Universal Magenta Arcade (by Lucas Mattos)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 18, 2015.

1. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    This is REALLY good.

2. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    I teally think this is great 2!!!

3. skylined87

skylined87 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Very cool game! Me likey...

4. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Yeah, it doesn't register score unless you beat the level.

5. Mark DeNardo

Mark DeNardo Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Sound Wizard
    Brooklyn, NY
    Not full screen?

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    There are too many posts to comment on in here, so ill just try to sum up my thoughts in one tiny post. Of course the fact that the game isn't full screen bothers me, but it doesn't take anything away from the fact that this is one of the freshest, most varied, imaginative and fun shmups on the App Store. It didn't get a feature (at least here in Lebanon) and I think that's due to the fact that it isn't full screen and doesn't utilize game center, but I sincerely hope that all you guys interested in the game do check it out so that its a success and those features are implemented...because like I said, this is just one of the best shmups on the store. Easily.

7. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    This game will not work on my iphone 5 either (sorry, can't remember if it is an iphone 5 c or s). I have the latest ios version on my device too.

8. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    The lack of full screen makes me hesitant.. No GC is a bummer as well :/

9. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I think it's worth pointing out that this is basically just relative touch control, albeit with no actual "ship" to move around. So considering all the Cave SHMUPS don't fit any screen completely and serve their purpose nonetheless, the only thing that is different in this scenario is the lack of an arbitrary border around the action. It's not a gameplay-breaking issue like having poorly-positioned buttons for some screens.

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Well said. :)

11. Lucas Mattos

Lucas Mattos New Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Game developer
    Belo Horizonte, Brazil
    Hi guys!

I'm a developer of the game here at Long Hat House, and I couldn't help but post some answers to your "questions" here. I will try to keep it to this post so I don't transform this thread in a support forum and I don't suppress you from sharing your thoughts or anything like that.

First I would like to say that seeing those positives comments mean the world to us, we are indie developers and making games is our passion. All we want is to make games people would enjoy and have fun with, so thanks a lot for your support, as it give us fuel to keep working hard.

We are listening to you all, we had many reasons for why we made the game as it is, good or bad choices, they all sounded right when we did it. But of course your opinion might change our minds.

As smegly pointed out, it is common to use letterbox as screen fit for shmups, instead of full screen, there are some game and level design issues doing it differently. Thus, changing camera size for the game is not an option for now. We considered filling the black bars with more beautiful or useful information, but as the game has it's old style, in our mind, black bars always looked better then anything else that could attract player's attention. We are reconsidering this option now.

About Game Center, I can see it is a bummer for you. We went very strongly into the retro style, and had our inspiration in old games and in our experience as players. But now with your feedback, it is a sure thing leaderboards will come to the game in the near future! It is our main priority post-launch.

For those who experienced freezing or crashing, please let us know about it directly. We tested the game in most common iOS devices, mainly the recent ones and those freezes took us by surprise, we want to fix that. Please all those experiencing any kind of problem with the game feel free to contact us at contact(at)longhathouse.com

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Welcome to the TouchArcade forums! :)

Sorry, I gotta split (bloody work!!!), but I'll just say one thing...it's awesome that Game Center support is coming to the game, and if anything...yeah, I'd just go with art-filled borders. That way you don't have to drastically change anything in the game.

13. master333

master333 Active Member

Sep 28, 2012
    iPhone 6 plus 64gb not jbroken. On 8.2 magenta doesn't load past the loading screen.

On my iPad Air it works great. iPad is jbroken on 8.02

14. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    This is one of my favourite games of this year, I'm absolutely loving it.

I've been absolutely spoiled recently; as my new iPad is slightly smaller in capacity I need the storage space more. So I've been playing a lot of games I've been saving for God knows when. Which means I've started Out There, Adventure Time Game Wizard, Goblin Sword, Mines of Mars, Wayward Souls, Heroes & Castles and a load more. Even so, this game is standing out as the one I'll come back to the soonest.

I absolutely love it and can only echo MC's statement that it's one of the best shmups on iOS. Not just in character, but in gameplay, visuals and controls (a genre sticking point). If you don't mind the faults or would rather see it as investing in getting those issues sorted, please please consider buying this. The dev is communicative, it's fully premium and it's unique.

15. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #35 Intendro, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    Stupid... Simon Says boss... Argh.
    #

16. brantkings

brantkings Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Game dev
    Brazil
    Magenta Arcade Updated with your feedback

Hey guys,

I'm Brant and I'm also a developer on Long Hat House.

So we launched an update today which addresses most of the feedback you gave us here in this topic (we're thankful of that). So we realize this news might be of interest to you guys, here is the changelog:

• 1- Game Center is fully integrated within the game. There is now global highscores and achievements!
    • 2- Game Over screen now has some tips to help you out.
    • 3- There is now art for the letterbox's black bars. As Lucas explained before, filling it with gameplay would not be only expensive to us and can result in a lot of game and level design issues. We decided to go for a "looking from the skies" feel to the game with it.

There are improvements all around in level design and some bugs have been fixed.

But as you know, we don't have much option in iOS hardware over here, so it is largely possible that people with game-crashing bugs still have them meaning that they still can't play. For that situation, we implemented a bug-logging system: if the game crashes on you, we receive a error log explaining to us what probably caused the bug, so we can fix it on a later update. So just trying to play the game again can actually help us a lot.

One last thing: a demo or lite version of the game called Magenta Arcade Chapter 1 is getting reviewed by Apple right now, so if any of you guys are unsure of dropping money into this, you can wait for that, probably we're gonna launch it next Thursday.

We are always looking at this topic periodically! Thanks for the feedback! As Lucas said, we are indie developers making games out of passion, and knowing that people actually had fun with this game is just sensational. :)

See ya,

João Brant

17. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
  18. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Now on sale for a buck. Grab it! :D

19. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    Almost forgot about the game.
    So thanks for the sale, I'm in. :)

20. Dentorin

Dentorin Active Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Just picked this up but it is crashing for me everything zi start the game. I get an error right before the language select and will not let me select anything else from there.