Universal Magic Duels (by Wizards of the Coast)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Cougarcat

Cougarcat Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    They post updates on reddit and Twitter. Apparently it's server maintenance. They may be fixing the gold cap bug too.

2. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    They should tell us through the game if it's maintenance. Plus, just completed a campaign & it says it won't record it b/c I'm offline. So what, no coins or completion? I thought you could play offline, but not keep up with what you do? Well, that really isn't playing offline.

3. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    When you fail to connect online it clearly states that you won't earn coins and the like (forget the wording).
    Really, offline mode is for duels against the AI. That's good enough for me.
    The only other TCG type game that I know of that does this better is shadow era, which I think somehow tracks your coin earnings while offline, and awards them once your reconnect..I think. Been a while since I played that.
    Offline...pretty much stick to single duels or two headed giant AI duels.

4. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    No problem. AI duels offline is fine but I didn't know the campaign wasn't offline. I think the game should say, progress will not be saved, when you click on a campaign while offline. I just had a big win playing the campaign, then it said it isn't recording my progress so I said, well crap.

5. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I have had my rant on HS, so I am not repeating.

Yep, I am a newbie of MtG (for how many years? 15 may be), but I understand the need of timers and all the buttons et al. I just wish the UI could be more responsive. You need to think about things before you make any move, which is good to my taste. And since MtG still has a huge player base, I am not worried about the future of MD (as I mentioned before)

6. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Can you guys start another thread about comparing online tcgs? I'm much more intrested in what cards are in this one and what decks people are building and suggestions on how the app can improve in itself rather than mimic something else.

One thing I wish this would have amongst other games is a way for you trade cards with your friends. Feel like the TRADING card game element gets left behind everytime.

7. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Yeah, these digital versions are basically CCGs, rather than TCGs. I think, from a business model standpoint, the ability to trade cards would reduce a lot of their income. Plus adding a trading feature would be a bunch of extra work.

Sucks for us players, but business is business, so I can understand why they don't put it in.

8. mindmagicgames

mindmagicgames Active Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Game Developer
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I cannot get enough of Magic the Gatgering games. I lost sleep playing this one!

9. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Can anyone tell me what this even means in the campaign?
    Unlike previous DoTP games, we would get card rewards after each campaign match. We could then add them to our deck and withdraw other cards if we wanted, in a slightly crippled deck editor.
    So far in the campaign for me I see no way of editing the deck. Instead I just get that "notification" after every match. Maybe I'm not far enough?
    But what does that screen even mean!?

Attached Files:

10. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    It means cards have been added to that particular Planeswalker's story deck (and possibly that card composition has been altered beyond those cards as well, to accomodate the principles these cards add to the deck).

There is no editing of campaign decks. But then, each campaign is only five battles long, and you won't be using that campaign deck beyond that (unless you replay the campaign).

And more importantly, having full deck editing and the whole ruleset of MtG at our tipsy fingers for both solo* and online play kinda makes up for the limitations of the story mode, ey? ;)

* The touted randomization and near-unlimited number of AI-built decks really works, by the way. No more playing the same 18 Hearthstone decks over and over. Each game is unique, and so far, each AI deck I've faced have had at least a decent composition, and no broken or silly combinations.

11. scape211

scape211 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Graphic Designer
    Has everyone be able to play all campaign stories? So far I've only gone through the first campaign (white) and it didn't unlock the others. Do I need to do more skill quests or something to unlock the rest or will they unlock overtime?

12. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While no Magic pro myself, I am enjoying the random deck creation when playing the AI. Not just that they're decent decks played competently by the AI, but unlike DotP '15, the AI is sticking to the same cards available to you the player. The only exception being that many of the cards used in the story/campaign duels, both by you and against you, may not yet be accessible to eventually add into your own decks.

I also really love the new way the archetype wizard works in helping you create decks. It isn't based on some exact set of cards as much as taking your current best cards available to fulfill different roles that it will walk you through. Like when having the wizard help you create the green/red Hordes of Thunder deck, it tells you that it needs some of your biggest green beasts in one part of the creation and then asks you to include your best red damaging instants, and thus dynamically creates it from your current library. :D

13. romiem

romiem Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2014
    #153 romiem, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    Would just like to add my voice to those currently enjoying the game and I'm sure it will be even better once the bugs regarding reconnecting from offline are sorted.

That said, I think the UI could do with a bit of polishing. My (personal) gripes are:

1. I personally feel the interface to be very sluggish when dragging cards or watching the opponents card slide into place as snails pace.

2. I feel like cards should 'snap' to place when dragging into a hotspot area.

3. Anti-aliasing seems of poor quality (look at the jagged edges of cards) and means you have to zoom in to almost all cards to make out a few details that should be visible from zoomed out view. I'm on an iPhone 6.

4. When cards are moving, they sometimes leave a black blocky trail, which looks like a graphical glitch.

14. nijoos

nijoos Member

Oct 3, 2013
    Can anyone advise me with regards to the optimal way to earn gold/rewards on a daily basis for MD?

For e.g.

For HS, take a new quest daily and do a free swap to possibly get a higher reward quest. Ensure that you complete quests at a rate that allows you to take the added quest daily.

For Solforge, get the log-in reward daily and win 3 matches to get the 1st and 3rd match rewards.

So...how does it work here?

15. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #155 Ayjona, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    I think Wizards just resolved a few bugs, server-side, and possibly awarded players some compensation. I just jumped up by 350-400 gold.

Yep, there it is. Coin cap doubled as well. New subreddit as well, and posts directly from developers. Nice. There's our Duels home-away-from-home.

This kind of response and responsiveness, verbal as well as mechanical, bodes well for the future of Duels, methinks.

Much (if not exactly) like the HS principle (always have room for a new daily, plus cycle one low-reward or otherwise undesirable quest per day), with the added bonus of always putting in a little work towards the currently available community quest (equivalent of Infinity Blade's Clash Mobs).

16. scape211

scape211 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Graphic Designer
    ah this makes sense. I was wondering why after i completed a story mode section my gold jumped up so high. None of the achievements from battle made sense to warrant the jump, but this obviously does :)

17. symptomac

symptomac Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 23, 2012
    I am really liking the gameplay but have been unable to connect to server ever. Newest ipad ios 8.2. I've restarted the device, logged in and out of game center, and turned on and off magic duels. It has never connected and when i go to the options customer service button there is no customer id listed. Any advice? Thanks.

18. nijoos

nijoos Member

Oct 3, 2013
    Are there ways to earn booster packs directly in the game or can they only be bought via in-game gold?

Just want to make sure the best value for my gold is spending them on booster packs. I never bought a single booster pack in HS since you could always earn cards in other ways.

19. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Except for the tutorial campaign, they are all bought with gold. So spend the fudge away! ;)

20. hoodwinkedfool

hoodwinkedfool Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Ah man not compatible with 5c :(