iPhone Magic 2013

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vernimator, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    I'm having trouble doing well with the Rogues Gallery deck. It looks good on paper but it always seems to get disrupted very easily. I'm going for some type of card-advantage based deck. here are my cards, in mana order

Lands: 10 swamps/11 islands

0: 3x terramorphic expanse

2:4x Agony Warp, 2x Dimir Guildmage, 2x Inkfathom Infiltrator, Invisible Stalker, Mask of Riddles

3: 2x Dimir Cutpurse, Neurok Invisimancer, Scroll Thief (will be replaced by Royal Assassin upon unlock), Soul Manipulation

4: Abyssal Specter, Ashling the Extinguisher, 2x Barrin's Spite, Glen Elendra Liege, 3x Helm of the Ghastlord, Memory Plunder, 2x Moroii, Sangromancer

5: Followed Footsteps, Ghastlord of Fugue, Grimgrin Corpse-Born (probably replaced by Nemesis of Reason after unlock), Painful Quandary, 2x Ribbons of Night

6: Harvester of Souls, Laquatus's Champion, Wrexial the Risen Deep

There are a lot of really cool cards here, but I can't seem to get them to work to get some wins. Any help/ suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. FoolishEarthling

FoolishEarthling Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    I'll be honest, I'm not much of a fan of Rogue's Gallery as a deck - it's one that offers a lot of potential but the creatures are SO bad that you often just get outclassed. Agony Warp is great until anything at all with 4 toughness turns up, then you're in trouble.

There's just so SO many cards that you don't want to play but are basically forced to in order to reach 60 cards.

Firstly: maximum removal

4x Agony Warp
    2x Barrin's Spite
    1x Soul Manipulation
    2x Ribbons of Night
    (9)

Secondly: efficient hitters (mostly at 4 mana)

3x Moroii
    1x Ashling, the Extinguisher
    1x Grimgrin, Corpse-Born
    1x Harvester of Souls
    (6)

Thirdly: annoying card advantage creatures
    2x Dimir Guildmage
    2x Dimir Cutpurse
    1x Scroll Thief
    1x Wrexial, the Risen Deep
    1x Mask of Riddles
    (7)

So we're 22 cards into the deck and, so far, it's 22 pretty good cards. From here you've got two choices about the package you go for - you either try to maximise Unblockable damage, or maximise hand disruption. The key card is whether you're going to play Helm of the Ghastlord or not...

2 Inkfathom Infiltrator
    1 Ghastlord of Fugue
    3 Helm of the Ghastlord
    1 Glen Elendra Liege
    (7)

At this stage your deck looks like this:

2 Dimir Guildmage
    2 Inkfathom Infiltrator
    2 Dimir Cutpurse
    1 Scroll Thief
    3 Moroii
    1 Ashling, the Extinguisher
    1 Glen Elendra Liege
    1 Grimgrin, Corpse-Born
    1 Ghastlord of Fugue
    1 Wrexial, the Risen Deep
    1 Harvester of Souls
    (16 creatures)

1 Mask of Riddles
    4 Agony Warp
    1 Soul Manipulation
    2 Barrin's Spite
    3 Helm of the Ghastlord
    2 Ribbons of Night
    (13 spells)

For Helm of the Ghastlord 13 of your 15 creatures are Blue/Black so you get both sides of this powerful enchantments, which also helps the Liege out.

We're at 29 cards and need another 6 or 7 or so. There are no more Blue/Black creatures, no more removal spells, in fact nothing at all we actually WANT to draw over any of the cards already in the deck. As we find the last cards we're basically in damage limitation - they're all making or deck worse, we're just trying to make it least worst possible.

Our mana curve so far, btw...

0 / 0 / 9 / 4 / 10 / 4 / 2

There are no 1cc spells we want to play, but the 2cc and 3cc spaces look light. In particular we've got a powerful 4cc Aura and only 7 creatures we can cast before turn 4! We need more bodies, although we're out of Blue/Black ones - options are limited, but Barony Vampire at least at 3 power so can trade with something, and gains the black side of Helm of the Ghastlord, which is the stronger side. You probably have to play Walking Corpse for the same reasons, and if we're trying to control things there should be room for the old school Royal Assassin

2 Walking Corpse
    2 Barony Vampire
    1 Royal Assassin
    (5)

Two cards to go, and from here any creature is probably as good as any other... Invisible Stalker, Abyssal Spectre, Neurok Invisimancer, Sangromancer... they all have upsides and downsides. Pick two, add in some land, and give it a shot.

I'm still not a fan of this deck, though.

3. Fieryseraph

Fieryseraph Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Is anyone tired of seeing the 5-color deck all the time online? I think it's all I play against anymore.

I'm still rocking Liliana's mono black deck, that one is my favorite by far.

4. Brrobotix

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    I'm not a huge fan of this deck, but I've started to play with some of the less popular ones because I like to have a wide variety of play styles to choose from. It gets kinda boring to always play grim procession or sepulchral strength everytime. And I'm not even touching the 5 color or goblin deck, they just seem cheap.

Plus, this deck can be incredibly satisfying to win with. It's just a little slow sometimes.

5. FoolishEarthling

FoolishEarthling Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    Play the Crosswinds infinite turns combo! Most entertaining deck in the game.
    ;-)

6. Brrobotix

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    I will, after I finish my build of Act of War. I really like blue decks, and its weird that I haven't taken a stab at crosswinds yet. But while I'm sharing deck builds, can you take a look at my Berserker Rage deck? I'm trying to do my builds mostly on my own, so if you could just give me critiques rather than just the entire build I'd really appreciate it. Anyway, here's my build

lands: 12 forrest/ 10 mountains

0: 4x Terramorphic Expanse

1: 2x Berserk, Essence Warden, 2x Rancor, 2x Tattermunge Maniac, Ulvenwald Tracker

2: 4x Colossal Might, Fling, Gruul Guildmage, 2x Tattermunge Witch

3: 3x Branching Bolt, 2x Centaur Courser, 2x Fires of Yavimaya, Mage Slayer, 2x Sacred Wolf

4: Boartusk Liege, Breath of Fury, Chameleon Colossus, Rumbling Slum, Spellbreaker Behemoth, 2x Wickerbough Elder

5: Deus of Calamity, Runes of the Deus, 2x Shivan Wurm

7; Borborygmos

I currently have 64 cards, so I need to cut a few (especially if I want to get the maximum draws of fling and berserk.

I'm looking at trying to fit Blitz Helion into the deck because it combos so well with berserk and/or fling, but I wouldn't be able to use either in addition to blitz helion unless I had 6-7 lands to spend. Another useful combo would be to use Breath of fury on lesser creatures to get more attacks out of a blitz helion.

7. Peewhy

Peewhy Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    this game is great for replayability but the 5 color deck I get all the time too

8. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Magic 2014 was announced today. 10 new decks dude

9. Brrobotix

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    Indeed. It's supposed to be shown at pax east too, so well know how it is soon enough.

10. ChaosProdigy

ChaosProdigy Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Male
    Account Manager
    Boston
    I'm new to magic but have played other card games like Yu Gi Oh.

Any tips for a brand new player or links to useful magic for dummies guides?

Thanks

11. Brrobotix

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    Just play the tutorial and then play a few rounds to get the hang of it. The nice thing about DOTP 2013 is that you can get info on any card or any card attribute. Once you understand the basics via the tutorial, just try playing against the cpu a few times. That's how i learned, just by playing a lot.

12. davinci8

davinci8 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Creative Director
    St. Louis, MO
    Does anyone know if Magic 2014 will be a new stand-alone app or if it will be an update to (and replace) the current 2013 app?

13. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    It will most likely replace the app and is a new, stand alone app.

14. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    broken achievements?

I can't seem to get credit for two achievements, near-death experience (win an online match with only 1 life) and insurrection (win an online match with an expansion deck). I've managed to fulfill the requirements for both but I still haven't been awarded either of them (neither in the game or in game center).

Is this a bug, or am I just doing something wrong?

I hope it's not a bug, because I'm thinking the devs have completely moved on to working on 2014 and won't be updating 2013 any more.

15. davinci8

Oct 22, 2008
    Creative Director
    St. Louis, MO
    not sure if it is an official bug, but I have the same exact problem.

16. davinci8

Oct 22, 2008
    Creative Director
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks for the reply! So you think it will be treated as an update with IAP for the new decks? I hope that's the case.

17. Wizard_Mike

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    No, he means it will be "a new, stand alone app."

18. Wizard_Mike

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Thanks for the confirmation. That's what I was afraid of. :( Most likely won't get fixed, since they are done with 2013. Who knows, though. I'll keep hoping, but I don't expect anything will happen.

19. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Yeah I won't be getting 2014, bought everything for 2013 and barely played it and now I'm left with last years madden, no thanks. Not a knock on the game, I just know I won't play it, as I just don't seem to have the time to dedicate to it. If I ever feel like playing ill just play 2013.

20. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2012
    If it has a more robust online experience and rating system, then I'll pick it up. If it's as poor and exploitable as 2013, then I won't bother.