iPhone Magic 2013

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vernimator, Jun 20, 2012.

1. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    2014 does seem to be one of those 'couldn't this just be DLC?' sort of games from what we've seen so far

2. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    I'll definitely buy and support Magic 2014, but if theres practically nothing new compared to Magic 2013 other than the UI, then I don't see myself buying any iAP or expansions.

If thats the case though, I sure hope Hearthstone will be a good game. :)

By the way, I also have two unlocked achievements and Im pretty sure I have completed those two multiple times already. Guess it is a bug, that they didn't bother fixing.

3. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    I guess the9squad had it right: the magic games will follow the path of any sports game, with their annnual iteration that renders the previous one obsolete as far as online play goes, and renders any purchase meaningless if you didn't put a lot of playtime in it at the time of their release.

I don't regret 2013, and I will most surely buy 2014, but i'm bummed about the great 2013 decks that I would have loved to play again.

4. davinci8

davinci8 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Creative Director
    St. Louis, MO
    I haven't found anything to confirm that yet... I really hope it's not going to be the case. At least with the Madden franchise it is a single cost for a year's entertainment. Magic has been incrementally charging all along — the latest IAP purchase has only been out for 2-3 months (maybe)? Not to mention, purchasing "paper" Magic never goes away, you can always go back to the "oldie but goodie".

5. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    I think you need to look no further than the title for confirmation. It's the 2013 edition.

The annual model shouldn't come as a surprise once you realize there has been Magic: DotP, Magic: DotP 2012, and Magic: DotP 2013 so far already. I never knew about those previous ones until 2013, since it hit the iPad and TA posted about it. The TA article even mentioned it was a series.

I hate to dash your hopes, but it's pretty straightforward. :( It will most certainly be a new game altogether, not a DLC update. Even the last IAP decks added to 2013 were announced as the "final decks" to be added, so there ya go.

6. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Yeah I knew the deal when I bought them just thought I'd play it more, but I didn't so wont do that again lol. Not bummed though, like I said I knew the deal, just didnt realize I wouldn't play it.

7. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    As an iPad 1 user, I had completely ignored the planechase section of the campaign, since all the fancy effects ended up pushing the limits of the iPad's memory and crashed the game. I was able to complete one match a while back in airplane mode, but it took a few attempts before I finished one without crashing so I just ignored that mode.

I decided to give it another shot last night. I must have totally missed the news on this, but they seem to have removed all the fancy effects (maybe only for the iPad 1?). This makes the game run perfectly fine in the plainschase campaign, and airplane mode isn't even necessary!

I was pretty happy to discover this, as it not only opens up that mode of game play for me to enjoy, but it also shows that the developers actually put forth the effort to support the owners of the iPad 1, even though they only officially supported the iPad 2 and up. That's a big A+ in my book.

I'm going to buy the three deck packs today, just because of that. I never really wanted them that much, but that kind of support deserves support in kind! :)

8. pXe

pXe Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    Is this game still beeing played online? Is it hard to find opponents?
    Trying to decide to buy this on ipad or on the PC.

I know that Magic 2014 release is likely within the next month.

9. webdaffy

webdaffy Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009

Yes Multiplayer is still very active.
    I have an average waiting time < 1min (CET)

10. Zetaspawn

Zetaspawn Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I really would just hold on for 2014. It is extremely close!

11. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    Multiplayer is still active, but based on what I've read (and experienced on iPad version), there are more bad players with iOS. :D

You may want to just wait for 2014, which should come out june-july based on the trend of releases.

Can't wait for sealed deck!

12. pXe

pXe Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    Yes i know, but i need something now to play while waiting for the hex tcg mmo beta :).

Glad to hear that the multiplayer is still active.

13. Senza

Senza Member

Jan 25, 2013
    #1373 Senza, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
    Steam is showing a release date of June 26 for the PC version of Magic 2014 - DotP. While not officially iOS related, that date does happen to be a Wednesday and falls nicely inside their expected release window (Late June, Early July - before the release of the M14 paper core set).

14. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    Great news! I would assume first week of July release. Can't wait! :D

15. FoolishEarthling

FoolishEarthling Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    I'll be jumping right on it. Fingers crossed for a deck as interesting to play as Crosswinds.

Basically ever game online with Crosswinds my opponents go through the same thought process:

Turn 1: Oh god you played an Island, it's the f***ing millstone deck.
    Turn 2: A Fog Bank? Thank god it's not the f***ing millstone deck.
    Turns 3-5: I'm going to CRUSH YOU!
    Turn 6-7: Why won't you just lie down and die?
    Turn 8-10: I don't get it. How do you even win?
    Turn 11: Ragequit.

:D

16. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    I just made a crosswinds control build. It's worked surprisingly well against the AI, but my multiplayer doesn't work so I can't test it against real opponents.

For some reason whenever I select a multiplayer mode (FFA or planechase) it comes up instantly and says "No games found. Do you want to search again?"

I'm still running iOS 5 on an iPad 3. Does anyone else have this issue? Do I finally need to update to iOS 6?

17. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    Yes. Magic 2014 should be out sometime between next week and early July.

18. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    Hopefully we get it next week. =)

19. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    My only whine so far concerns the Sealed Deck feature. This is SUPER COOL, the niftiest thing ever added to the series to be sure, but there might be a little nickel and diming here.

You'll start off with two Sealed Deck campaign save slots for free with the purchase of the game. As an old roguelike fan who doesn't believe in restores or backups, I initially thought this sounded more than reasonable until I realized what these "save slots" really mean. You can only have two instances of the Sealed Deck tournament draw unless you're willing to pay $1.99 for a new slot with a new draw of 6 boosters. You can't simply delete or write over those initial 2 free slots if you didn't like your draws. While on one hand I like how this means players must really commit to whatever they draw, it feels like they're asking me to PAY AGAIN if I decide at some point to start a new session of the Sealed Deck Tournament in this game I've already paid for.

20. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    ^ agree. They should let you delete your offline sealed decks.

Then change more for another online slot. $1.99 per seems like a cash cow for them.

It's already a $10 game.