GameClub Mage Gauntlet (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    It's essentially a hack n' slash action/adventure RPG, inspired by the 16-bit era. The battle is strategic with different types of enemies requiring different attack strategies, as opposed to an "attack button masher". The RPG elements are easily accessible, with no confusing sub-menus, and there are only 3 elements to level up, which really streamlines the experience. There are loads of unlockable items, but most aren't mandatory to find, making "grinding" an option instead of a necessity. The game is incredibly fun, and the game has a great sense of humour. I do not hyperbolize when I say it's probably the best 3 dollars I've ever spent. The developer frequents this thread, and listens to our concerns. I can't recommend it enough.

2. Bamboo

Bamboo Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Nice, so basically every time you level up you get stronger? And do you get magic abilities on the way? Also what have people recommended for the game?

3. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    Right, you get stronger as you level up your magic, luck, and vigor, which are the only 3 things to level up in the game. The specific effects of each are described in the game. Magic abilities are not acquired through leveling or time, instead there are spells that are found in breakable urns throughout the levels, spaced evenly and fairly between groups of enemies. The whole system works very well and is very fluid.

I'm not sure I understand your last question. "What have people recommended for the game" in terms of what??

4. Bamboo

Bamboo Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Well you said the developer (I'm pretty sure this is an indie developer - meaning only 1 developer) reads this thread frequently, and that they listen to our concerns, what i'm trying to say it, what are the concerns? (Also, indie developer means only 1 dev right?)

5. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    The developer is Rocketcat games, and they are a 3-man team. The games lead designer, Kepa, is a member here. I wouldn't really call them "concerns", more just ideas that we bounce off him to improve what is already an awesome game. Things like what spells we'd like to see more of/less of, levels to make longer/shorter/more difficult/less difficult, ideas for future collectible items, ideas for optional IAP, ideas for new types of game modes and features, and recommendations to generally further streamline the experience. He's been very cordial and patient with us as we bombard him with feedback, and definitely is the kind of developer that other developers could learn a thing or two from about how to handle feedback from gamers.

6. Bamboo

Bamboo Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Oh, then whats an indie developer then?

7. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    An indie (independant) developer is a small development team whose games are funded by the actual developers of the game, as opposed to a company who hires developers to make games for them to distribute. Rocketcat games is an indie developer.

8. Bamboo

Bamboo Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Anyways, awesome game, any1 got any tips for me, I'm up to the ruins.

9. SirDarkened

SirDarkened Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    #1269 SirDarkened, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
    Quazonk

Kepa and Petros are both devs for the game that post on here (IDK about third dev probably has better things to do). I'm pretty sure Petros (I think I'm spelling that wrong) wrote the story and does the art work (Jeremy Orlando IF I remember correctly). He comments on story based questions.

Anyhow I just want to point out that if they ever make a game >20MB the music would be insanely good. These loops are nice but with the use of extra memory they could be incredible.

10. Bamboo

Bamboo Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Hey dark, what equipment have you got? I'm up to Ruin Crossing and I have Hungry Blade, Cloth of Cold, Ring of the Zealot.

11. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    The Rocketcat dev team is Kepa Auwae, Jeremy Orlando and Brandon Rhodes. I believe Kepa does game design, Jeremy does programming, and Brandon does the story and artwork, if I remember the credits correctly...and I should, considering how many damn times I've beat the game! The music was done by 2 people named Andrea and Joey, and man did they do a killer job. Kepa, make sure they are back for the sequel! Like Dave said, with the use of extra memory the music loops would be unreal. I'd probably buy the soundtrack from iTunes!
    Soo, is "Petros" Brandon? If so, he'd be a great guy to bounce ideas off of as well.

12. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, this thread is chock full of tips. It would probably be easier for you to just read the thread a bit instead of us having to repeat ourselves to save you some clicking, right? There's every piece of info you could ever want about the game already in the thread, your questions have all been answered many times over probably just in the last 20 pages. Hope you're enjoying it!

13. Penkanuin

Penkanuin Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    A question...what is the criteria for the monster hats achievement? I only ask because I unlocked it and I still have four missing (namely the Faceless Cowl, Faceless Cap, Lumpy Mask, and Chatter Mask).

Also, is the Seeker Guise related to discovering all the secrets?

I'm really looking forward to the update for the achievement updates (regarding the secrets) as I only have three more till completion.

14. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I believe so, I forgot though, would have to look it up. That may be the one that's related to reading all the notes and books, actually.

The criteria for monster hats is getting all the hats. However, we added 4 missing hats or so in the tiny patch we did on the game's release. This threw off the numbers a bit, so now there's wiggle room for getting the hats achievement without getting every single hat possible.

CURRENTLY I am adjusting all the long story mode levels, shaving them down a little. About 6 less enemy groups per level. Also taking out all the doors that close behind you, due to popular demand. I might miss some, though.

15. SirDarkened

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    Hungry Blade is my second favorite weapon.
    I used IAP robe for entire story mode and well into master mode.
    I used IAP trinket for almost whole entire game. Every level but some boss battles.

16. Bamboo

Bamboo Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2011
    #1276 Bamboo, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
    I don't get it, what are the IAP robe and trinkets abilities?

17. Bamboo

Bamboo Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2011
    #1277 Bamboo, Nov 20, 2011
    Can you give me some more specific pages? Cuz I don't want to search through 100+ pages which will take a long time. Also, what does Silence do?

18. SirDarkened

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    There is a WIKIA with basic information on the game so we do not need to rehash info.

19. atum_ramirez

atum_ramirez Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    game designer
    #1279 atum_ramirez, Nov 20, 2011
    128 pages of posts... People really love Mage Gauntlet - which reminds me, I still haven't finished it!

Did anyone else ran past the forest orcs (or troll or whatever they where?)? I was getting bashed to bits.

20. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    Well, it's either you search through them or I do, sooo..no. lol Sorry dude, I don't remember which pages contain the most useful information. I do however recall that page 108 had some nice pointers, because I went back to it a few times. You don't need to read all 100+ pages, just check out the last 15-20 pages, I didn't start following the thread long before that, and there is a ton of info and tips for things like secret areas and attack strategies for specific levels.

Silence buff makes it so that enemies with magic abilities have no effect on you while the buff is in effect. For instance, if an enemy tosses a fireball at you, the fireball will instantly disappear once in the silence circle.