Mage Gauntlet - from Rocketcat Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Kepa, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polarsolstice

polarsolstice Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2010
    submitted yet?

2. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    No it hasn't

3. Register

Register Member

Jun 22, 2011
    When this game come out?

4. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.

5. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Kepa how's trix?

6. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Oh, you know, game developer stuff.

Last part of making a game is the hardest part.

The plan for the next game is to just keep the game a complete secret until it's done, *then* announce it. The announcement itself will contain a huge lie saying that we just started working on it. Then we'll wait a month or two, so it looks like we're busy developing it when we are in fact completely finished.

That way, we could be sure to release a game exactly when we think it will be released. No delays, no missed release dates, no disappointments.

7. Register

Register Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Am I wrong?

8. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Pretty soon. Really close to submitting, but the last few bits are going really slow.

9. Register

Register Member

Jun 22, 2011
    oh thx kepa
    i love this kind of game wait for it

10. Andiron

Andiron Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Aww. We're not *that* bad are we? ;)

But seriously, as a consumer I have mixed feelings about a dev doing that. On one hand, I really like having a new game to look forward to and information about it. But on the other hand, if the new game I'm waiting for gets delayed I can't help but get a little disappointed.

From your perspective I'm sure it is a bit of a pain to have to feel a need to communicate about release dates or delays just because you announced a game.

I have an idea - maybe just announce games in the future but give absolutely no indication at all of when it will release? I know the "its done when its done" philosophy has worked for many other game companies (id, Blizzard, etc).

Anyway - I'm going to purchase this day one as soon as it comes out and obviously I'd like to get my hands on this sooner than later, but I'd rather it not be released until its ready - even if that should take another several months. I don't consider something "delayed" unless the dev says it will be out at a certain time and then it doesn't get released.

And I for one have never felt Mage Gauntlet was delayed - I don't think you've ever really come out and said you're definitely going to release it by a certain date. You've just been sharing information with us about the game is all. So no delays here... ;)

11. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    It's mostly just that it's depressing to miss a self-imposed deadline. And I was mostly making a joke based on my reaction to the Fargoal thread.

Yeah, the Valve/Blizzard way of doing it is better. Though they kind of take it to an extreme, if they announce something and then not release anything for four years. The Valve/Blizzard/3dRealms way.

Still, I think the next game we make will be kept a secret until we're about to release it. Other than that it will be a free to play game. It will also be a game with a much shorter development cycle, so it won't be secret for too long.

12. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    And no pre release hype or beta testing.

13. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Haha This is possibly the truest statement ever said... LOL:D

14. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Please don't do a Crescent Moon. That means announce a game when you've just decided to make one, and then release it two+ years later.

15. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    They're doing the opposite! :p

16. Deity X

Deity X Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Any update?

17. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    The whole thing was due to boss fight bugs and issues, so we ended up just rewriting that system. Now we're rebuilding those parts.

18. Deity X

Deity X Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Good to know.

19. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Shooting for a FRIDAY submit.

Wish us luck.

20. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Good luck, for both the benefit of RCG and the fans.