Universal Magic Duels (by Wizards of the Coast)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #21 Ayjona, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    I grew up with Magic, so you might not have to take mine as lightly ;) (but account for nostalgia and bias. That said, there is almost no comparison between MtG and Hearthstone in variety, depth and scope).

Yes, I got that reference :) The Planeswalkers are supposed to be in Magic Duels: Origins (they are listed as one of the new major features at WotC's product page, and you can watch the fella at PCGamesN use them as we speak).

Hence my query. If the Planeswalkers are not in the iOS version, then what we have here is not the full desktop release.

However, there is also the possibility you have to unlock the neowalkers through the tutorial or campaign.

EDIT: Sorry, the Twitch streamer is now doing a Q&A. But he was using Planeswalker cards merrily last night.

2. The Son of Anarchy

The Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    No iPhone 3GS support!?!?

Ya, I'm kidding :D

3. tahzblade

tahzblade Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Was really looking forward for this one! Really suprised this isn't compatible with my iDevice. Oh well... Back to Hearthstone I guess.

4. Jamesrooney27

Jamesrooney27 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    Male
    Uk
    No iPhone 5 support looks like I'm going to have to wait till I get home :(:)

5. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I had though planeswalker cards would be an important enough new feature to be showcased in the screenshots. Either way, not of any use to me because they made A7 a requirement.

6. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
    This is the official new Magic game Wizards did say it was coming out today.

7. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Yes it is :)

8. asaw2

asaw2 Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2013
    South korea
    Using ifunbox 3.0
    Can install in iphone 5.
    But it's always crash.

Install size is 987MB

We need iPhone 5 support...

9. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    The fact that iPad 4 not compatible is weird !?!?!
    Hearthstone is deleted, I don't even care..
    Blizzard with your online ONLY connections and the simple gameplay have pissed us off for sure.

10. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Crashes on my 6+

So don't worry! You're getting the full experience even still! Haha

Dammit I'm so pissed this is crashing (for me anyway).

11. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Game launches fine on my iPhone 6. This really is happening.

For all you MtG or Duels of the Planeswalkers veterans, you might find additional incentive in that this is not an annual release of another limited Duels of the Planeswalkers game.

This is the full Magic experience (not with the old sets and expansions, but they might one day be added), all mechanics, full deck building, free-to-play all the way with free access to ALL content (with a considerably more generous freemium scheme than Hearthstone, in that multiplayer rewards are higher, and you earn gold from Community Quests, tutorial, campaign, solo play against AI, in addition to HS-style Daily quests). This is not just a quick gateway drug to the paper product, or a cheap Hearthstone challenger.

This is how Wizards bring Magic into the new digital paradigm, and they are in it for the long haul.

Hearthstone players, this is a wholly different world of complex mechanics, absurd tactical variety, and a very different focus that offers a faaar bigger scope in viable deck builds and strategy (for instance, there are Magic decks that almost eschew summoned creatures al together). You won't get your casual TCG fix here, and matches can take ten times a regular HS game. But once yer in deep, you might never return to sling cards across the taverns of Azeroth again...

I agree, they should have been.

But luckily, I've found them in game now. Only in the help files so far, but there is a Skill Quest (mini-tutorial that also rewards gold, great idea!) to learn their specific mechanics. I can't play it yet, have to complete tutorial), but I take this as a very good sign they are indeed in the game ;)

(By the way, Duels also feature the five new transforming Planeswalkers, cards that flip to the card back under a trigger condition.)

Sorry to hear about the A7. I hope you can get an upgrade soon. This, more than any game in the history of iOS, is worth being strung along Apple's rapid update schedule for...

12. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I finish the first tutorial "quest" on my Mini RD, no crash so far. Story mode -- looks like I can play something without paying or grinding, for now. I have very low expectation in this thing so please bear with me. :)

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I'm still waiting for it to download on my iPad, but has anyone seen any semblance of an account system? My excitement for this game is really going to go down the toilet if your progress and unlocks are exclusively saved to a single device.

14. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Don't see any account or iCloud thing yet... Sorry.

15. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Wizards have sadly stated that there will be no cross platform play or syncing of collection across devices.

There does seem to be cloud saves for this particular device, though.

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Where did you see that? Last I talked to them about it they were being really non-commital about answering that.

17. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/611951594855227393

http://www.reddit.com/r/magicduels/comments/3afeen/no_crosssaves_and_play_between_platforms_on_duels/ (Ignore the update that says cross-platform is in. That link has since been updated to say that was a mistake, as is apparent in the Star article below.)

http://www.thestar.com.my/Tech/Tech-News/2015/06/30/Magic-Duels-Origins/

http://nerdreactor.com/2015/06/21/mtgfree/

The game seems to use Gamecenter for your identity and possibly cloud saves, so I suppose it is possible there will be syncing across iOS devices.

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Welp.

19. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Need connection to get the gold earned. There may be something... I have no other supported device to test sync

20. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Welp indeed.

I can now confirm that the game cloud saves your gold, story/tutorial progress (and most likely cards), though.