Universal Magic Duels (by Wizards of the Coast)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 8, 2015.

1. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

To add to the above, one of the greatest strength that Hearthstone has by living in an entirely digital world, is that individual cards can be changed/nerfed. Then again, it is a testament to Wizards of the Coast's team that they work extremely hard at preventing overtly powerful combos or loops because they understand the permanence of printed cards being around for at least a season.

2. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Yup, looks like I will just keep waiting for HEX

3. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Well i tried it on the 6plus and there the performance is ok, but the texture resolution is even worse than on the mini2.
    Previous planeswalker versions looked and performed alot better on alot slower hardware.

Its sad to see this low quality offering except creating a new mobile friendly ui that makes you want to play.
    Of course at its core its still magic with all its quality the game system itself offers, but to compete and even get fresh blood into the fold they would have to up the quality bar quite alot.

i mean the pointless cutscenen gfx are higher resolution than the actual cards?! maybe i expected more than a downgraded reskin :/

anyway its free to play so everyone can try it out and see if he likes it or not.

4. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Yes, the battery in iphone 6 is drained like crazy. I think it's the same like XCOM EW and it hasn't 3D graphics. Maybe all the programming and calculations and possible moves, drain the battery like juice !

5. EpicGamerDude

EpicGamerDude Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Oooooh.... Scary First Impressions article from Eli... Is the game really that...disappointing? I mean, pocket gamer gave it 9/10?

6. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    Well, still black screen on iOS 9 beta 3, so I'm afraid I won't be playing this game this summer :/ I'll have to wait iOS 9 official release and see if the game is still broken and needs patching.
    On the bright side, Transistor is working again ^_^

7. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I think I am sticking with this one (over you-know-what) after ignoring 2013 - 2015 editions. Reasons:

1. I don't have to grind much, not even thinking about putting down real $$$ (according to Pocket Gamer) to enjoy this one fully. I am not very much an online player, solo stuff is important to me.
    2. I don't care about cross-platform thing
    3. I believe WotC will add new features along the way (as a light-hearted player, it is nice to have)
    4. I really don't mind going through that gorram tutorials again (I know the game a litte), but gimme the pass straight to the beef would be nice... :)

8. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't think so, given the reasons I typed above

9. EpicGamerDude

EpicGamerDude Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Yeah, I enjoy card games as a whole, especially HS, but u definitely get sick of grinding for so longs. Now I just come back for Tavern Brawl once a week. Magic is a nice break from HS.

10. Fieryseraph

Fieryseraph Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Ugh... crash-tastic on my iPad mini 2. I'll probably have to wait for an update to play. :-/

11. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    What iOS are you on?
    I emailed support and they replied saying to update to iOS 8.4. (This is for iPhone 6+ though).
    But then again, they would say that..
    I'll likely update to see if it changes anything.

12. icemilktea

icemilktea Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    So how generous is the game with the in game currency?

I mean outside of tutorial gold and once off rewards. I mean they are finite resources after all.
    How much do we get per quest/win vs the booster prices?

I played HS and got almost all the cards by using the daily quest and arenas. And only spending money on the expansion packs.

Is it possible to do something similar here? I played magic with physical cards and I know there are way way more cards in magic than HS so without a steady income of in game currency it will be hard to get all the cards we want for our decks.

The battery drain thing is also scaring me

13. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Hearthstone is gone for me. They take up similar space and I haven't spent on hearthstone yet. I've put some time into this one day and it's a more generous free to play game. My only complaint really is the battery drain and I can't think of Many games that drain a battery this quick so hoping that gets fixed. Looking forward to putting more time into it but with some minor improvements and updates along the way I can see this as a game that I keep a long time.

14. KineticBlur

KineticBlur Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2014
    I used to be a big Magic player back in the heyday. I graduated up to Ascension when it came out (Stoneforge) and enjoyed it a lot. Hearthstone easily took the cake when I started playing it (before Naxxramas released) and a reason why I loved it was its fast pace of play. I understand Magic has its' phases and interrupts are a big thing in the game, but the 3-5 second timers in between the gameplay definitely do stand out, especially since i've been regularly playing Hearthstone for a long time now. Will perhaps download it again later once the battery issues are resolved.

15. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    #75 currymutton, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    Mileage varies. :-\ I don't really pay to play F2P unless it is absolutely necessary, which is yet to happen...

1st the Brawl mode requires one to reach level 20 (for reason I don't quite really understand) which I am still at level 18 and

2nd keep on losing does not level me up fast enough (I really don't care losing on regular play cause those Korean players can be crazily tough)

Last but not least, I have 40 ongoing games of Ascension to keep me busy if I want real fair(er) challenges.

I think HS is a far cry to me

16. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Mini RD on iOS 8.2, gone through battle 2 of first Story, not a crash

17. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Far, far more generous than Hearthstone. See this post o' mine. The current number of cards, the Duels core, stands at close to 300, if memory serves, so completing you collection under Duels' generous freemium implementation might be a comparably quick process.

That said, if Magic Duels does well (or even if it does not but Wizards update it with coming expansions regardless), and they start adding old card blocks as well, the number of cards in the game will rocket for the distant heavens absurdly quickly. To me, that's the best combo: a generous freemium model means you can become competitive quickly, but you will probably *never* run out of cards to collect.

18. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    I promise this will be last: to avoid becoming a whiner, here is the summary of what I feel: [​IMG]

19. Cougarcat

Cougarcat Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    The most annoying thing about the game is that it seems to disconnect if you leave the app, then when you beat your game you loose progress.

20. Silverblade

Silverblade New Member

Jul 9, 2015
    My iPad mini can't download it...guess I ran out of luck on new games. Oh well.