Mage Gauntlet - from Rocketcat Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Kepa, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Wait, so the robe, weapon, ect. are not free for the first buyers?

(not that I don't mind buying the IAP, but I don't have the cash to go buy another card.)

2. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I'm pretty sure that it's included.

3. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Only the pet+hats pack is free for early buyers, the stuff we talk about on magegauntlet.com

The weapon, robe, etc are separate things, so not free. For future releases, I was thinking about making all release IAP free for early buyers, but not doing the dollar-off discount. A dollar off doesn't sound like a huge deal, but it's actually 33% less profits for us. I'm not sure what would be a bigger draw, a discount or free IAP.

Some hats are rarer than others, though the drop rate for all hats are increased in Master Mode.

4. Ashflow

Ashflow Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    #324 Ashflow, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
    I'd have to go with free IAP's.
    I'm a "traditionalist(...?)", I guess you'd call it. I like to pay for games one time (the IAPs in your game are totally optional, of course, I just don't like them in general), so not getting a dollar off at the beginning is fine by me, since I think your games are worth the usual price anyways. Just my POV :)

Oh, and it sounds like you guys need some stronger pesticide ;)
    Can't wait for the game!

5. dxfan101010

dxfan101010 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    #325 dxfan101010, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
    I agree with ASHFLOW. Id rather pay a dollar extra to get the whole package then 1 dollar less to have to buy 3 dollars in iap to have everything plus i always loved having the early buyer only hat or object to show we bought the game early . Either way your games are an instabuy.

6. JackMule

JackMule Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011

Yeah, I didn't mean it like overpower one sword so every enemy goes down with ease, I meant weapons with special abilities but suffer in the damage department. By special abilities I don't mean stat boosts or stuff like that. One of the weapons I mentioned, the Rune Sword, had the ability to be tossed at an enemy and come back to your hands after throwing. Another had the ability after doing a button combo to make an explosion, which was pretty cool =P. Or even say a player had a certain sword that unlocked a secret area. Ex: Fire sword melts ice leading to secret boss/enemy/hat. However, I'm guessing the whole idea of not putting a weapon like the Crissagrim was meant to keep the gameplay balanced and much more about the players skill rather than what he/she's wearing. If you guys every make a Metroidvania type game like you've talked about before, you should put the Crissagrim in it, but make the damage absolutely terrible just kind of as a reference/novelty item.

Anyways, 2 questions: Is there a boss rush mode? Are there hard and creative puzzles (like some Zelda games), Zenonia puzzles (monotonious, boring, and extremely easy), or none at all?

Thanks for responding, you guys are the best!

7. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Yeah, I think we'll go for that next time. More elaborate IAP, no discount, but early buyers get all the release IAP free. The "no discount" part would probably be better for us in the long run, anyway.

We briefly had a super-fast but really weak sword, but just decided to take it out and give all swords the ability to fast-attack if you jam the button. Similarly, we had a trinket that made the dash let you go through spells, but we took that out and just made the dash and charge inherently let you slip through enemy projectiles. There's also a buff spell that gives your sword a ranged attack. If some unique ability is going to be put in, would rather make it a spell than a sword, just so it's used more often given the effort it takes to make. I do want to make some wackier weapon subtypes in future RPGs, though.

No boss rush mode, could probably make one, though. Kill all the bosses in the game, for time? Or see how many times you can loop them?

There aren't really any puzzles. Maybe one. Instead, we went for finding secret areas. Suspicious walls and out of the way areas can hide extra spell urns, hidden item chests, books to read, and Super Quickhook style decorative objects.

8. epedemix

epedemix Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Secret Areas > Puzzles.. Most games I have played since I was young, finding secret areas was something that always kept me involved. I do like a good story, but its finding all of the hidden stuff in a game that drives me forward. I am really glad to hear that will be a big part of MG.

Thanks again for all of your hard work, and your activeness on this forum Kepa, you and yours @ RCG are truly inspiring.

9. JackMule

JackMule Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    For the boss rush mode, most do the fastest time system and I'd think that'd be the one I'd like the most (beating the same bosses over and over again wouldn't seem that fun), but if it was included at all that'd be sick.

No puzzles = more action and that's fine with me =P.

One FINAL last quesiton I think I'll be asking until release date is... Ability to record speed runs? That's just a fun feature to have but obviously not that important.

Thanks again.

10. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    No record ability, didn't think of that. Doesn't really fit the game too well, though, as there's no sort of timed-score mode on release.

Found the EARLIEST KNOWN VERSION of Mage Gauntlet, thinking about taking some footage in the simulator, for the hell of it.

11. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    Is this game coming out tonight?

12. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Not in NZ at least, no.

13. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    No it isnt, they said on their blog that the game pushed back a little, one or two weeks...
    :(

14. Ashflow

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    Is there a reason that one of the possible release dates is expected to be Friday the 14th? Wouldn't it be the 13th?

This is a bump in disguise.

15. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    #335 Dazarath, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
    From their Twitter:
    Unless RCG changed their minds about following the standard Thursday midnight release, wouldn't approval on the 7th would become a 13th release and a 14th approval would be released on the 20th?

16. Ashflow

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    I'm pretty sure they guessed those dates knowing they'd submit it a while before those dates came to pass.

I was just wondering why one expected date was a Thursday and one was a Friday.

17. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    If it was approved for a Friday, we'd probably just release it then instead of waiting for the next Thursday. Generally you want to release on Thursday for possible Apple featuring, but it seems like releasing on Friday can work pretty well, as long as you get weekend press coverage. It just means you won't get the Apple feature until after your game's been out for a week.

18. Avarid

Avarid Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Oh man, I cannot wait for this game! I wish there was a way to pre-order apps on iTunes, because my money is practically already yours. Day one buy for sure.

19. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009

We found the earliest existing build of Mage Gauntlet. Pretty funny just how drastically different it is, now. Check out the description on the youtube video for a long explanation of how much it changed.

Slowly working on some Master Mode footage. Combination of taking our time until we get definitely know the exact release date, and how difficult it is to take footage off the simulator. I wish iSimulate worked for me.

20. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Oh ma gaud! Is that seriously how it started!?:eek::eek::eek:

Wow well Mage Gauntlet has come a long way. I was reading a gamer's magazine (can't remember what it was called) and Mage Gauntlet was the #1 most anticipated iOS game of the fall!