have grumbled about the absence of a full digital port of Magic for the iPhone almost since the inception of the App Store, and loudly proclaimed what a brilliant move it would be.)

I never imagined the UI would be a hard limitation. We've seen SO many genres, once-proclaimed unfeasible conversions, and desktop-specific games ported to the platform with great success, among them simplistic CCGs like Hearthstone (and even more so, the lane battlers), as well as truly complex card games like Assassin's Creed Recollection.

I did, however, think the typical match length of a normal face-to-face game of MtG might be highly restrictive to the pocket format (all the while secretly hoping they'd go "fudge it, we'll port anyways, and people will happily play and spend in SPITE of any inconvenience"). And knowing how conservative many of board/conflict/card game companies still are in cramming their mechanics, cardboard boxes and little tiles and tokens into our devices, this seemed as good a reason as any to deny us a digital version of one of the world’s greatest games.

Fears unfounded.

And I think this might be the most exciting product news in the history or iOS gaming.

EDIT: Read this stuff, and watch this while it is still on!

8. nkarafo

Mar 2, 2011
    #9 nkarafo, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    I agree. I have dreamed a game like this since Nintendo DS era ! I have emailed Wizards of the Coast to port a game to that system which had a touch screen and it was revolutionary back then! I hadn't received any reply from them and the only game that was somehow similar was Yu-gi-oh which was very simple. iPhone was not even created back then. So, this time has eventually came TODAY which is OUT !!!
    My most replayable game is Orions 2 in iphone which is simple but very very good for OFFLINE game duels with CPU for short duration with simple UI. I started with Orions 1 in windows mobile waaaay back in 2007.
    :):)