Universal Magic Duels (by Wizards of the Coast)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 8, 2015.

1. SpikeGuy

SpikeGuy Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Overall I really like some of the tweaks they've done to the user interface but good Lord this tutorial is taking forever. I already know everything they've "taught me". So far the game has crashed on me twice and one time I could not select anything for well over a minute. iPad air running iOS 8.4.

2. fracturedorb

fracturedorb Member

Apr 16, 2015
    I can't fathom the reasoning for making this only work on the newest tablets and phones. It's a card game, the past 4 or so all ran on older ipads, there's no reason for this. Worse, the company that makes it, will make LESS money as people with older tablets can't even give them money if they wanted... Seems real dumb.

3. L0ck

L0ck Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    #83 L0ck, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    It's honest-to-God Magic on my honest-to-God phone, I'm in heaven. The lack of cross platform play is a shame...but then, like with most games, when I want to play against my friends I turn to my PC anyway. My phonegaming is pretty much all solo outside of Disc Drivin, and being out and about and getting in a match with some other random person without one of us having something come up seems like an iffy prospect to begin with.

Very happy with this.

e: Eli's article does make a good point about how the lack of permanence of purchased items due to no cross-platform is a downer. Makes me hesitant to put real money in...but hopefully I won't have to beyond a token 'thanks!' donation.

4. Gabriel.Voyager

Gabriel.Voyager Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    It's online game only like HS?

5. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Can't download the game. I used iPhone 5C and iPad 3. :(

6. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    No, you can play solo games offline.

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #87 Vovin, Jul 9, 2015
    I never seen a game on my iPhone 6 before... that is able to drain the battery faster than to recharge (while it is connected to an USB port) - this is crazy. According to my battery app, this game drains more than 7 mAh/min? o_O
    If you wanna compare, GPS takes 6 mAh/min and 3G takes 4 mAh/min, or Subway Surfers, which needs 5.52 mAh/min.
    Game crashes occassionally, especially when you just won a game, and by crashing you lose your progress.
    The worst thing is that it also disconnected from servers a few times, pushing the re-connect button doesn't always work. You need to quit to your homescreen and then go into the app again to make that function work again. But as soon as you leave the app, your progress isn't saved and you have to play the last game again.

8. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    The main BIG issue with this game in the iPhone version is that the UI will bleed your eyes after a while. In just an hour if you play non-stop, your eyes will start to see some weird stuff. There is too much information for a tiny screen! Even the casting cost is not quite visible. I have iPhone 6 but seriously I cannot play it properly. Imagine in iphone 5s... Double tapping all the time to zoom in / out is not a solution. They have to re-imagine the whole interface so that it can be playable. I have to admin that Blizzard done a great job porting HS to mobiles, it's more enjoyable than magic duels. The mana cost for example is quite visible and clear even if it is small in the right corner.

The other issue that it has been repeated in this forum is the non universal online server account with our stats. It could be the best if you could play offline sole games AND play online games in all the devices whenever you want but this is the second problem, following the first which is very practical.

We hope "Wizards of the Coast" will fix these two issues asap.

9. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Can someone explain to me the spell casting using Lands a little better. I am new to Magic for some reason I have not played it before did play D&D back in the day but thats been a while too. For sure I have been missing out a great card game and I'm liking it a lot, thanks
    hope my question makes sense. I had to skip that tutorial cuz I couldn't get anything to work w the spells. it kept saying unsummon and another message about a creature card. wish i hadnt skipped it so now just wanting to understand it so it doesnt bite me later.

10. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I'll try from my memory but you may need to hone in on a certain portion of that question because it's actually rather broad.

Quick summary
    Generally each turn you get to play one land unless that land or a spell you play triggers the ability to play more.
    When casting a spell, the casting cost is in the top right. It will show a circle for each type of mana required. Eg one black and one red circle means you need to "tap" one red land and one black land in order to cast it. If you have no lands available for tap then you can't....

Really need a more specific question for more than that.

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Just go into "Help & Options", then "Help", there's everything explained in Detail.

12. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Actually you helped w the exact part I was trying to get at. Super thanks. Part of being new to this game is learning to pay attention to the numbers in catching on to that.

13. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Ok that was one part now I have exact message for the part im not getting:
    Choose a creature to put into its owners hand. What does that mean once I get this I'm sure I've got the grasp. To those complaining about the skills quest sorry u hate it but it helps newcomers to the game and means more people will get to enjoy it and learn the game.

14. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    #94 Dailon80, Jul 9, 2015
    Update I need coffee it's morning here and I am stupid this morning I got it now I swear my brain just died a min haha
    Good To go thanks for those that responded Also I was not fully understanding the unsummon spell which is way cool you can take a players card off the table. Nice

15. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #95 Vovin, Jul 9, 2015
    Yeah, quite useful. Unsummon will simply put the target card back into the hand of its owner.
    Nice thing to get a big creature away for 1-2 turns and send your critters at the enemy.
    But Magic requires you to think around corners, sometimes 2 or 3 at once. How about unsummoning your own creature? Think about a creature that gives another creature +2/+2 or haste or whatever when it enters play. Now you unsummon this creature after the effect was triggered and have the same effect AGAIN when playing the card another time. Another example: Your enemy has put a -3/-3 counter (= enchanted it) on your beloved dragon or golem, making it a 2/2 creature. Sucks, right? Well, unsummon your creature and it goes to your hand, while the enchantment goes to the graveyard. Play your card again and you'll have a fresh, big monster. Possibilies are endless.
    I am playing Magic since 1994 and never stopped learning new things and figuring out new tactics.

16. scape211

scape211 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Graphic Designer
    I totally agree. Its crazy knowing Magic is the end all be all of card games, but Blizzard really put this to shame. Magic Duels feels slow, clunky, hard to read on smaller screens, and doesn't look too polished when compared to Hearthstone. I will still play it because I enjoy Magic and this is a good game, but its hard not to compare to HS on presentation especially in the phone arena. I am now starting to understand why Blizzard took sooooo long to make their iphone version.

17. nijoos

nijoos Member

Oct 3, 2013
    It makes me appreciate how user-friendly HS truly is. Magic may be the deeper game and I do enjoy deep CCGs but on a mobile, I can't help but think HS is gonna be my mainstay. I found Solforge interesting too but when once you have tried HS's UI, it's tough to tolerate anything subpar.

18. Lohengriehn

Lohengriehn Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    omg! omg! omg! absolutely fabulous! what a day!

19. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    #99 Dailon80, Jul 9, 2015
    Thanks Vovin for expanding my mind w those hints and helping to start thinking outside the box. I can see why you've been playing since 1994 I'm just curious as to why I haven't been too. I've been into RPGs since Zeldas on NES and FF etc and did play a little D&D in the early 90s. I even remember attending the Pokemon battles at the mall and stuff we used to do oh and role playing games we played for real etc. Thanks again and I don't care what anyone says this beats hearthstone in my opinion but I understand it depends what the person is looking for in their card battle game. This game is best played while plugged into your charger I have never seen a game drain a battery like this!! About 25% a battle it seems at least

20. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Sorry for all the messages still learning but how can I get past Harpies. It seems he always gets more cards than me and all out attacks and I can't really stop it. I'm sure my strategy of trying to keep up w his card amount by skipping attacks is not getting me anywhere cuz in the end he will have more and all out attack me until I'm on 0. And I swear he has better cards but I'm sure that's he rub he has The better cards now beat him maybe my cards are better than I realize too. Once I get over this learning curve this is gonna be my go to game :)