iPhone Magic 2013

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vernimator, Jun 20, 2012.

1. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Damn - $10 IAP.

Does anyone know if there's an AppShopper type app which can tell me about IAP price drops? If the Steam version is anything to go by this is bound to drop to $5 at some point.

2. fr33z33

fr33z33 Member

May 22, 2012
    Damnit, they could have coded accelerator support in. So that the foil cards actual shine and twinkle when you move and tilt your device. On the other hand, being an ex-hardcore MTG player, I would like as little optical distraction as possible. Downloading right now.. does anybody know if you can turn off "special effects" in options to have a pure experience?

3. Multicron

Multicron New Member

May 23, 2012
    Two glitches to report - the maelstrom wanderer achievement unlocks in the game but not in gamecenter. Also there's a white enchant creature card that doubles owner's life if it deals damage to a player- the ability activates even if it only damages a blocker.

4. wangsimian

wangsimian Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Great! I'm big MAGIC fan, and love to play it on my iPad.
    Can't put it down.

5. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

6. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Seriously?

$10 is a steal. This is up there with the best possible board games on the app store. I tried to get into every single card game out there. Ascension, the one game done by the creator of Magic, the AC game... Nothing, NOTHING has been like this. It blows everything else out of the water on the app store. Well, almost. It sits up there next to Carcasonne and Ticket to Ride as the best board game of all time. If this game isn't GOTW, then everything is wrong in this world.

And no, there's no IAP app shopper. I really don't think this is worth waiting for. It is really the best buy out of anything.

7. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    The game is really well done, it is totally worth the asked price, but I'm not into it, because it is just a really limited version of the real game. :(

8. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Awesome!!!!this is so much more fit for my ipad as my ps3.

9. Bop

Bop New Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Hi guys! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm sure I spotted text chat for online play in an early screenshot of this. Am I missing something obvious or is it hidden away somewhere?

Also: where do I go to find pending Game Center invites? If I miss the initial notification it seems to disappear into the void, though I get notified when my friend cancels the game. This has bugged me for ages so hopefully someone can help me out!

Despite these niggles I'm loving the iPad implementation so far. Hooray for Magic!

10. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Downloading it now, can't wait to play it when I return home from work tonight! I remember playing MTG waaay back in the early 90s (started when Legnds came out) so this should definitely fill that void!

11. turbohat

turbohat Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Re the IAP. I notice there's the $10 IAP and 2 99c IAPs. Does the $10 option contain everything?

12. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Yes, the $10 is for the complete game. The rest of the IAP are either for quick deck unlocks (instead of having to beat them), and foil conversions (which just makes cards look shiny).

13. turbohat

turbohat Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Thanks just noticed there's now 9 pieces of 99c IAP. Are these just the regular deck but pre unlocked?

14. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    In a world where I got World of Goo, Modern Combat 3, Ascension, Dead Space, Monopoly, Scrabble, Plants vs Zombies and Osmos for 69p and Swordigo, Death Rally, Ticket to Ride (iPhone Edition), Trivial Pursuit, Asphalt 6, Highborn, Mecho Wars, Civilisation Revolution, Rage HD, Robokill and Reckless Getaway for free, I'm not spending £7 on anything.

I pushed it to £2 for Infinity Blade 1 and 2 - and I'd probably push it maybe as far as £4 for Magic the Gathering - twice what I've ever paid before.

15. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    I used to play MTG a lot many years back - and when I played, you could attack with a creature that had the ability to be pumped, and choose to pump it as an instant once blockers had been declared. This game seems to treat pumping as a sorcery - so needs to be pumped prior to the combat - is this a rule change or is the game incorrect in this?

Cheers,

Jamie.

16. Wemac

Wemac Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Game Reviewer
    #37 Wemac, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
    You can pause the game before or after blockers has been declared and apply spells to your or your opponent's cards. Some cards are sorcery-cards and needs to be cast in a main phase and others are instant cards that can be cast at any moment. I recommend that you pause the game tho, otherwise you need to be fairly quick with those instant spells.

---
    On a side note, So far this game works exactly like the prior xbox/steam etc -versions of the game and it suits the iPad perfectly. the graphics is a bit blurry on my iPad 2 for some reason but overall, THIS is why I bought my iPad! :) The IAP price is a steal considering how much time I'll spend in Magic 2013...

Now off to purchase the Xbox and windows-version of the same game and bang my head against the wall because I have to unlock everything 3 times ;)

17. afyzendo

afyzendo Member

Mar 18, 2009
    I love playing this great game on my iPad instead of inside Parallels on my Mac. It does drain the battery, it seems.

Has anyone figured out why sometimes you get a bronze "medal" for finishing a campaign level, sometimes silver, sometimes gold?

18. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Custom finishing carpenter
    Wasaga beach, Ontario, Canada
    Then wait forever while we enjoy this fantastic game, I hope the price never comes down so only dedicated players are around for multiplayer. I mean, picture this, "The user has left the table because mommy said it was past bedtime". No thanks, I don't want to play against kids who are checking it out, I want to play against people who want to play. This isn't Nova.

19. Wemac

Wemac Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Game Reviewer
    Does Two headed giant only work with another AI as team mate or am I missing something? Seems odd :/