iPhone Magic 2013

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vernimator, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    Is there any way to get more time when searching my deck for a card online. I was playing with obedient dead and just needed the card to deal damage to my opponent for the number of swamps I had out, which would have won me the game, but instead I couldn't find it and had to go with a grave Titan

2. FoolishEarthling

FoolishEarthling Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    There isn't unfortunately. It shouldn't affect you often, though - just get better at recognising the cards you want from a quick browse
    :)

3. Brrobotix

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    yeah I just didn't know what the card was called, since I had just started using obedient dead. idk how i feel about that deck, it doesn't seem as effective as a lot of other decks I've used. I might try out mana mastery, since most of the people I've been playing online have used it and beaten me with almost every deck but Jace's mindstorms.

Would it be worth unlocking and checking out Grim Procession? I'm trying to find one that's as effective as Jace's mindstorms, but I'm not sure which ones to get. And mana mastery seems like kind of a cop out because everyone online uses it.

4. FoolishEarthling

Jun 24, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    There's definitely a lot of Mana Mastery around, and I get the feeling nobody actually wants to play against it. Not many stick around for a second game, and if they do it's because they switch to Mindstorms and try to mill me out (that doesn't work either, but they try).

The Golgari and Orzhov decks are good. Krenko is maybe the best deck in the game, and if you want a real challenge try the infinite turn combo deck of Crosswinds!

5. Brrobotix

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    I need help planning my Orzhov deck. I've been getting destroyed by just about everything online. Somehow the biggest issue I'm seeing is having too much or too few lands. I've gone through multiple mulligans in some games and still ended up with either less than 2 or more than 4. Is there a way to regulate this?

In addition to that, I'm usually stuck waiting for my higher cost cards to surface or waiting four turns while until I can throw down a four cost blooding bat

6. FoolishEarthling

Jun 24, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    #1306 FoolishEarthling, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    The lands thing sounds mostly like bad luck - the deck's no more prone to Mana issues than any other deck, really.

I play:

2 Onyx Mage
    2 Orzhov Guildmage
    2 Restless Apparition
    1 Stillmoon Cavalier
    2 Vampire Nighthawk
    1 Ghost Council of Orzhova
    1 Guardian Seraph
    1 Keening Banshee
    2 Voracious Hatchling
    3 Bloodgift Demon
    1 Deathbringer Liege
    2 Divinity of Pride
    1 Angel of Despair

2 Castigate
    3 Zealous Persecution
    3 Pillory of the Sleepless
    3 Unmake
    1 Vindicate
    1 Damnation
    1 Necromancer's Covenant

4 Terramorphic Expanse
    10 Swamp
    11 Plains

There's a question mark over the 3rd Zealous Persecution being right in the main deck, and possibly that should be the Midnight Haunting or 3rd Pillory.

You asked about how to build Golgari as well... this is my version, although I'd say Golgari probably has about 70 good cards and you always have to leave 10 in the board.

2 Ravenous Rats
    2 Viridian Emissary
    3 Troll Ascetic
    4 Yavimaya Elder
    2 Master of the Wild Hunt
    2 Mortivore
    1 Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief
    2 Spiritmonger
    2 Pelakka Wurm

2 Diabolic Edict
    4 Go For The Throat
    1 Consume Strength
    2 Maelstrom Pulse
    2 Mind Rot
    2 Pernicious Deed
    1 Consuming Vapors
    1 Damnation
    1 Grave Pact

4 Evolving Wilds
    9 Forest
    11 Swamp

Although counter-intuitive over cards like Lord of Extinction or Vulturous Zombie I found Pelakka Wurm to be an important addition at the top end of your deck. Against the aggro decks like Krenko you really need that lifegain to pull you back once you've stabilised the board.

7. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Is it just me or would others also love the option to pick a random AI opponent? The best I've been able to simulate it is start spinning the selector wheel, close my eyes, and give it a few extra swipes. It works but is far from optimal.

The reason I really want this is due to the very nature of Magic and other CCG games. Most of the decks in this game have their optimal counter decks and other decks that they are always a victim to. How can I test the viability of a deck when I'm also picking my opponent? I feel much like like teacher who has one of their kids in the class, in that I can't just pretend all things are equal. I'm compelled to focus on decks I think I could easily beat or overcompensate by seeking out the decks I know I'm probably weak against.

8. Brrobotix

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    I completely agree. I've just been swiping my finger over the opponents until I find a deck I want to play

9. FoolishEarthling

Jun 24, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    I agree it would be nice, but until then...
    http://numbergenerator.org/randomnumberbetween1and15

10. Brrobotix

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    FoolishEarthling thanks again for the help! I think I really just need to cut down my deck size, I usually operate decks between 70 and 80. That might be why I'm getting the wrong cards at the wrong times.

11. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
  12. FoolishEarthling

Jun 24, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    You should definitely definitely definitely be playing either 60 or 61 cards.

I explain why in this article, using the Chandra deck as an example:
    http://www.gamehead.com/article/1879/flinging-fire-duels-2013
    (originally intended to be the first in the series, I basically made a decision that Effort v Reward, it wasn't worth my time doing any more of these guides)

True story: when I play against somebody online the first thing I look at is how many cards they have left in their deck. If it's more than 54 then I know I've won the game before a single card is played, no matter what their deck is. It's not so much that a 70 card deck is that much worse than 60 (though it IS worse), as if you don't know Magic well enough to trim your deck down to 60, then you definitely don't know it well enough to beat me.

13. Brrobotix

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    So I now have Grim Procession down to 60. But I could only narrow Sepulchral Strength to 70. I noticed you don't have blood artists in your builds. Are they really bad? I've kept them because launching a damnation or pernicious deed with a blood artist down can be devastating. The CPU has beaten me that way, I went from 14 life to 0 in one move.

14. dwerny

dwerny Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Am I wrong or is there an error in the "regenerate" ability? I feel like I should be able to activate it at any time but when I try and activate it after choosing blockers it isn't an option. I'm trying to do it after choosing blockers but before damage is assigned.

Or is it not an option because the card is tapped by regenerating? If this is the case then regeneration is only helpful for "target destroy" cards then?

15. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    If I am not mistaken, regeneration should be activated before any damage is dealt (I may be wrong). This way, if you regenerate your creature, and he died from the damage, he will not go to the graveyard, but instead, regenerate and survive. I know in paper magic, we regenerate after damage is dealt, but somehow, based on my experience with Magic 2013, do it before the damage (would appreciate more input/comments/corrections please).

16. JohnMilton

JohnMilton Member

Jan 27, 2013
    I've never played the actual game (the real one I mean). I know that playing the actual game could take many many hours. Is this the case here too?

17. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    Yes, because if you do not but the iAP unlocks of the decks, you will need to unlock hundreds of cards. One win is equal to one unlocked cards. 630 cards to unlock if my math is correct, which is 630 wins, what more if you lose? Or pay additional 0.99 usd for 21 decks to unlock them fast.

18. Brrobotix

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    ...or just play around with the decks, find ones you like, and pay to unlock them. No need to buy all of them, unless you're gonna be playing magic all day everyday.

19. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I think I'm a bit mixed on this. Unlocking all of those cards 1 at a time is pretty tedious, but at the same time, having them all unlocked sort of removes the carrot of a reason to really get to know each deck.

I got the Steam version of the game, and since I already had the 2012 edition, I started with Garruck's deck already fully unlocked. I found having all 30 of those cards there at once a bit overwhelming whereas, when winning them 1 at a time, it was a lot easier to evaluate on a card for card basis if I wanted it in my deck.

20. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    Agree. Especially if you are new to Magic. I used to play competitive paper Magic back then (late 90s), and everything was almost new to me with Magic 2013. Unlocking is tedious, indeed, but allowed me to jump back to the game easier, by learning new cards and abilities slowly but surely.