iPhone Magic 2013

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vernimator, Jun 20, 2012.

1. mooken

mooken Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Canada
    Correct. You can only declare that your creates are attacking. It's up to your opponent to decide to block, or let the damage through. (unless this is modified by card abilities)

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    True but I've definitely had many cases where I was mana hosed and think, if I could customize my deck any more, I'd probably adjust the ratio up a smidge. Also if doing a multi-color deck with some pumpable cards, you might want to include a lot of red even though your deck only has very few red cards comparatively to the other color.

3. g3p3nk

g3p3nk Member

Jun 20, 2012

i am not familiar with this whole cloud thing, which was why i asked the question.
    it would suck if there were no syncing between devices you own..
    having to unlock cards &/ rebuild decks on your other device (/ every other reinstallation) is a huge time waster..

as for ascension, playdek mentioned on facebook that they are experiencing server issues which may take days to solve..
    i couldn't even get into online lobby the past 2-3days..
    i'm guessing that might have something to do with it.. not so much GC's fault..

4. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    What devices would it need to synch between? Do you actually switch between using different iPads in reality? If this ran on iPhone too then I can see that the synching might be more of an issue but iPad only, for most people this isn't so bad...

Jamie

5. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Once you get a decent feel for the play mechanics invite me for a multiplayer game in a couple of days :) i have it downloaded but haven't had a chance to play yet (at work). I haven't played Magic in years (since Fallen Empires or the set after that) so I'm really looking forward to this!

6. SpikeGuy

SpikeGuy Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    That confused me also. I thought that they were highlighting it because I could use it, but that's not the case.

7. g3p3nk

g3p3nk Member

Jun 20, 2012
    #107 g3p3nk, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

it wouldn't be that surprising if you find people with more than 1 ipad these days..

in fact, i use ipad1 atm and have been thinking to get myself an ipad3..
    besides, magic2013 is recommended on ipad2 and above.
    when i raised the question, this was what i had in mind..

the pain i got from kard combat is one thing..
    but i certainly wouldn't love that experience..

reinstallation is another one..
    i wouldn't say magic2013 isn't solid.. but i wouldn't be surprised if it gets corrupted one way or another..

edit: don't get me wrong, i'm not really complaining.. i just hadn't got that much time to try the game this morning.. and since i am at work atm, i am just wondering if someone has already got the answer, that's all..

8. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Sounds like a plan Emos. Mine is still downloading but I'm sure I'll need a couple of days to get the mechanics down as well. Looking forward to it!

9. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Don't have my ipad with me at work..but does this mean if your on vacation in a place with no wifi..you won't have your progress with you? The progress isn't saved locally?

10. squirpe

squirpe Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Software Developer
    Honolulu, HI
    I didn't get my save game progress back even when I got logged into GC. In fact when I kill the app from the multi-task bar, it seems to go back to the start - although I probably need to test this some more.

11. mooken

mooken Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Canada
    Wondering if anyone has tried experimenting to get this working on an iphone/ipod?

12. jaaron

jaaron Active Member

Sep 30, 2010
    So far I'm enjoying the game. It seems well made. However:

• iAP is *not* well communicated.
    • Deck progression in the campaign is also not clear when you start
    • Desk customization appears limited (or is hidden)
    • Battlemat is HUGE. Cards seem very small.

Does anyone know if you can play iPad vs PC multiplayer?

13. aceyprime

aceyprime Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    I'm pretty sure multiplayer on the iPad version utilizes GameCenter, so no iPad vs PC. Though if they ever released a Mac version you could play vs iPad if they added that capability (GameCenter is being added to the next version of OSX, Mountain Lion, releasing next month).

14. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I can tackle some of these.

There is one MAIN IAP which is the $9.99 to unlock the full game and then another 10 little IAPs to unlock decks (you can unlock them all in the campaign but by paying $0.99 for an individual you get access to the deck and all of its additional customizable optional cards right off the bat).

From what I've seen so far the campaign is broken into 5 parts with each part having 2 opponents and 2 optional Encounters (try your deck against an opponent with a stacked deck). Once you clear the 2 opponents in the plane you can move onto the next one.

Each opponent you defeat allows you to unlock a basic form of their deck (unless its one you already have from the start). Also, each time you win a match with a given deck, be it a customized game, an Encounter, an online match, or defeat a campaign opponent, 1-2 cards of your current deck's extra customizable cards will be awarded to you until you've gotten all 30. So, for example, if you wanted you could play the first duel of the campaign, start using that newly acquired deck in a series of online matches until you've unlocked every possible card for that deck, and then continue onto your next campaign opponent. Your progress along the campaign, however, besides unlocking new decks, is also used to unlock some of the initially locked game modes like Planechase.

I'm assuming the huge battlemat is so as to make 4 player games a possibility on the 1 screen.

15. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    Enjoying it so far... unlocking the cards slowly. =) Can't wait for online play.

16. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you here, but when you get a new iPad, if you plug it into your pc and choose to restore it from the backup of your old one it'll automatically transfer all of your app settings and game saves across.

It's only if you want to then keep both iPads going at the same time and sync your progress between them that you're (probably) out of luck.

17. Pifecta

Pifecta Member

Feb 15, 2012
    How does it play for complete noobs?

Anyone have any input on how this game plays for complete Magic noobs like myself? I've played a few card games, namely on iOS like Ascension and Nightfall, but never any form of Magic. Is it rather easy to learn the basic principles of the game? Good tutorial? What say you, Touch Arcade?

18. Spatzi

Spatzi Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    #118 Spatzi, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
    One complaint i have is with blocking. It is not intuitive. Half the time i am struggling to figure out how to do it. I just spent an hour and a half on a four player AI planeswalk duel, and it was great. More fun than single duels. I was down to one life, after not even getting a land card for first eight turns, but still managed to amass an army while the others killed each other. I had 7 creatures out each gaining counters every turn for doing damage, and the last guy, white, had one creature out, kept rolling the die truing to leave the plane. I attacked with all mine, left one in reserve to block his 7/7. (land creature) When he attacked i hit the pause button, i hit the block button but there was nothing happening. My creature did not even show the option of being able to block. I got hit and lost the game that i should have won. Grrrrr! A lot oF time invested to lose because of blocking issues.

If you have newly summoned creature, i know it can't attack, but it can still block, right?

19. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Tap creature wich you want to block with,then creature you want to block. Then press block button.

I learned to play magic pre internet and it was quite a hassle back then to tackle the basics. I think the tutorial is quite good,you can try for free so just give it a go. If it's not clear there are excellent tutorials all over the internet. I don't kno if it's for nostalgic reasons but Magic is still the best TCG for me,beautifull artwork and awesome mechanisms. Didn't touch it for a long time because i lost all my physical cards in a fire (including a mint black lotus*sob*) and it was too expensive and painfull to start again. Untill last years 2012 ps3 edition wich i found awesome. This is even better.

20. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    When you first load up the campaign the game asks you if you've ever played MtG and gives you three choices: Never, A Little, A Lot

That pop up alone tells you the care they took to make sure new players will get all the info they need. I choose "a little" even though I used to play everyday for several years and found that tutorial to be really well done. The help pop ups return every time their trigger is activated (an example being if you play a creature with Trample a pop up appears and it explains what Trample does) but there is also a "don't show again" button but it works on THAT SPECIFIC POPUP. So you never feel like you're missing important info.

If that wasn't enough there is a question mark button next to your avatar that when pressed gives you a suggestion of what to do next (play a land, cast a specific spell, etc). If you take a long time making a move a white chevron will appear over a card in your hand. Essentially an auto help in case you are having problems.

It's fantastic