GameClub Mage Gauntlet (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    It's done by iTunes file sharing (you can transfer the save.dat between your devices and computer), so I think you do need to be hooked up to a computer.

2. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Ummm

That kind of defeats the purpose doesnt it, i mean if i play on my phone at work then get home and wanna play on my ipad i dont want to hook up to my computer... Zombieville 2 has the best cloud saving possible, i mean its instant phone to ipad np.

3. SirDarkened

SirDarkened Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    Why, when I downloaded MG does the icon look like Lexi running and when it finally installs the icon changes?

Also, still 7 hats left, I know how to get them but I probably won't be done until tomorrow.

Then I'm awaiting the spinoff ;).

EDIT: 1.22 changed the icon.

4. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Framerate sometimes improves when I disable Game Center. I'll keep playing and report back, but the framerate seems to be all over the place (iPad 2, but not iPod 4G.)

5. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Yeah we got requests for iCloud and iTunes File Sharing. Only had time to do one this time around. Will add iCloud in the next update and in future games.

6. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Great

I appreciate that Kepa!

7. soldat7

Jul 12, 2011
    Yeah, gonna have to put this down for now. 2x mode was much smoother. Starting from the very first level, on a fresh install with nothing running in the background, yields a frame rate seemingly near 60 or so. Soon thereafter, just before or sometimes after the first little cave, the framerate drops to a something resembling a choppy 30fps or less, and it never gets back up to where it was. I'm willing to try whatever tips and tricks anyone offers, but my guess is that this is a pervasive issue, at least on iPad 2.

8. rumsoft

rumsoft Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Huge fan here. Put many, many hours into MG on iPad2 before the Universal update. It's a completely different experience now, with regard to the framerate, even after a device restart. Map scrolling and in-level play are both very choppy.

9. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Not having any slowdowns on test devices. We'll look into it if we get more reports.

10. soldat7

Jul 12, 2011
    Also here and here

The framerate has definitely taken a hit.

11. Ausgeno

Ausgeno Active Member

Aug 3, 2010
    I'm also getting a noticeably chuggy framerate on the iPad 2 compared to how smooth it is on iPhone 4.

12. rumsoft

rumsoft Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2011
    I played around with this a bit more. I don't think it's the framerate. Rather, it looks to be an issue with scrolling large images in the background. For example:

On the first map screen the clouds and birds that fly across look the same as they did before the update. But when I scroll to the second/third map screen it's choppy.

In-level, if I'm not moving Lexi around then all the animations look fine. If she's standing still but attacking, those animations look fine too. And even when she's walking, the enemy, pet, and ambient animations look normal. But it's the scrolling level that's choppy.

According to what someone wrote a few posts back, I tried turning off Game Center, and that seems to help, but not completely.

We have a full range of test devices and iOS versions here, but not the pre-update binaries. If there's anything you'd like us to try and report back, just PM.

13. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Ok, will check it out. It's made a lot more difficult by me not getting any slowdowns, personally.

14. SirDarkened

SirDarkened Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    Interestingly I now have all the achievements and can confirm that you do not need to get all hats. You can miss 4 of them.

I'm currently going and getting those four.
    Btw what is the drop rate for the last hat you get in Tetramonts Estate because I spent 30 minutes grinding those giant gold miniboss enemies and no hat dropped x.X

15. arcadian

arcadian New Member

Dec 15, 2011
    "Nipping It in the Bud"

This is an awesome game. Can't say I've spent more time on any other iOS game than I have with this one.

Is there a trick to the Nipping it in the Bud achievement? I've been grinding the Tetramont levels in Story mode, knocking over the inactive golems, but haven't seen the achievement popup yet.

16. Coulbe

Coulbe Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I just got all hats. The Rook hats also drop from the Nightmare Bishops. Try there. That's how I got mine. Totally want the new game now. Multiple classes makes me drool.

I couldn't get it from them either. For some reason it doesn't work. Just wait till you get to faceless tanks. I got it from those.

17. Ben909

Ben909 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Any chance of a short summary of how to do this please? I have the latest version of MG on phone and ipad. I see MG listed in the 'file sharing' section on itunes, but I don't see save.dat.
    I hate to moan, but I think everyone was expecting the save progress to sync between devices automatically.

18. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I started playing this finally last night (only played a little). It seems like it will be fun, but the way this game handles screen rotation is bizarre and annoying. To start with the game is upside down on an iPad 2 (with regard to the placement of the folded up cover propping up the iPad) and initially you can't get it to switch, so the opening cinematic you have to flip the iPad over for. Once you're into the game you can change the setting to flip the screen, but then all your notifications are upside down and on the bottom of the screen. Why doesn't the game just auto-rotate like other stuff? I really hope this will be changed.

Also, that method of saving your save file in order to play on two devices is woefully inadequate. Why not use iCloud and make it automatic? The way it's implemented, which is completely manual, is something I'll never take advantage of. Well, actually it is useful if for some reason you want to delete the game and preserve your save file, so I think that's good, but as far as playing on two devices, it's worthless.

19. Rangerlump

Rangerlump Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Ipad 2 owner here.

Been waiting for the universal release. After the feedback so far will wait a tad longer.

(not abandoning, just waiting a few) I want my first experience to match all the praise I have read over the past month.

20. soldat7

Jul 12, 2011
    The game plays like a dream in 2x mode. Don't update yet! I wish I could go back...