Universal Magic Duels (by Wizards of the Coast)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Downloaded it to my 5s seems fine on start up and all. Waiting until I have more time to make the plunge but I can already tell this will be the place to go for strategy help and advice. Bookmarking this forum for sure!

2. Opheus

Opheus Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Man this A7 requirement is dumb. I'm so hyped for this game and yet I can't play. Wizards can give up trying to surpass Hearthstone already

3. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

#43 strivemind, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    No iPad 3 support? Nooooooooo
    And my phone is only a 5 too, so no luck there. Dang it. Any chance this is getting a PC release with cross compatibility?

Edit: Apparently PC and console versions incoming. Sad about lack of compatibility.

4. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    PC release soon. No cross-platform. See previous page.

5. Opheus

Opheus Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Here is the link in the previous page in case u r lazy

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/611951594855227393

6. Warriv

Warriv Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 21, 2015
    Portugal
    Oh my lord I was oblivious to this. MTG is here! I'm not even sure of what to do now. I must make space for it, but... too many unfinished games. What about all my physical cards? Can I throw them at the screen and get them in the game?

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I feel like we need a new thread for compatibility sour grapes.

8. Orpheus

Orpheus Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Maybe we do. What is the A7 owners to other low end devices owners ratio here on TA ?
    I have an iPhone 6 so I can actually play it if I can get pass the small screen and the short life battery

9. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Also in iPhone 6 is somehow slow comparing to other games. Imagine if was playable to non-64bit devices. I hope though to update it soon so that it will be faster or to support more devices.

Also in a video in youtube the developer said that the iphone version is in beta and it's looking good. How on earth is now universal !?!??!! I'm not complaining but it came out of nowhere for iphone !!
    :) :) :) :)

10. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Why is this free to play. WHY

11. Nut

Nut Active Member

Jun 24, 2015
    #51 Nut, Jul 8, 2015
    This is nuts!

Downloaded and played for few mins and this is my first encounter with such a game that drain my 6+ battery that fast. GTA San Andreas, KOTOR, MHFU, etc are no match for this simple card trading game. Unbelievable lol. The game run quite lag/low FPS and hot on iPhone 6+. The graphic also seem low res with noticeable jagginess and artifacts.

Start my story mode and seem quite entertaining as tutorial to MTG. Newb here.
    [​IMG]

12. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    The requirements are odd since the old ones did run alot better on my old ipad than this is doing on a mini 2.

The hole UI is low res and lacks any details so i cant phantom where the performance is going towards.
    That the card art is a pixelated low res mess is very odd. Not sure how magic got more uglier and slower over the years instead of faster and more optimized. Hmm.

I still have a couple thousand old cards in several shoeboxes somewhere, maybe i should dig them out instead.

In this sorry state it cant even dream to compete with Hearthstone. Lets hope they dont start fixing the buggy mess that carmageddon is but get pushed by wizzard to put some work into this one.

13. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    This game runs beautifully on the 6. This may sound weird as it is just menus and cards, but even the presses of the buttons are very responsive (I know that sounds a bit daft). I genuinely didn't know this was coming out, I actually thought Wizards wouldn't do something like this in case it impacted their other revenue streams, to say I am pleasantly surprised is an understatement!

14. falco

falco Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2013
    Canada
    Wow really ? I'm surprised it is iPhone only not a problem but why not iPad too?

15. Cougarcat

Cougarcat Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    A bit of lag on my 6 plus, and drains my battery in a few hours. Definitely doesn't look good enough to warrant the A7. The game is good, though--very surprised this came to the iPhone. I'd given up.

16. Citronaut

Citronaut Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    How's the in-game economy compared to Hearthstone? Is it any easier/harder to accrue currency through playing? What's the real money cost look like for packs?

I've dumped a fair amount of real money into Hearthstone and likely will consider it here too, just curious about how it compares. Looking forward to getting home from work and installing on my iPad tonight.

17. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #57 Ayjona, Jul 8, 2015
    I normally don't like to give leeway to shoddy implementations (though Duels runs and looks very fine on my iPhone 6), but Magic beats Hearthstone by virtue of its mechanics alone, cross-platform support notwithstanding, and would have been my pick even had there been a substantial lack of polish.

This is not a matter of perspective or preference (though which game to actually play sure is). Even with just one block of cards (though more will come), there is not even a common scale to compare the two in breadth, depth, scope, and the enormous tactical variety inherent to Magic's mechanics (but absent from Hearthstone's design principles*).

* Which IS one of the strengths of HS, a conscious decision on the part of the devs, and what makes it so wonderfully accessible and fast-paced. Mind you, I never said that HS lacks variety or tactical depth. But comparing it to what Magic offers is very much like comparing Civilization Revolutions to Civ IV.

So HS:ers, try to look past whatever issues you might have with the non-Hearthstone-iness of Duels, and examine the mechanics in depth. You'll be dazed and hazed.

Also, Magic's freemium implementation is radically generous as compared to HS. Daily quests and multiplayer wins are in place, just like HS (though you make more from MP matches in Magic. But then, matches ARE longer). But there are also Community quests, gold from tutorial and campaign, and most importantly, gold yields from beating the AI over and over (and quite decent ones too, only 5 gold less than MP against hard AIs).

Furthermore, you don't have to purchase the single player adventures, and future cards will supposedly be added without any cost (like Gnomes and Goblins, but unlike Blackrock, etc).

And here is a last but very cool incentive for HS players: AI decks are custom-built BY the AI, with random elements (though curated by humans to remove the most absurd, silly and bad expressions of AI wits). Which means that playing against the AI, either as training for MP or for gold, offers infinite variety.

I was doubly surprised at the generosity of the freemium mechanics. Magic is far more eager to throw gold at players than HS (see the two second to last paragraphs above), and and might actually err on the side of less profit, happier players.

18. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    #58 ShinHadoukin, Jul 8, 2015
    A fact that cannot be ignored is that HS was created entirely in an electronic world. So, the cards and environment have details that a physical card cannot. They have waeight and personality. Magic is a deeper game but are comparitively blander cards. The art is good, but trim & back of the cards look terrible in digital form. The playing field is dull and drab. They need to bring the multiverse to life a little bit.

Not having cross-platform is a huge mistake at this point. There is too much competition to leave this out. I can play HS in my phone at work, then my iPad at home agaimst my android using friend, then later show my buddy on his computer to get him to play. Magic wants me to say, well cool I can play on one device & not my collection on another.

Production value matters. Gameplay rules the day & I like the app. The matchmaking environment is drab & will hurt this game. I fear this is an inevitable issue with a physical game going digital.....no wait, look at any Playdeck game (examples: Lords of Waterdeep, Agricola). Come on Magic, people have done great things. Learn from that, not just a mometization model. Heck, the new Earthcore game is a simpler design with great production value. The digital version should enhance the physical game. Anybody can scan cards onto a computer. I like it & will play, but it should be better.

Magic should have seen HS and said, "ok, that's great stuff. Now, let's take our history & better game & bring it to life in a digital 'Multiverse'!!!!!"

19. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Welp this is the game that's going to make me upgrade. My 5c had a good run but it's definitely outdated. There hasn't been any word from the dev on compatibility so it is what it is.

So how much are boosters in this game ?
    It Will usually run you a good 200 to 400 dollars in paper magic to be competitive so I'm wondering how this pans out digitally.

20. stolenlogic

stolenlogic Active Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Well, back to hearthstone I go.
    My phone would die in an hour of playing this game.