GameClub Mage Gauntlet (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 19, 2011.

1. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I don't generally enjoy roguelikes either but I loved WS and have found it more fun than Mage Gauntlet. They're both good though. Just don't expect MG to have that much of a longer-term character strength progression. Lexi's 75 levels aren't dissimilar from how WS characters improve; they're small levels that basically make her 75% better than she starts, not 75x. Similarly, the advantages of the late-game gear aren't staggering compared to what you start with. It still follows an arcade template where you're never too far from death no matter where you are in the game.

2. Gunlock

Gunlock Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    The game just got a widescreen update a couple of days ago. Thank you devs!

I'd love to see Rocketcat's older games getting widescreen (or maybe universal?) updates, that would be great...

3. Ty-Ty2020

Ty-Ty2020 Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2015
    Can anyone tell me how to get three stars on a level? I just now picked this up and cannot figure it out. I'm sure it's somewhere in the threads but considering how popular this game is it would be way too hard to find it.

4. bhoylhogro

bhoylhogro Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Reaching the end will get you one star. Killing all enemies (signified by the *Level Complete*) will net you another star. No deaths in the level will get you the last.

5. Ty-Ty2020

Ty-Ty2020 Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2015
    Thank you so much!

6. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Playing this again on my new iPad Pro. While it's nice to get away from the very half-hearted job that the guys contracted by Rocketcat to do the widescreen update did for the iPhone, one thing I am noticing while holding his huge device in my hands is that this game needs MFi support more than any game ever! Kepa if you're reading this, I know you guys are a small team of 3 dudes and obviously updating older games that have peaked sales-wise long ago doesn't exactly put a plentiful bounty of food on your table, but is there any chance of an MFi controller update once all your crazy-big queue of new stuff (Dad by the Sword, Death Road to Canada, Wayward Souls PC release and iOS update) is released in the wild?

7. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    The contracting thing didn't work out great, mostly because it was too much cost. Which is too bad, since that would have helped a lot with continuous support.

I want to do mFI support and better widescreen support for Mage Gauntlet, but I really had no idea when we'd get around to it. Wayward Souls has a lot of priority for updates because even though it's 3 years old, it still makes money. What we'll probably end up doing is getting Wayward Souls PC out after Death Road comes out, then doing the big last iOS update, then starting up the next game in the engine. Once we get some work done on the next game in the engine, we could start back-porting new stuff from there to Wayward Souls and maybe Mage Gauntlet, too.

Another thing that makes things complicated: If we update an old game, it can break things for old devices. Over time it gets harder and harder to update something that's old so that it supports both old and new devices or old and new iOS versions at the same time. Apple's mobile stuff really isn't designed for backwards compatibility at all, since hardware obsolescence is likely a bonus for selling hardware. This is an especially big problem for updating games like Hook Champ or Super Quickhook. No idea what to do there, except maybe making an all new version. Hook Champ 2016? Hook Champ HD Remix Turbo? Mage Gauntlet Anniversary Edition?

Not sure if there's any good examples of this, especially for a complex game.

8. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet

Mage Gauntlet AE!!!!!

9. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Mage Gauntlet Tournament Edition Revival Anniversary Extreme HD Remix

10. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Yes please. Pretty please. :)

11. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Would just making a separate version at this point be fine?

12. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    It'd be better than fine as far as I'm concerned and I know a lot of people here would agree. Similar to what Chaotic Box is doing with Silverfish DX.

Mmm, Hook Champ DX.

13. SolsticeLady

SolsticeLady Active Member

May 15, 2014
    Female
    @Kepa - will this Game be updated to 64Bit? Otherwise it won't be supported in iOS 11. i rather like it still and would be happy to continue playing it

14. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I second the question, since I love the game.

15. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    Would love for this to be updated to 64 bit as well.

16. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    Update with controller support.

I was never a ‘controller guy’ till iOS13 hit and I suddenly had an extra use for my PS4 DualShocks. I’ve since learnt that pairing them with an iPad is an awesome portable game system that is very versatile.

If GameClub are reading this and controller support may be added to future titles, my wish would be for Orc Vengeance or DeathBat next, and thank you.

17. I emailed them. They said controller support for this game is work in progress

18. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    I'm not exactly sure how this happened or how this game got connected to this GameClub service, but I'm at least glad the game is still alive and did not suffer the abandonware fate that I was sure it was resigned to. Now here's to getting that MFI support!

19. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    Okay soooo I log in for the first time in years to discuss this game, and as soon as I make the comment about a years-old game needing controller support, the article appears on the main page to announce its controller support. I'm sorry but that's just friggin eerie.

20. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    They're in your mind.....
    Dun dun duuuuunnnnnnnnnnnn