Mage Gauntlet - from Rocketcat Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Kepa, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Should just release it tonight! ;)

2. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    yeah I was thinking the same thing too haha :D

3. riggysmalls

riggysmalls Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Oregon
    +1 from me!

4. Fep52

Fep52 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    In light of that, I think I might go back through the Hook trilogy and buy all of the IAPs as a way of donating to the cause. Man, this wait is tortuous; I'm glad I live in aus and will get the game relatively early.

5. Register

Register Member

Jun 22, 2011
  6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Looks simply awesome. Release can't get here soon enough.

May have been asked already, but any idea on file size? Gonna start planning what to delete before hand to get this immediately when it hits.

7. Fep52

Fep52 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Less than 20mb, confirmed via twitter.

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks! Painful deletion decisions averted!

9. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Yeah. I think it's pretty much mandatory to make sure an iPhone game is downloadable over cellular.

I think iPad is more forgiving on this, though. I really wanted to give the game tons of music, but we obviously couldn't. Still, most of the game's size is music files.

10. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Yes!!!!!!! :D

11. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Frankly, I wish more devs would take heed of this. I'm getting tired of 200 MB+ games that are actually even just casual games and don't look much more polished than 20 MB games. My fault for having an 8GB, but still, I think good games can still be made with smaller sizes.

12. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Like Worms Crazy Golf, which was a terrible buy, lol. 681 MB, and no multiplayer in site for a turn-based golf game. Wait, wrong thread to be bashing games in, my bad. I have a 32 GB, but I still think it's pretty ridiculous how big some games turn out to be after playing them. Silent Ops is another good example. It's one of Gameloft's most limited games in content, yet the file size is among the largest, clocking in at over 1 GB. Terrible compression of cinematics and voice-overs/music.

Anyways, tomorrow is going to be freaking amazing for RPG fans. It's been a while since we've had some good RPGs, and tomorrow we're getting two awesome ones for robbery prices..$1.99 for this, and $0.99 for Fara. Amazing.

13. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Don't think this idea would be feasible..but maybe an option in the game menu to "download" additional soundtracks? But then the game may have to be reworked..so don't think this would be a good idea, but just throwing the ideal out there.

I remember downloading I think Fragger..and in game there was a button to download additional "retina display" graphics. Don't know how they did that...

14. Bertman

Bertman Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I was wondering the same thing. Not sure if it could be done but it would be cool.

15. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    is this going to be a worldwide release or the usual gradual release by time zone?

16. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Most likely a usual release by time zone.

17. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I believe just the usual gradual release. Whatever the DEFAULT SUBMIT OPTION was is what it is.

We could do a DOWNLOAD ADDITIONAL TRACKS button, but that's really lame. Then we'd have to consider the game both with the extra music and without, do the server stuff, whether to charge for the extra music or not, etc. Not going to do that kind of thing, ever.

Now that I have an iPad, for future games I'm really considering doing a seperate iPad version first. Way less limitations in app size, and the better vertical-to-horizontal screen ratio is way nicer than I thought it would be. Seems like you could do a simultaneous PC + iPad release much easier than PC + iPhone, just due to these couple of factors.

The iPhone versions of future games, if we go that "PC + iPad then iPhone" route, would then have to be separate versions with less music and altered levels to deal with the crappier screen height. Generally I think developers that go this route also release the iPhone version about a month later than the iPad version. Such are the sacrifices you make for cheap games that you can play on the toilet.

18. Joshnsuch

Joshnsuch Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    I understand why you would do that, but it does bum me out. I would just prefer a universal version released. Probably because I only own an iPhone. :D

19. Ashflow

Ashflow Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    I too would be bummed.

Also, I've gotta wait until Thursday night to buy this, so it looks like I'm getting it "on time" :( :p

20. Since87

Since87 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2010
    ..… how do i control lexi?

of all the questions i see, i see none about the controls.
    wth people! asking about the ending and secrets before knowing how to play the game.. sheesh