Universal Magic Duels (by Wizards of the Coast)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 8, 2015.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So when exactly are daily quests refreshed? It has now been about 48 hours without any of my 3 free quest slots refilling.

2. romiem

romiem Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2014
    Does anyone know what happens if an opponent in versus mode leaves the game, is replaced by the AI and you end up losing the match?

A few times, opponents have bailed on a failed mulligan, or halfway through if I'm dominating the game.

It's very frustrating to have to play out the rest of the match. If an opponent decides to ragequit, then the remaining victorious player should automatically win the game, and be given a choice of whether they want to continue the game, at no risk to gold or ranking.

3. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Ugh! They still have the multiplayer games setup like that? That was the main reason I stopped playing online duels in the previous ones.

Every single online game I played in which I was winning ended up turning into a match against the AI, because people always quit once they saw how the match was going. The only matches that I ever finished against another actual player were the ones I lost.

Sad to hear it's still like this in this version. Thanks for the heads up, though. Now I know not to even bother with online matches.

4. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    I'm having trouble when trying to select a specific land to destroy.
    I tried the land browser, but it makes the spell unresponsive and I need to cancel it for it to work.
    At the moment, I just have to click the lands on the main screen, making it pretty much impossible to select the right land.

It's the acid-moss spell btw.

5. kleerkoat

kleerkoat Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    is it. working on IOS 9 beta yet? every since installing it I can't get past the splash screen.

6. romiem

romiem Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2014
    Anyone else having server connection issues today? I've lost 6 matches worth of gold on solo Hard mode already- half a booster pack worth of gold!

Not impressed.

7. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    So does anyone have any good deck ideas, or anywhere I would get one from? I can piece together a semi respectable Hearthstone deck but this is a whole new level of complexity.

8. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    I started up the game & a message said there was an error so did I want Local or Cloud data. Well, I checked my cloud & there was data. I know it doesn't have cloud save but...I hit cloud. Now the game acts like i haven't played any solo battles or created s deck. I also lost the deck I created...not sure about cards! Come on, what's the deal?! Anybody have some input? How about a developer...??? Too many problems making this launch very poor!

9. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So how are these community quests really supposed to work? The goal for the first one was more than met in the time allotted but now when I logged in I see it's the same goal with the timer reset and I'm not 40 gold richer. Did anyone win anything form that first one? Could you only profit from it if you logged in the exact minute the timer ran out?

10. Wizard_Mike

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    And this is the reason I don't feel comfortable spending money on the game. I worry about potential problems like this.

In previous years, I always spent the cash for the full-version unlock, because I was just buying the game. This version is completely free, with the hopes that players will drop cash to get more card packs. I'm cool with that move, and would happily spend cash for more boosters. I've dropped over $200 in Hearthstone at least. But I don't have to worry about a save file being corrupted, my phone crashing or getting lost, or anything else making me losing any of my investment in Hearthstone, because it's all handled by Blizzard.

I just don't feel comfortable spending money on consumable IAPs if I could lose it all due to one issue or another, which is why this will be the first Duels game on iOS that I won't be spending a single dime on. Not until they release expansions that you have to pay to unlock, at least.

It's a shame, really, because they made so many changes to try and match Hearthstone's financial success, but they really missed the mark in a huge way.

11. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Anyone have any idea how to beat Lilianas final story quest ? It's almost impossible it seems

12. EroNasubi

EroNasubi Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    #172 EroNasubi, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    Yes, this is one of the most difficult story quest of all. After you beat this one, the rest are so easy.
    For this story quest, you need a lot of luck. The general idea is to destroy one of the opponent’s strongest creature and then summon it back under your control.

By the way, I have finished all story quests, and have played many many hours to earn coins to unlock new cards and enhance my decks.

It was fun, until about a week ago, my game profile, coins, unlocked cards stored in their server was deleted and replaced with fresh account. All my unlock cards including rare legendary planewalker card are gone!!! It happened when I launched the game and was asked to choose between local data vs icloud version. I chose icloud because I played on both ipad and iphone and icloud syncing worked for me before.

I contacted their customer support via email but they are very slow in responding my case. Until today, close to one week after I reported my case, I still cannot get back my coins and most importantly, my unlocked cards, each one earned so hard by spending so much time.
    I am very disappointed with this to the point that I am considering to switch to hearthstone instead. Unfortunately, after playing hearthstone a few rounds, I dislike it very much. But, I really losing faith in magic and reluctant to start building up my decks again.. Who know when they will delete our profile again. Sucks.

13. RLennon

RLennon Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2013
    I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this bug. When playing the fourth Chandra duel in story mode, each time the opponent casts Oppresive Ray, the game crashes. When I enter my next attack phase, I cannot attack...period. I can't pay for Oppressive Ray, the game won't let me. It won't let me attack with any creature. It even wont let me skip attacking. I am stuck, and have to concede the duel. Kinda ironic that finishing Chandra's story is the social quest, and the game won't let me do it.

Anyone else experience this? I love MtG. But, I can't play versus real people because people drop out or take too long. Now, I can't complete story mode. I am running out of positive things to say about Magic Duels. I hope an update comes to fix this.

Rob

14. Wizard_Mike

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    And this is exactly why I haven't spent much time in this game, and (more importantly to the devs) have absolutely zero desire to spend any money on it.

15. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Update out

16. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I think many of us (hoping to be) invested in Duels would rather have a universal account system with reliable cloud saves, cross-platform play, and a stable and smooth client. Basically Hearthstone, but with Magic's mechanics. (Or at least without Hearthstone's ;) )

But the amount of (free!) content here is very nice indeed, and brings variety out the nose!

17. gonif

gonif Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    <deleted>

18. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    #178 ShinHadoukin, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    The server has not worked since the update....what gives...???

19. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Am I crazy or are there not all the zandikar cards available in the iOS version ?

20. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Flaky servers paired with this current iOS 9 breaking Game Center for many of us, I've now come to realize this, at least as things stand at the moment, is a much better game to play over Steam on the PC.